PDA

View Full Version : Firefox unexpectedly quits

bel
18th August 2006, 09:18 PM
Hi,

I’ve just joined Appletalk, having purchased my first Mac last week – an iMac 20” Intel…so hello to everyone!

Before I ask, I’ll preface: I’ve used Macs in a limited capacity prior to purchasing one (ie using Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark etc). I’m very elementary-level on the OS though happy to learn. Bottom line is: I’m a “switcher”… but I do LOVE my new beauty!

Anyway, I have a question, hope you can help….

I like Firefox, I’m used to it. So as soon as I purchased my beauty, I downloaded and installed the thing. All went well for the first 4 days or so... Then I updated all my Apple software (now on 10.4.7). One night I watched a DVD and used the remote to put my iMac to sleep… unbeknownst to me, I forgot to quit Firefox (hey, I’m still learning!). When I awoke the iMac next day I had a message saying “Firefox has unexpectedly quit”. Fine. I OK’d it and did a restart.

Ever since then Firefox quits after 20 mins or so – especially if the screen saver kicks in. I’m trying to find a proper pattern in the fail (suspect: I usually run iTunes in the background BTW) but I can’t really diagnose at this stage. I’ve searched forums and tried repairing disk permissions, then I trashed my Firefox profiles, then I uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled. The problem still occurs.

My long-winded question is… Has anyone ever experienced such a problem? Are there any suggested resolutions? (And yes, I’ve downloaded Camino and can use that although I do like FF extensions for testing.)

Thanks,
Bel

Currawong
18th August 2006, 10:00 PM
Are you using a universal binary version of Firefox? Do you want to use Firefox specifically (for example, because you want to use specific extensions) or are you willing to consider other browsers?

bel
19th August 2006, 09:46 AM
I'm using Firefox version 1.5.0.6, I think it might be universal but I'm not too sure sorry. I really just use the Web Developer and Aardvark extensions.

I'm more than happy to use other browsers and just keep Firefox for testing but if there's a possible fix for the routine quitting, I'd like to have a go. However, if others have found that this is a common and unavoidable problem with Firefox, I'll live with it.