PDA

View Full Version : lil rubber fell off ibook

Saggas
17th August 2006, 11:06 AM
hi, got an ibook in february. about 3 weeks ago, lil rubber stopper than holds the screen above the keyboard when closed fell off. and when I mean fell off, i opened the laptop and it FELL OFF.
I went to my local apple supplier when this happened, they said, no worries should be a warranty job, we'll get onto it.
I got a call back today, and they said its a 'non warrantable' part, and that it will cost me if I want it replaced.. $168!!!!! dollars. They tech support guy said I should get onto apple customer relations.
So I call them up, and after 45mins of talking to different indian people, I got 'No since the part is non funtional it won't be covered under warranty, goodbye'
What do I do now?

ClockWork
17th August 2006, 11:10 AM
Do you still have it? (The little rubber stopper, not the iBook).

paulharrop
17th August 2006, 11:11 AM
I have had kids pick these off on our 24 ibooks at school. I very carefully put a touch of superglue on the back of the stopper and stick it back on. Failing that you may find at a hardware store some small, white, rubber, self-adhesive things that you could replace the original ones with.

Paul

Saggas
17th August 2006, 11:15 AM
luckily I do have it..
looks bloody thin, i might have to get the misses to stick it back on with her thin fingers. any old superglue will do? I don't want it to start melting the plastic or nothing

ClockWork
17th August 2006, 11:37 AM
User a pair of tweezers.
Super-glue bonds plastics to plastics very nicely - in around 5 seconds - shouldn't melt anything if it's already hard after 10 seconds - it not acid =)

cw

jesski
17th August 2006, 12:06 PM
$168!!! What a shame.... One of our ibooks is missing one.. unfortunately we don't have it. I'd been wondering how one goes about getting another one.. but at $168, I think I'll just live without! Good luck with yours, Saggas.

- Jesski

ClockWork
17th August 2006, 12:10 PM
Jesski,

See Paul's Post 3 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s=&showtopic=24785&view=findpost&p=205820). You can buy 'em from hardware stores - or something similar. Make do!

cheers

cw