PDA

View Full Version : Constant need to refresh in Safari and Camino

macnewby
23rd August 2006, 05:10 PM
I have a new MacBook running internet over wireless connection. I'm using Cable modem and Netgear 54Mbs wireless router. 1 GB RAM, browser cache cleared.

On almost every page I access, both browsers return "cannot load....blah blah" errors. I have to refresh almost every time at least once, sometime I refresh 10 times before the page loads. Safari seems marginally worse than Camino.

I can't even post here because when I attempt to post, I get the error then refresh the screen which brings me back to the post a tpoic screen. Right now I am posting from my work computer instead. While I understand that this may be some sort of page scripting error, it happens way too often, and happens on Appletalk pages (I would have thought that this page would be pretty good regarding scripting). I tried thread searching but no one else seems to have brought up this problem. It's really one giant pain in the ass!

I'm also having problems with iChat not working (audio or video). After trying to connect about 20 times it rejects saying ".... did not accept". I have the firewall settings to allow ichat, but perhaps the router is also firewalling. But that would be strange as I did manage to get one of the attempts to work and had a short video chat before the connection went jerky, then froze and dropped out. Anyway, if the router is firewalling ichat, can anyone help as to how i can give permission for it.

I'm wondering if all this might be a bandwidth problem or if any of this rings a bell to someone out there.

PS. I am 3 weeks new to mac, so don't know much.

thorevenge
23rd August 2006, 05:46 PM
Odds are some kind of intermittent problem with your internet connection.

Have you noticed the same issue with lots of other internet related programs?

If you managed to get a sustained download like Xcode you would probably notice the download doesnt work correctly.

Also, the wireless could be having an issue as well.

snax
23rd August 2006, 07:27 PM
Plug yourself into an Ethernet LAN. If the problem disappears, then you have wireless interference and need to play with the settings. (http://www.macgeekery.com.nyud.net:8080/hacks/hardware/optimizing_airport_connectivity)

macnewby
24th August 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys. Will plug into ethernet and see what happens.

PS Thorevenge, what's Xcode?