PDA

View Full Version : Mac Compatible PDA/Phone Blackberry etc

macster
21st August 2006, 02:42 PM
Anyone using a cool PDA or phone that they could recommend for OS X (Panther or Tiger)

needs to sync well with Apple Mail, Addressbook and iCal.

Am I dreaming?? Treo650 - Blackberry? ? Or dread the thought a Windows Mobile based pda?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks guys,

RRRski

pipsqeek
21st August 2006, 02:44 PM
The Palm's always work very well with OS X.

My Wife's HP iPAQ is a walking disaster when it comes to those things.

Though it syncs fine with the PC :\

Missing Sync works okay, but it's not great, and a bit of a hit and miss episode from experience

pipsqeek

Cam
21st August 2006, 02:56 PM
I have a HP rx1950 and im yet to try missing sync.. but it -looks- promising.

richbowen
21st August 2006, 03:31 PM
I have a Treo and it syncs fine with Entourage. On my PowerPC mac it used to give an error message each sync, even though there was no problem. On the new Intel it works without problem.

You should check out the Apple isync page (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/features/isync/devices.html) for a full compatibility list.

You should also search Appletalk - there's been a few similar threads over the last few months.

Mctastic
21st August 2006, 03:39 PM
Palm been only company that writes software and keeps up to date with Apple. Handspring used to be very mac but no-existent now. i would hope some of the other units have some compatibility via iSync. still, it would be limited to contacts, sending/receiving files via bluetooth, possibly support connecting to internet(for the mac via bluetooth), ical(maybe). if you use the microsoft suite of packages, then palm is the one.

stasik
21st August 2006, 04:42 PM
I have been using Treo 650 in the past but have switched to Nokia E61 about a month ago. Easy the best smartphone on the market right now. Syncs beautifully with OS X.

dlmuller
21st August 2006, 04:50 PM
I've been using an i-Mate PDA2K for about 18months. The phones a POS, but it does work very well with Missing Sync and my PowerBook. (It's only redeenming feature!)

MacNut
21st August 2006, 05:07 PM
I use a Palm which has never given me problems. Also syncs with entourage if you need to

godsdice
21st August 2006, 05:29 PM
imate jaMin with missing sync hit and miss with sync

macster
21st August 2006, 06:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stasik &#064; Aug 21 2006, 04&#58;42 PM) 207129</div>

I have been using Treo 650 in the past but have switched to Nokia E61 about a month ago. Easy the best smartphone on the market right now. Syncs beautifully with OS X.
[/b]

Did you get the email to sync as well? If that is the case then I&#39;m def going with that. Would rather not mess with 3rd party software if at all possible.

Just had a look at it online and it looks impressive.

Exocet
21st August 2006, 07:42 PM
Just remember if you get a blackberry you&#39;re going to need to pay a monthly fee for push email, no matter what carrier you&#39;re with :)

raj
21st August 2006, 07:53 PM
The SE P910i supports blackberry (or does with Optus @ least) I used to use one with blackberry installed. Works great with iSync too without 3rd party junk

choy
21st August 2006, 09:08 PM
I ?5th the Treo 650 :-) - good workhorse, never any trouble syncing, and importantly designed for one-handed use. The latter point is often mised by most people, but it is *very* important when looking for a smartphone, as I&#39;m willing to bet you use your current non-smartphone one handed.

Having to use two hands (ie stylus) to dial a number or even do simple functions on the phone is a pain in the ass.

I do recommend missing sync (for palmOS) though, it really saves you time and frustration.

The other phones worth looking at are the blackberries (for push email), even though the treo has a blackberry client, the blackberry is a good device if your main purpose for a smartphone is email.

THe windows mobile smartphones (HP, iMate, O2 etc) are OK so long as you don&#39;t want to add programs (which you need windows for), and missing sync works ok, but they still suffer from a number of problems, namely memory leak, occasional crashes and sync failures (a phone problem, NOT missing sync as I sell these bastards and I can promise you the sync failures happen in windows too), and are not ready for one-handed use, although this has improved with win mobile 5.

My shortlist(in order of preference):

1.Palm:
Treo 650 - though this is about to be replaced with an antenna-less Treo 750 and increase the memory on the device see here:
http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12399

2. Blackberry:
8707V or 7100

3. Windows mobile device
With keyboard:
Benq-Siemens P51 - drool worthy, has GPS< keyboard, wifi etc , BUT not available yet&#33;

HTC TyTn - the only 3g smartphone (the imate jasjar sucks&#33;), slide out keyboard, wifi, BT, - once again, just announced, not released in Aust. yet.

HP HW 6915 (AVOID the HW 6515 - has problems) - this one has GPS and a treo-like keyboard. Non standard 240 x 240 screen though

No keyboard:
HP RW6828 : = O2 XDA atom BUT has dedicated soft keys which windows mobile 5 requires, and is cheaper&#33; THe hardware is identical, o2 just rebrnaded.

O2 XDA Atom Exec - Note the "exec" bit -this is *very* important difference. The exec model has 192mb memory vs 128, matte finish case, speedier 400mhz processor, and at the moment is selling with lots of gifts - case, IR keyboard, BT headset. I rate this lower than the HP as the HP has a nice flip cover that protects the screen when in your pocket and soft keys.

Whew&#33; Lots of phones out, confusing array, so feel free to email me if you need help and I will try to respond. You can also check out my blog site on this which is relatively up to date:
http://homepage.mac.com/choy/smartphones

If you aren&#39;t going on a carrier contract I can help with purchase.

cmjl
23rd August 2006, 01:54 PM
I have a BlackBerry thru my workplace and it syncs OK with my Mac (address book, calendar only), though I end up not doing it much because my BB contains work stuff in the main and I don&#39;t like work stuff popping up on my home Mac.

It also confuses the wife when she gets iCal popup reminders for meetings that I&#39;m attending, or about to attend, or have just attended.

dappleone
26th August 2006, 09:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MacNut &#064; Aug 21 2006, 04&#58;37 PM) 207148</div>

I use a Palm which has never given me problems. Also syncs with entourage if you need to
[/b]

I agree. I use a Palm TX. It&#39;s a great device and works well with Missing Sync for Palm OS. Take a look at a TX for comparison with others

Cheers

Johnny Appleseed
26th August 2006, 11:10 AM
I&#39;m holding out for the long-rumoured iPhone. I dare say it will work better with OS X than anything else out there.

*blick.
2nd September 2006, 01:26 PM
My Sony erricson K750i synced up calender and address book with no issues