PDA

View Full Version : How to burn a CD with `out of the box' MacBook Pro

tania2412
16th August 2006, 03:30 PM
I've been reading all about Toast and Roxio etc but if I need to copy a data CD/DVD on a MacBook Pro with just the software that comes automatically installed on it, what would I be using?

richqc
16th August 2006, 03:46 PM
It is all explained well in these two documents here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1749.html) and here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42663).

macmate
16th August 2006, 03:51 PM
if you can't be bothered clicking those links...... which i suggest you do.

The software that comes with the mac is called disk burn. its part of the system (you can also use disk utility for some purposes).

simply put in your blank cd/dvd select the type of disk you want to burn ie pick open in finder for data.. then simply drag your files onto the icon of the cd. make sure your actaully copying the data and not just creating a shortcut/alias, this is quite common

tania2412
16th August 2006, 03:54 PM
cool ta - I didn't realise that the apple website had such a comprehensive `how to' section...looks like I've got some reading ahead of me :)

macmate
16th August 2006, 03:59 PM
tania2412 - also if it hasn't been done already....... Welcome to the land of Mac OS X. enjoy your mac

W2ttsy
16th August 2006, 04:01 PM
im not on my mac at the moment :( so i cant give a software solution, but i can suggest a work around that will work.

if its just plain data (files and folders) then just create a new burnable folder on the desktop (its under the file menu) and option drag the CD/DVD icon onto the folder. this will create a burnable folder with the contents of your current optical media.
holding down option will insure you get a copy of the drive contents instead of an alias (which is no good).

once all the files are copied across, eject your current disc and get ready to insert a new one. open the burns folder and click the burn button on the top right.

insert your blank disc when prompted and then let it burn.

once its done, it will mount to the desktop and then you can use it like any other disc. to free up hard drive space it would be wise to delete the burns folder now you are finished with it.

W2ttsy