PDA

View Full Version : Total Uptime Counter

Beast5500
17th August 2006, 02:39 PM
It it possible in OS X or any 3rd party compatible app to view the number of total hours used since it was manufactured?

iSlayer
17th August 2006, 02:42 PM
nope and its virtually impossible to do accurately

ClockWork
17th August 2006, 03:01 PM
I have a fague memory - from using TechTool Pro (http://www.macmall.com.au/mall/customer/search.php?substring=TechTool+Pro) as a diagnostic - that in certain windows in feed-back of results, it mentions the hours that the machine has been running from year dot.

It's not something I ever carefully looked at - I only have a vague recollection of Tech Tool spitting out this kind of extra information. "Why" it does that, is beyond my knowledge.

[Also - I cannot be certain if the latest upgrade - version 4.5.1 - even does it].

cheers,

cw

mac_man_luke
17th August 2006, 03:15 PM
About the only way would be to look in the smart data of your hard drive, that can tell you how long it has been spinning for total - no good if you have replaced your drives though

chrism238
17th August 2006, 03:24 PM
CoconutBattery reports the age of your battery, in months.
So perhaps the battery may be queried for *its* date (if this doesn't come from
its serial number). May help, or not.... :huh:

iSlayer
17th August 2006, 03:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chrism238 &#064; Aug 17 2006, 03&#58;24 PM) 205919</div>

CoconutBattery reports the age of your battery, in months.
So perhaps the battery may be queried for *its* date (if this doesn&#39;t come from
its serial number). May help, or not.... :huh:
[/b]

getting the battery manufacturing date isnt hard but it doesnt help get the total uptime because the system may not be on 24/7 plus the system wouldnt have been used from the day the battery was made, and of course only laptops have batteries

chrism238
17th August 2006, 03:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iSlayer &#064; Aug 17 2006, 01&#58;28 PM) 205920</div>
getting the battery manufacturing date isnt hard but it doesnt help get the total uptime because the system may not be on 24/7 plus the system wouldnt have been used from the day the battery was made, and of course only laptops have batteries
[/b]Fully agreed, but as we&#39;re talking laptops, stats from the hard-drive probably suffer the same weaknesses.

mctext
17th August 2006, 03:57 PM
Actually Coconut Battery doesn&#39;t give the age of the battery but of the computer.
I just installed a new battery and CB still reads:
Age of your Mac: 18 months.
So it&#39;s a rough guide.