PDA

View Full Version : Getting fed up with Apple Forum

iluvmymactoo
20th November 2004, 10:23 AM
Since the 10.3.6 update the Apple Forum seems to have become a police state. I don't know if it's just an over zealous moderator or just an American mentallity (don't criticise us we know better than everybody), but there isn't a day goes by where posts are locked, edited or deleted by the moderator's if they are perceived as being critical in any way.

I understand they have guidelines, but I think the way they are being heavily moderated is a real turn off. This is a new thing there too. I know they have always done this, but in the last few weeks it's gotten out of control.

My two cents worth.

Phillip
20th November 2004, 01:24 PM
Apple Forums has always been very strict.

Currawong
20th November 2004, 02:46 PM
Well, if this place started to become a bitch and complain fest about everything, it would get moderated seriously as well. Complaining doesn't solve problems, and fair enough should they need to force the forums to stay on topic :)

macintoshrules
20th November 2004, 03:52 PM
I got banned from two forums and 1 irc channel for "posting stupid mac stuff" even though it was actually screenshots of Windows doing stupid things. I am used to heavily moderated forums... the moderator on one of them even calls himself a nazi.

iluvmymactoo
20th November 2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Nov 20 2004, 02:46 PM
Well, if this place started to become a bitch and complain fest about everything, it would get moderated seriously as well. Complaining doesn't solve problems, and fair enough should they need to force the forums to stay on topic :)
I agree about the bitching and wining, it should be moderated. But what I'm talking about are posts that are complaining about 10.3.6 not working etc. One thread was locked for example because the moderator "felt the topic had been answered". :rolleyes:

Posts are being edited with a note by the moderator saying "this post has been edited". It's getting heavy handed there.

Just thought it a bit strange is all.

LCGuy
20th November 2004, 10:21 PM
I gave it a go for a couple of months and gave up. Why bother when there's better forums (such as this one) that i'm already a member of?

zefi
21st November 2004, 08:36 AM
I've never had a problem with a moderator on the Apple forums, and I think it can get annoying if the question has been posed before an the user hasn't bothered to search for an answer first. I can see your concern though too. Its no fun if things are getting locked left, right, centre.

tranp
21st November 2004, 10:05 AM
I like these forums very much, somewhat less strict then say overclockers australia forums.

kim jong il
21st November 2004, 02:34 PM
This forum has been really well managed from the start. Being free of flames and general nastiness makes it a pleasant place to visit. Another bonus is that they have not felt the need to appoint every person and their dog moderators. My ISP aanet are actually comical in this respect; where now about a quarter of the forum posters are moderators of varying orders (junior moderator, senior moderator, esteemed members and super-moderators, word counts, post counts and finally 2 types of member ratings are all features) (by contrast Appletalk have about a half dozen normal people for the same number of members and a nice clear format)

We have a few post junkies but not many. One of the few remaining forums where status is not dictated and awarded by the individuals numbers of posts regardless of relevance. I nice egalitarian spot on the whole.

designers_hub
21st November 2004, 02:36 PM
surpirsed this thread hasn't been closed yet, it would have proven your point ;)

iluvmymactoo
21st November 2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by designers_hub@Nov 21 2004, 02:36 PM
surpirsed this thread hasn't been closed yet, it would have proven your point ;)
I don't mean this forum, I'm talking about the Apple Website :)

designers_hub
21st November 2004, 03:13 PM
LOL ok

well its apple they want you to conform like any company. They wont like any opposition or bad publicity.

kim jong il
21st November 2004, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that the admins here had to get permission from Apple to use the name AppleTalk (did this get mentioned in an early thread?). With this permission you can be pretty damn sure conditions came as well. I can't imagine Apple actually trying to moderate things remotely but if we had threads that were basically attacking Apple Computer (as an entity) then the forum might have a different name pretty damned quickly

the_argon
21st November 2004, 06:09 PM
AppleTalk is a registered trademark of Apple Computer (as stated at the bottom of every page) and therefore we can only use the name to create a site related to apple products, supporting them, and providing news / discussion.

I am not sure why Apple would try and moderate this site but if it does get to that point then the AppleTalk team would probably have to take that into consideraton when thinking about the site direction.

I honestly don't think Apple have even noticed us yet, but as the site grows I personally hope that we get an Apple representative to post on here, as they would be another great resource to add to the site.

Disko
22nd November 2004, 09:24 AM
I'd like to add: we're not apple's bitches. They don't dictate content.

If by some outlandish lawyer-claim Apple say "you must change X thread to comply with Y press release" due to "AppleTalk" being an apple trademark, then i'll do it because i'm unable to afford legal representation myself. Shortly following such an action, it would be fair to assume a name change would be in order.

Though, the use of Apple's trademark doesn't mean they can tell us what to post, so this is pretty much a waste of discussion. :)

What i'm trying to say: Fear not - AppleTalk is safe from Apple edits. If it gets edited *ever* - you'll all know, because i'll make it known.

iSlayer
22nd November 2004, 09:27 AM
they can however tell you to change the site name as it is a violation of trademark laws.
but we know apple wont worry about it because this a a small site of 1000 members which probably hasnt even appeared on apple's radar

no offence meant.
i love this site.

Disko
22nd November 2004, 09:31 AM
It's not a violation of trademark laws, we're operating well withing Apple's Trademark guidelines (http://www.apple.com.au/legal/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html). :)

No offence taken - but you really should know what you're talking about before you post.

iSlayer
22nd November 2004, 09:38 AM
sorry dude.
i assume that this site is non profit then?
i thought will all the advertising yiou might have made a few $ from it.

Disko
22nd November 2004, 09:50 AM
That's right, we're non profit. Have a read of our contact (http://www.appletalk.com.au/contact.php) page. It outlines a few things, including our history. Also each of our sponsors has provided appletalk with a service, be it lending us hardware to review, tech support, hosting... We don't accept cash.

kim jong il
22nd November 2004, 12:24 PM
Sorry Disko et al. Thought to be a bit more... something and chased up the original threads where this was discussed earlier this year. The first discusses with links (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=305&hl=trademark) the apple trademark and the second is a discussion about the name (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=5&hl=trademark) for the forum. Decryptions first post in the latter blows my statements in this thread out of the water (re apple that is)

purana
22nd November 2004, 04:06 PM
And lets just say apple gets heavy handed with the content here and tries to do things it shouldn't. I can't imagine everyone is going to sit back and let it happen. Let alone those people who set this up from the beginning.

I can't imagine Apple would be stupid enough to stir the pot, cause if they screw us around they ultimately could loose 1000 happy apple users of this site (which might otherwise never deal with an apple item again).

ford.boy
24th November 2004, 12:33 PM
Apple wouldn't do anything to kill it's 'fan site' forums -- because it would damage the 'friendly community' Apple pushes so hard their advertising etc.
It would be stupid for them to get in a huff about it.