PDA

View Full Version : the strong Aussie $

fokker
20th November 2004, 02:44 PM
According to the US Applestore you can but the top of the line G5 for $2,999.00

Over the last several years I've been buying Apple computer.

Quadra 660 5k
Apple Clone :/ 3k (bad move)
G3 5k
G4 5.5k

Why are the Australian prices fixed to approx. $5,299.00

Our Aussie $ falls and climbs but I've still forked out 5K for the latest Apple puter :/

Obviously the price doesn't reflex the strength of the Australain $,
just the physiological price the market is willing to pay for the latest and greatest.

Apple computers are greatly overpriced, surely it doesn't cost $1481.00 to ship G5's... from Asia?

jeremy
20th November 2004, 03:03 PM
No doubt it has something to do with consumer perception. If something is more expensive, people tend to think that it must be better. Considering that Apple long ago took to selling their products above market prices, you wouldn't expect the strength of our dollar to have a huge effect. It's certainly not considered a good thing to compete on price because there'll always be someone bigger than you who'll be able to sustain even lower prices for long enough to wipe you out.

Still I do think it'd be nice if Apple would make more available in terms of low end machines, say an $800 eMac Though even $1,300 for an eMac is quite cheap compared to Apples products in the past.

Devski
20th November 2004, 03:09 PM
Prices are determined by supply and demand. Each country has a separate supply and demand curve to follow, so each country ends up with different pricing. If there were many more Australians (ie. 260million) then we would experience a substantially different supply and demand curve. Consequently our products would be cheaper.

This applies to many many products, not just Apple products. Have a look at Bose speaker prices internationally. Also look at Elgato's Eye Home, which retails in the US for $199 and in Australia for $499.

mjankor
20th November 2004, 03:12 PM
Well that's the beauty of the internet. I bought a Radeon 9800 Special Edition from the US over the net for about $650-$700 au instead of paying about $1000 here.

zen
20th November 2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by mjankor@Nov 20 2004, 03:12 PM
Well that's the beauty of the internet. I bought a Radeon 9800 Special Edition from the US over the net for about $650-$700 au instead of paying about $1000 here.
Thats true, but sometimes shipping cost from oversea's will also rape through the cost of the original product. They might be cheap but once you add the international courier cost :blink:

jeremy
20th November 2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Devski@Nov 20 2004, 03:09 PM
Prices are determined by supply and demand. Each country has a separate supply and demand curve to follow, so each country ends up with different pricing. If there were many more Australians (ie. 260million) then we would experience a substantially different supply and demand curve. Consequently our products would be cheaper.
Perhaps that's true with potatoes, or something. I don't know that it's the same with a niche market in computers. Though I suppose supply and demand principles still apply, they don't apply in a typical sense. To an extent Apple has to align their prices with market prices, but they stay out of the low-end range.

Phillip
20th November 2004, 04:54 PM
Apple Australia rips us off way too much IMO. Its been worse thou. Once people have calculated it was cheaper to just go to Hawaii's Apple Store and buy a 17" and it was STILL cheaper by a few bucks than to buying in Australia.

Hopefully the Aussie Dollar will be at 80 US cents by Macworld. Not before. Not after. Then the new products we see might be priced okay.

EDIT: I have just looked up the HK Apple Store and they have prices that are VERY close to the US Dollar at the moment. Going there in Christmas so maybe time for a new Mac. Fingers crossed New Powerbooks at Macworld that will ship before I leave.

Atomac
20th November 2004, 05:24 PM
When Apple introduced the latest Powerbooks they reoriented the prices to more consistent with international prices. Some machines dropped by $800 in price. They can't have the price of the machines fluctuating with vagaries of currency fluctuations, but if the Australian Dollar consistently stayed high on the Greenback then they would again adjust the price. My argument last time was that if our dollar collapsed nobody would stand for increased pricing.

I think that it is wise of Apple not to compete on price. Realistically the packages which they sell are, as we know, competitively priced. It is just that people see a PC advertised for $800 without either understanding or considering the other costs such as software.

mjankor
20th November 2004, 05:28 PM
The price i mentioned for my radeon 9800 took postage, gst etc into account.

Snowy28
20th November 2004, 06:17 PM
I have noticed that the price of the products is plus GST, and then an additional mark-up ...

It must be to do with not having to have fluctuating prices, as the UK iTMS is a fair bit more expensive than the US, but the UK Pound fluctuates

iluvmymactoo
20th November 2004, 06:31 PM
A top of the line PowerBook is about $600 cheaper in Thailand than in Australia.

