PDA

View Full Version : Screen Shots

kaisersozay
23rd August 2006, 12:17 PM
Hit Command>Shift>4 and the cursor changes to sniper. Drag over the item and let go. A click is heard and the result is 'Picture.1' etc. The suffix being .pdf in 10.3.9 and .png in Tiger. OK in my 10.3.9, but my daughter in Sydney runs Tiger and it is not happening. Grab can be used, of course, but how does one restore Command>Shift>4 and direct where the result will land?
This is probably a very simple problem and you may well giggle, but I am stumped. Repairing Permissions did not fix it, so I hope someone has an answer to this.

Bart Smastard
23rd August 2006, 12:53 PM
Mine go to the desktop. I don't recall ever defining this, it just happens.

kaisersozay
23rd August 2006, 12:58 PM
Exactly, Bart. So do mine. But hers are just not happening. Command>Shift>4 does not change her cursor and it should.
Reinstall the System? Seems like overkill. Still stumped.

Bart Smastard
23rd August 2006, 01:07 PM
You said you're daughter's in Sydney, I assume you're not (probably Kin Kin) so are you 100% sure she's actually pressing :cmd:/SHIFT/4?

You've probably gone over it a hundred times but, from my 10 years of experience in IT, sometimes (especially over the phone) the message just doesn't get across.

kaisersozay
23rd August 2006, 01:26 PM
Once again, Bart, you are spot on. I have watched people physically not do what you are asking and it may well be the case. Curiously, I overheard her muttering the correct key combination, as she tried it.
...Sigh... God knows. It even works if you hold all three keys simultaneously. Ah well...

forgie
23rd August 2006, 01:41 PM
Some mac users don't equate Command with the Apple/Snowflake button - I have seen people press Control when Command was required.

W2ttsy
23rd August 2006, 01:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Aug 23 2006, 01&#58;41 PM) 207645</div>

Some mac users don&#39;t equate Command with the Apple/Snowflake button - I have seen people press Control when Command was required.
[/b]

my mother does this. and its even worse on my non apple keyboard. i say command blah and on the keyboard alt is command, so she goes for control.

id say its a human error and not a corrupto preference/file.

W2ttsy

mctext
23rd August 2006, 02:07 PM
If you want, you can swap the Cmd and Ctrl keys&#39; functions.
Sys Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Modifier Keys.
This might help, I guess.

andrewcod
23rd August 2006, 06:07 PM
Or just check she hasn&#39;t accidentally changed the key combination. If you&#39;re running Tiger, go System Prefs>Keyboard & Mouse> Keyboard Shortcuts.
It&#39;s under "Screen shots"
(This also lets you change the key combination)

Aa
23rd August 2006, 06:28 PM
It&#39;s probably unrelated but after installing screen snapz pro it takes over those commands and replaces them with various user defined actions, or nothing.

If it&#39;s a second hand machine, perhaps the previous user had it installed? (remote chance i know)

It&#39;d be in the Applications Folder.

kaisersozay
23rd August 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks aa...
I know about Snapz Pro. But this machine is almost new. Well, purchased new, just before last Christmas. A G5 iMac, Intel Core Duo. I have asked her to go into System Prefs>Keyboard & Mouse> Keyboard Shortcuts.
It&#39;s under "Screen shots".
As suggested earlier and get back to me. Of course a response could be days away.