PDA

View Full Version : Intel iMac lock up

rtyuiop
16th August 2006, 09:06 AM
Hi folks,

Had a weird problem on an iMac last night - running programs were working fine, but I couldn't launch anything new (just got a bouncing dock icon), and couldn't quit anything (just got a spinning beach ball until I force quit). Tried to restart, and after bringing up the cancel/restart option, I clicked restart and just got a spinning beach ball.

Eventually couldn't think of anything else to do - couldn't open terminal, so had to hold in the power button to reboot. It came up fine, but can anyone suggest what the best thing to do in such a situation is?

Didn't have anything unusual running - Thunderbird, Adium, Camino, and DVD Player I think. And all of those were force quit by the time I hit the power button...

Cheers,

Danny

macmate
16th August 2006, 09:15 AM
sounds strange. one off crashes/weird situations aren't usually much to worry about, its when they start to repeat themselves that we have a real problem.

sounds like your finder or windows server went a little crazy..

keep an eye on it and if it happens again then more investigation will be necessary. if you want to investigate a little now then i suggest going to Applications-> Utilities->Consol and taking a look at your crash logs.

Ric