PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling PowerBook to fund MacBook purchase

haydn678
17th August 2006, 07:13 PM
Hey guys,

I'm considering selling my powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 1GB 80GBHDD to purchase a macbook (not pro). Does anyone know of any good comparisons between my PB and the MacBook? I'm quite happy with the way the PB performs, but I'm starting to become frustrated with the dim display and of course I also want to ge an intel based mac - PPC will surely be forgotten about soon....
For the price second hand PBs are selling for (about 1500 right?? it will only cost a few extra hundred to get the macbook.
I can live without the PCMCIA slot and FW800, but are there any other factors to consider?
Ocasionally I do some video editing with iMovie and I'm also interested in Dual booting w/ windows for a bit of (VERY) casual gaming.

Any advice you can offer would be great!
Cheers
Haydn

mechcon
17th August 2006, 07:47 PM
everyone will say "omg like it sh1ts over teh ghey powerbooks"

but my question for you haydn, does the powerbook do a good job for what you do now with it? or is it too slow?

also ppc wont be dropped off the support world for another 4-5 years

aspro
17th August 2006, 07:49 PM
Well I switched up from a PB 12" 1.5ghz and the Macbook gets pretty much the exact same performance playing World of Warcraft (I'd say slightly better, but nothing dramatic), but all non-gaming tasks seem MUCH faster!

I don't game that much but Civilization IV and World of Warcraft run pretty nicely (WoW running under windows, seems to run better and I only have the windows version of Civ)

invisible
17th August 2006, 07:50 PM
my crude advice...dont

im honestly thinking of selling my macbook to buy a powerbook. although it totally depends on what you intend to use it with, if all your progams are intel, then of course it would be worth the switch but if you're fingers are crossed for UB versions of MS office, photoshop, flash, dreamweaver et al.. you might be waiting a while, and rosetta like running a g3.

if your screen is dim, splash out on an external (at least you can still use it when you upgrade)

mechcon
17th August 2006, 07:52 PM
EXACTLY!

spargo
17th August 2006, 08:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(invisible &#064; Aug 17 2006, 10&#58;50 AM) 206005</div>

if your screen is dim, splash out on an external (at least you can still use it when you upgrade)
[/b]

I too contemplated a sale and upgrade as the MB&#39;s and MBP&#39;s came out, because I have another opportunity to do a tax-free purchase when leaving the UK later this year.

But i&#39;m not going to.

In all honesty the PB&#39;s rock&#33; No, they aren&#39;t Intel; and no they can&#39;t dual-boot Windows; but mine still rockets along and does everything I want in a mobile machine, used for work and for hone uses. It still does everything I brought it for 2 years ago to the week, and doesn&#39;t feel like its slowing down as I&#39;ve gotten newer and newer Windows machines at work to compare it to. And my photo-editing and music mucking-about really won&#39;t dramatically improve unless I wait another year or two and then make the upgrade.

As invisible suggested, try and rejuvenate your PB with some new tricks - I got an external screen to span to which has me using it a lot more for my work at home, and I tried out some new software to revitalise my interest in it.

Boom.. my PB feels just like new again&#33;

BiRDBRAiN
17th August 2006, 08:03 PM
Why does everyone say Rosetta is so slow?

It is certainly slower than a UB application, but its certainly not mind-numbingly-go-make-yourself-a-coffee-while-you-wait-for-a-click-to-register slow.

EDIT: I&#39;ll just add, I will be doing more and more with .NET and something which can run Windows will certainly be of benefit to me. Believe me anything that runs better than VPC7 will be an improvement&#33;

blindfox
17th August 2006, 08:20 PM
I actually did exactly what you&#39;re contemplating doing, purchased a Macbook to replace the 15" pb, same specs as yours.

So after a few days of use, I&#39;m pretty pleased with it. Overall it&#39;s just plain faster & nicer to use. Eg, encoding a DVD from a home movie took about half the time as the PB & the ability to run windows is useful.

In terms of gaming, I didn&#39;t find it much better (World of warcraft) - I assume this is to do with the integrated graphics. However I have a noisy PC tower I can boot up to play games on, so it doesn&#39;t really matter to me.

It will be nice when all the apps go UB, but so far I have no regrets purchasing - it&#39;s a good little machine and well priced.

I also quite like the new MB style keyboard - I find it better to type on that the PB - but that&#39;s entirely subjective ;)

Cheers, Nick

haydn678
17th August 2006, 10:02 PM
Blindfox brings up a good point about the graphics. My PB sports a 128MB Radeon 9700, I wonder how that compares to the MB&#39;s 64MB Intel 950....

qwijibo
19th August 2006, 11:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(haydn678 &#064; Aug 17 2006, 10&#58;02 PM) 206066</div>

Blindfox brings up a good point about the graphics. My PB sports a 128MB Radeon 9700, I wonder how that compares to the MB&#39;s 64MB Intel 950....
[/b]

For heavy 3D stuff, the 9700 will rape the i950. My memory is a bit hazy, but for most things, I think the 9700 would compare closer to the x1600 in the MBP.

As for rosetta apps being slow - there is only one PPC app I run, and thats MS office. Like BirdBrain said, its not mind numbingly slow, but in some cases things do get a bit laggy. Especially noticible when when compared to UB apps which go like a raped goose.