PDA

View Full Version : Want to Create a Simple Server.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 02:00 PM
Hello,

I would like to know how i could create a server to which selected people who i give my details too could log into my computer and access all drives not just my main boot HDD. like i want them to be able to pick what drive they want to access or the ability to access all drives. I want unristricted access so they can upload & download.
Whats the easier and fastest way i could do this?
I know you can go to preferences > sharing etc.. but when let ppl access it it doesnt work. as in they cant connect or anything.

Thanks in advance.
Bye

PS: Could it be possiable that windows computer access the drives as well not only mac?

mac_man_luke
21st August 2006, 02:15 PM
need to forward ports for AFP or SMB, kinda risky having that in the open

otherwise setup FTP, much safer

Cam
21st August 2006, 02:23 PM
Best way to do this would be to use FTP.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 02:24 PM
i am happy to use FTP it's just that how do i put my external ip address in the place of my internal ip becuase atm only i can connect others cant.
Hope this kinda makes sence.

However i want them to be able to access all my drives.
Can i do that via ftp?

Cam
21st August 2006, 02:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Aug 21 2006, 02&#58;24 PM) 207061</div>

i am happy to use FTP it&#39;s just that how do i put my external ip address in the place of my internal ip becuase atm only i can connect others cant.
Hope this kinda makes sence.
However i want them to be able to access all my drives.
Can i do that via ftp?
[/b]

In MacOS X Server, yes.. you can alter the share paths. In MacOS X Client, no, by default it shares your home path only.. ( i believe this to be correct )

mac_man_luke
21st August 2006, 02:29 PM
you can use an application make new ftp shares, its called sharepoints i think

you will need to forward port 21

Currawong
21st August 2006, 02:35 PM
You need to forward the FTP port on your internet modem/router to the machine running FTP.

kit
21st August 2006, 02:43 PM
Basically put, "forwarding" ports is a way for a router to pass requests on to a specific computer on your network. I.E.; when people connect to your.external.ip.address (found at whatismyip.com for instance), they connect first to the router on the applicable port(s) (in this case, 21 IIRC), which then checks the number "21" against a list of forwarded ports which you&#39;ve set up, and then passes data on that port through to whichever computer you listed.

For detailed instructions on setting up port forwarding on your router, look at http://www.portforward.com/

Then, obviously, you&#39;ll need to turn on FTP sharing on the computer you&#39;re wanting accessed.

In vanilla OS X (not Server), the FTP server requires non-passive (sometimes spelled PASV) connections (tell that to the people connecting).

Be aware that what you&#39;re doing here is more than a little insecure. Make sure you use very strong passwords.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 02:46 PM
So which do i click on to, to do port forwarding so i can get this to work.

Pic 1 (http://www.applecollector.com/temp/pic1.jpg)
Pic 2 (http://www.applecollector.com/temp/pic2.jpg)
Pic 3 (http://www.applecollector.com/temp/pic3.jpg)

pipsqeek
21st August 2006, 02:53 PM
In your modem/router. You forward the IP address and port to the machine hosting the service.

Example:

I have a machine on my network that I want to host FTP with. It&#39;s IP address is 192.168.1.25

My external IP is whatever the ISP assigns to me. But that doesn&#39;t matte.

You log into your modem/router and forward the port 21 to the IP address of the machine above.

Now, the router does all the work. When someone ftp&#39;s to your external IP, the modem/router should look at the request, and forward the request to the machine you have set it to. From then on, the machine does all the work, authorisation, and eventually, if successfully logged in, file transfer.

pipsqeek

applecollector
21st August 2006, 03:11 PM
ok i amvery stupid when it comes to this.
So the pics above is the pannel i get when i log into my router.
So what do i have to click on to do this port forwarding.
BTW i have a dynamic IP

kit
21st August 2006, 03:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Aug 21 2006, 03&#58;11 PM) 207094</div>

ok i amvery stupid when it comes to this.
So the pics above is the pannel i get when i log into my router.
So what do i have to click on to do this port forwarding.
BTW i have a dynamic IP
[/b]

Mate, no offence, but you should really consider letting this idea go: you&#39;re really running a huge security risk here, and you&#39;d probably agree that you&#39;re not exactly qualified to do that. Essentially what you&#39;re doing is akin to getting a huge deadbolt for your door, then hiding a key somewhere outside.

