PDA

View Full Version : HELP PB G4 won't sleep w/lid down!

chocho
17th August 2006, 10:59 PM
hi

i just tried to shut the powerbook lid down so it goes to sleep and , no sleep! tried thesame, no go.......
it sleeps from the command in the apple menu fine, but not with the lid down!

any ideas?

cheers

:unsure:

Mikey
18th August 2006, 12:04 AM
My 12" PB did this until I realised I had my new 20" screen plugged in and I had to make it sleep from the screen power button...

chocho
18th August 2006, 12:08 AM
not using any external displays here. maybe it's something with the magnetic latch/switch...........

ClockWork
18th August 2006, 12:36 AM
Chocho,

Your sig shows three Powerbooks. Which one is it?

Suggestion 1: Open System Preferences... and check your Energy Saver settings.

Suggestion 2: When you close the lid, take a careful look to see if the keyboard is correctly seated. If the lid is pressing a key or keys down as it's closing, it obviously won't sleep.

Suggestion 3: If you've got it set to receiving Faxes, go to System Preferences... -> choose Print & Fax -> click the Faxing tab and uncheck Receive faxes on this computer.

Suggestion 4: Reboot whilst holding down: :cmd: + option + O + F keys - to boot into Open Firmware. At the 0> prompt, type: reset-nvram

Press your return key.

ok

type: reset-all

Press your return key.

ok

It'll then Restart.

Test again.

cw

BiRDBRAiN
18th August 2006, 01:22 PM
Last time I saw this, it was a problem with the latch.

It happened to a friend's 15" powerbook.

kungfucamel
18th August 2006, 02:18 PM
i had a similar problem with my PB G4 a couple of months ago where once i closed the lid, it would sleep but then awake again a couple of seconds later. I later found out that my "j" key on my keyboard was ultra sensitive when i restarted my mac and couldnt log in because it wouldn't accept my password.

took it to my local Apple shop and they replaced the keyboard on it (still under Applecare warranty).

it's been working fine ever since.