Going there in a few weeks...... :blink:

Kreats
20th November 2004, 06:52 PM
Apple's Australian customers have always got the shaft regarding prices on Apple hardware. Realistically the long term value of our dollar should be about 0.70 USD- it has fluctuated a bit recently (up and down) but that is around the right mark.

Apple hardware has always had a significant premium even above that mark. But I don't think they'll be changing their policy anytime soon - unless people stop defending their gouging as justified and start kicking up a stink generally.

the_OM
20th November 2004, 07:21 PM
You can't realistically expect Apple Australia to change their prices according to how the aussie dollar is performing day by day.

They price machines when they're launched according to what the aussie dollar has been trading at.
I'm sure that there have been instances in the past where Apple have set a price when the dollar was high, and then it dropped and they've suffered some loses. How many people were whinging about pricing then and saying that Apple should increase their prices so it makes it more inline with US pricing?

This argument comes up all the time on the various mac boards. So here's the best suggestion for how you should cope with this travesty: If think that the price is too high, then simply don't buy it, Or simply wait until an update is released and the prices are changed accordingly.

And p.s. you should actually know what your talking about before you post..... since when has supply and demand played a role in the differentiation of international pricing? That was a new one, and I kinda got a kick out of it.

Kreats
20th November 2004, 07:34 PM
They shouldn't set prices based upon day-to-day trading rate for currencies, they should base it on the average worth of a currency - which they haven't been doing.

Sure Apple has the right to protect itself from losses - they've more than covered themselves in the past. It's not going too far to encourage treatment that is a little fairer for future pricing. Maybe it would even boost sales?

Also - I don't think that 'simply not buying it' is really that constructive a comment.

fokker
21st November 2004, 12:07 PM
from what I understand Apple's prices are defined (when who knows) based on a the exchange rate at the time. The prices remains that way for an entire year regardless of change.

:|

I remember Range Rover ads promoting the fact that you could buy a yuppie 4WD with the Aussie $$$ being so strong. hmmmmm luxary item, I think so. I consider my Mac being the Royals Royce of the computing wolrd, don't you?

p996911turbo
21st November 2004, 12:58 PM
Seeing the G5 I want would cost AU$900 less if I bought it from the US and USPS will ship 44.4 pounds (the weight of a G5) for AU$356 in only 2-3 days, would it be more sensible to get it from the US?

varsis
21st November 2004, 01:17 PM
well i think it's worth it for you there but you get the apple set up not sure you guys have diffrent keyboards like in canada i can get a french key board just depends but if it's the same and all well it would be a 100% worth it in the long run but ouch 356 for shiping thats a fair bit why don't you get the longer shipping time if u can get the shipping for half of that then your still saving more every penny could do you some good to get a monitor some stuff you want for it!

p996911turbo
21st November 2004, 01:25 PM
Well the keyboard isn't a problem no matter what they give me, I intend to use the one I currently have (I just don't like the new design). Although the US ones come with Mac OS X U.S. English instead of International English so I'd probably be up for a local OS X - I don't want the slightest hint of American spellings anywhere...

And I'd definitely go for cheaper shipping, I just couldn't be arsed looking for it; $356 is the only price the USPS wanted to give me.

mjankor
21st November 2004, 01:56 PM
Also make sure you've taken import tax and GST into account.

fokker
21st November 2004, 03:47 PM
the funny thing is you'd probably receive your G5 faster via the US.

I waited 2+ months for the my PowerBook and 3 months for my G4 1.42 :|

not sure what exchange rate you used Turbo, but I calculated a $1500 price diff.

mjankor, how much is the import tax?

p996911turbo
21st November 2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah, mjankor, how much tax would I be up for?

Fokker, I'm going on a dual 2GHz machine + a couple of options and I converted it with www.xe.com/ucc

edit: I haven't the slightest idea what I did last time. I just went over it all again and got a $1500 difference. I think I must have clicked the wrong option or something the first time.

estoyloco
21st November 2004, 07:40 PM
Devski got it right..

we arent getting ripped off... it does seem that way....

We have a tiny population and a tiny economy.... they are a giant. There dollar is more valueable than ours to start and the list goes on and on.. prices do adjust slightly for our dollar but companies know that ours is quite volitile so they price accordingly..

Apple needs to take into account the exchange rate volitility etc...along with others... ignorant reporters whine about this but they dont really understand how it all works..

I know it sucks but there is always online buying, and USPS.... its saved me 000's. Use USPS ( a postal service ) rather than a courier and duty shouldnt be a problem.. go read the customs website if you want to know more about that.