However, if you insist, the link you want to click on is likely "Firewall", since that&#39;s the actual thing you&#39;re opening holes in.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 03:23 PM
None taken kit.
But i want to be able to do this so that i can access my files from school.
(Why?)
"Our Admin is an Assh**e" this way i can get around my 100mb file limit

i went here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-502T/FTP.htm

But see the picture in the advanced panel it&#39;s totally different then what i have this is why it is so confusing.
here is a pic.
www.applecollector.com/temp/adv.jpg

applecollector
21st August 2006, 03:40 PM
so for example can anyone connect to this.

ftp://203.8.183.1
or
ftp://10.1.1.2

applecollector
21st August 2006, 03:51 PM
ok then i&#39;m seeing how hard this is.
then how the hell can i make it so that i can upload and download files from my own computer via ftp or whatever.

if i call up aapt can they set up an ftp thing for me?
If someone wants to help me our and your in sydney i&#39;ll pay u i just want this done.

Cam
21st August 2006, 04:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Aug 21 2006, 03&#58;51 PM) 207110</div>

if i call up aapt can they set up an ftp thing for me?
[/b]

they probably can give you some webspace. but they definently wont help you setup your own server.

c3017474
21st August 2006, 04:41 PM
Juts out of interest, why do you need more than a 100MB of files if you&#39;re at school anyway? And if you really needed it, why can&#39;t you just transfer stuff to and from school on a 1GB USB stick - surely 1GB would give you enough space. Seems to me like you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 04:45 PM
To store files ofcourse :-)
i can do things here and if i forget i can access it at school.
Also i want my cousin to be able to access it in europe so that why i would like to do it.
I have my 1Gb iPod but i dont want to take it with me (after the recent wave of things getting stolen)

spilla
21st August 2006, 04:53 PM
have you considered a website? just get a basic plan, with a decent amount of storage, and then just ftp the files onto the site.you&#39;ll be able to access from home and school. either that, or i&#39;m sure there are sites that offer online storage (for a small fee)

c3017474
21st August 2006, 05:22 PM
Why not just opne a gmail account and give your cousin the details? That way you could both store stuff in that account and both access it? Seems to me to be a much simpler option. Plus nearly 3GB of space should be enough for anyone. And if you wanted to make it easy to upload files, just use gDisk (at least on your Mac).

Aa
21st August 2006, 05:24 PM
Dropsend (http://www.dropsend.com/) give you 250mb online for free. And 1gb for &#036;5 a month.

Is that enough for you? Also you can give the user name and access details to mates and they can share the same space.

I&#39;ve used it and it&#39;s pretty handy, I&#39;ve got my own server space nowdays so i don&#39;t really use it much.

(also) Thanks very much for that replacement HD for ther iMac mate, i don&#39;t know if i thanked you yet or not...

applecollector
21st August 2006, 05:25 PM
Then what is the point of having a server if it isnt used properly.
How could i do the Site FTP thing so that it still loads from my powermac?

applecollector
21st August 2006, 05:25 PM
Then what is the point of having a server if it isnt used properly.
How could i do the Site FTP thing so that it still loads from my powermac?

kit
21st August 2006, 05:29 PM
If you&#39;re on a normal consumer-level broadband package, hosting files greater than 100MB in size isn&#39;t really going to be a good idea anyway: the upload speeds of normal broadband only go up to about 256Kbps at the best of times. The strain would be, to say the least, enormous.

