PDA

View Full Version : Classic OS 9.2.2

kaisersozay
15th August 2006, 05:18 PM
Recently installed OS 10.4 Tiger on a G4 466 Digital Audio. Clean install with no problems (that I can see). Then my friend needs to have Classic available so it required OS 9.2 to also be installed.
To handle this, I transferred my OS 9.2.2 system (which work just fine) via Firewire. It shows up on his machine and after a restart was 'blessed'.
When attempting to open in Classic, it went almost to completion then threw up this odd Connection Failed window.
Clicking OK removes the window, but another and another etc., keep on coming.
I tried opening Classic with the Shift key to disable Extensions and it did so, but still brought on the window.
Neither Tiger nor OS 9 are configured with any internet connection, as I do not know what his arrangements, ISP, modem, details etc are. And one should not need this information to deliver a computer to any individual, who can then set it up for their own use.
I have an old 9.1 disk and thought I might delete OS 9.2.2, install 9.1 and use the update combo's to bring it back as a virgin install. However, his unit will not allow me to delete OS 9.2.2 with a window which says "cannot delete as system is required".
Now, I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.
[attachmentid=515]
Anyone have any ideas?

stefanlod
15th August 2006, 05:29 PM
Is your system capable of booting into Mac OS 9?

soulman
15th August 2006, 05:38 PM
I don't quite understand the connection failure message - Recent Server aliases in the 9.2.2 Apple Menu maybe? - but it's quite possible that your OS9 system folder won't work with your friend's machine anyway. Classic MacOS installs were specific to the machine unless a universal system was explicitly installed. OS X installs are universal but they can't be moved easily.

I would search Apple's KB articles and find the preferred method for installing Classic.

stefanlod
15th August 2006, 05:43 PM
Maybe if you can boot of OS 9, try to boot off your 9.1 CD and install to your OS X disk that way. If not, and this is only a stab in the dark, check that the system folder isn't locked or has the wrong permissions?

This article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106294#m9) talks about installing classic after OS X. You might want to give it a read.

kaisersozay
15th August 2006, 05:57 PM
It did show up in the Start Up Disk choices and I have successfully booted OS 9 as the Start up disk.
Restarted and tried to run in Classic, but again the same message.
It is interesting to me that the message is OSX specific (There is no Network in OS 9, to my knowledge) and I am puzzled as to why it would be searching for an IP when the initial install, chose not to do any Internet connections.
I have read the Apple Knowledge base as suggested and thet may be where the conflict lies. I will study it more thoroughly and try again to resolve the issue tomorrow.

kaisersozay
16th August 2006, 05:08 PM
Just in case anyone has an interest...
Examined all the info from the Apple knowledge base and found the solutions to be confusing and sometimes contradictory.
Also, as time has passed my OS 9 CD's seem to have become missing. I guess loaned and not returned, etc.
The only ones's I possess are model specific. iBook, iMac G3, iMac G5. Cannot find any for my G4. Irritating. Further, I was annoyed when I thought I would delete the OS 9.2.2 system by booting with my Tiger DVD and simply opening the disk and trashing the system. No such luck. When retail Tiger boots, no HDDs are visible. Beats me.
So, back to Classic... opened it again from System Preferences and simply clicked OK when that inexplicable window (see Post #1) opened. It opened 7 times before disappearing. Voila! Classic runs.
Annoying to do the 7 click-offs and perhaps that will change, when my friend configures his Internet (though God knows why).
Its the best I can do.
The final solution would be to open Disk Utility and erase the whole partition and start again with OS 9 as the first install. Tedious beyond belief.

ClockWork
16th August 2006, 07:04 PM
If one has a Mac OS 9.2.2 Install CD laying about, one can simply drag the folder: System Folder from it into the main Tiger HD icon - to copy it across.

Go to System Preferences... -> click on Classic -> click on the toggling arrow next to the name of your HD to open it -> click on System Folder -> tick both: Warn before starting Classic - and - Show Classic status in menu bar.

Restart machine and you should be able to start Classic from the Classic Menu item up top right of screen. Classic should just begin and be blessed.

Note: I do not think this is possible with the Intel Apple Macs.

cheers,

cw