PDA

View Full Version : Help: Macbook DVD Drive Ejects Disks when trying to mount

William
15th August 2006, 06:11 PM
Hi,

I have a brand new Macbook, recieved last tuesday and for some reason it will sometimes eject cds when I it to mount them.

So far it has done it for 3 copies of Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac,

Everytime I try and run a disk on parallels

When I try and install Windows on Bootcamp it kind of gets a little way in the widnows insatller and then makes strange spinning up and spinning down sounds (tried several times each time I got to a different part of the installer)

Has anyone had this problem, if so how do I fix it.

Please help

Thanks

William

choy
16th August 2006, 12:16 AM
YOur drive is stuffed. I saw this issue at macfixit.com. Apparently some macbook drives are very sensitive to even slight differences in CDs due to the labels/ slight variance in thickness. Take it back to the store you got it can demonstrate for them the problem (since it is an intermittent problem and not with all disks you need to reproduce it)

titan44
16th August 2006, 08:33 AM
I have had this with my macbook, i was backing up files to cd and dvd, after burning about 5 disks with toast, my macbook would just come up with errors and a constant clicking from the lasers assem's stepper motor the minute it started burning, if it read the disk at all, mostly it would just eject the disk. I first put it down to dodgy media ( the cheapo MTV CD-R's from coles ) but then i tried with a sony dvd-r ( IMO the only media to use for dvd burning ) and it crapped out again. I rebooted it, reset pram e.t..c and let it rest from burning duties for a few days, and it came good again and i haven't had a problem since ( chucked the MTV disks though). So you may want to give that a shot.

But as choy said, there are known issues with some of these drives. Get yea to a mac store and get it replaced ( i haven't had the time yet ).

choy
16th August 2006, 10:30 PM
You might also want to check out this link:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=2006081511205895

you're not alone with this issue and apparently apple is replacing them on a "Case by case basis"