However, these sorts of things are very useful when you find you&#39;ve left a small file somewhere on the hard disk that you desperately need at school.

Though what you want really does sound like FTP is the best option, the simple decision to give read/write access to all your files to anyone with the right password is somewhat insane.

If you were prepared to share just your home folder, or just one external drive, the security risk would be significantly less and this actually might form an interesting exercise.

In that case, here&#39;s what you do:

Your adv.jpg screenshot is the right place. You choose "Server" in the category list and "FTP Server" in the available rules section, and click "Add >". Make sure 10.1.1.2 is the internal IP address of the computer you want to share (if it&#39;s not, change that option in the drop-down menu at the top).

Then click "Apply", and you&#39;re set (you may need to reboot your router to notice the changes, though that&#39;s unlikely).

Then you&#39;ll need to go into the Sharing preference pane of OS X on the computer you just pointed to, click on "FTP Access" and click "Start". It&#39;ll take a sec to start the server, then you should be right to connect to the computer with any of the usernames or passwords valid on that computer (it&#39;ll show your internal IP in the preference pane, but ignore that). Depending on the router, you should be able to test it out by trying to connect to your own external IP address.

If you&#39;re going to be doing it a lot, look at registering a dynamic DNS server at www.dyndns.org so you don&#39;t have to remember to get your IP before you leave home.

pipsqeek
21st August 2006, 05:40 PM
I saw some 1GB USB thumb sticks for &#036;26 at MSY today.

Seems this is over your head. And probably best to either let it go, or do some more reading about the subject before jumping in.

It is true. Doing this, and not knowing what you&#39;re doing will be like putting a deadbolt on your front door, and leaving the key out in front for anyone to find and use.

pipsqeek

applecollector
21st August 2006, 05:41 PM
did it just like you said.
and i still cant connect with my external ip.
atm my external ip is 61.69.231.86

Thanks

kit
21st August 2006, 05:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Aug 21 2006, 05&#58;41 PM) 207171</div>

did it just like you said.
and i still cant connect with my external ip.
atm my external ip is 61.69.231.86

Thanks
[/b]

At the moment, I&#39;m able to connect to that server (though obviously, it&#39;s telling me the login details are incorrect). If you want to set up a simple "guest"/"guest" account temporarily I&#39;m willing to test it from here.

There&#39;s a chance your router doesn&#39;t actually do port-forwarding when you&#39;re connecting from a local computer. To properly test from your computer, then, you&#39;d need to use a free proxy server (of which there are plenty on Google), and give that a whirl.

If you&#39;d like to talk more instantly, my iChat is texanpengu1n (AIM, not .Mac)

applecollector
21st August 2006, 06:46 PM
A HUGE&#33;&#33;&#33; Thanks goes to kit who fix my problem and i have a fully working server. & thanks for the quick replys.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 06:46 PM
A HUGE&#33;&#33;&#33; Thanks goes to kit who fix my problem and i have a fully working server. & thanks for the quick replys.

Aa
21st August 2006, 07:06 PM
if you feel up to it applecollector, i&#39;d love it if you posted a step by step guide seeing as you&#39;ve gone from no idea to server superstar in 5 hours ;)

applecollector
21st August 2006, 07:23 PM
yep sure lol
if u want proof that it works just pm me and i&#39;ll give you a test account to test.

kit
21st August 2006, 07:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Aug 21 2006, 07&#58;23 PM) 207210</div>

yep sure lol
if u want proof that it works just pm me and i&#39;ll give you a test account to test.
[/b]

You know, it might be a clever idea to practice security through obscurity a bit here :P. In general, the least number of people know the IP of your connection, the less they can do to take it down (through D.O.S. or even brute-force attacking of your password).

To use the key analogy, it&#39;s like hiding your key amongst hundreds of other keys; it&#39;s better than putting it under the doormat, but worse than keeping your key safe in your pocket.

applecollector
21st August 2006, 07:37 PM
i will keep it a secret then