PDA

View Full Version : my macbook died on me

mac7
15th August 2006, 12:10 PM
Hi

I'm new here.. so I'll just introduce myself first.. as you can see from my username is mac7, I'm currently in melbourne.

ok to the topic..

my macbook, is 2 months old, recently worked just fine until suddenly when I was browsing internet, it died.. I tried to turned it on again but it refused.. it was on for about 5 sec and then died again.. I leave it for a while and tried to powered on again and it worked just fine.. the macbook was using a battery at that time and it was fully charged..

should I be worried about this? or it's just normal or it's just me accidentaly touched the wrong button?

my macbook is the black one.

thorevenge
15th August 2006, 12:20 PM
Try removing the battery and plugging into DC power.

See if the Mac starts.

Quamen
15th August 2006, 01:46 PM
I had the same problem with mine. Would randomly loose power after waking from sleep. Dead (or dying) logic board. Got it replaced at myMac on flinders st.

Take to to your local Apple Centre and show them how it shuts itself down. They're get it fixed for you.

tintinaujapon
15th August 2006, 01:58 PM
Just from what you've said, the battery is definitely not charged.

Do MacBooks have the battery indicators on the underside like older PowerBooks?

Plug in the power and start up. Not very difficult to test where the problem lies really.

If it is the battery, it must be faulty to have such poor performance so soon, and will be covered by warranty.

Brewster
15th August 2006, 02:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tintinaujapon &#064; Aug 15 2006, 01&#58;58 PM) 205151</div>

[/b]

Yes

Quamen
15th August 2006, 07:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tintinaujapon &#064; Aug 15 2006, 01&#58;58 PM) 205151</div>

Just from what you&#39;ve said, the battery is definitely not charged.

Plug in the power and start up. Not very difficult to test where the problem lies really.

If it is the battery, it must be faulty to have such poor performance so soon, and will be covered by warranty.
[/b]

It could be the case, but if it happens while connected to the power then you have the issue I had: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=24056

theov
15th August 2006, 08:29 PM
I would say it is either the logic board going sour, as happened with mine or there could be a problem with the battery connector to the logic board which was another problem i was lucky enough to have. Take it to an authorised repairer and they&#39;ll be able to fix it up for you.

mrbolano
15th August 2006, 09:03 PM
Do a google on &#39;sudden macbook shutdowns&#39; and you will find heaps of info on this annoying phenomenon.

I&#39;ve had my black Macbook&#39;s logic board replaced and the fault returned with intensity within 24 hours.

Now I&#39;m hassling Apple about getting a new one.

mac7
16th August 2006, 12:09 AM
wow. thanks a lot for all the reply.

my macbook now running on AC power only, I discharged the battery. I wanna see if the problem still persist but no problem at all for the moment.

I will definetly consider the advice for bring the macbook to apple centre. The second my macbook have a sudden shutdown again, I will run to apple centre. :)

for now, I think I will just pray so that nothing bad happened and backup all my files. it&#39;s just that I can&#39;t afford to not have a computer for even a day. too many assignment need to be finish...

anyway thanks again.

icant
16th August 2006, 12:23 AM
IMHO, no matter what troubleshooting steps you are doing, that the machine needs to have some part of its hardware changed (be it battery, logic board or power socket). These aren&#39;t things that I would recommend fixing outside of a Apple Service Centre. Especially under warranty.

Just my opinion, and maybe a gentle suggestion that if you have important things to do, in addition to having backups (which is awesome), to organise access, while things are relatively groovy, to another computer to do your assignments on.

You&#39;re the one with first hand experience, so you&#39;ll make the best decisions to suit yourself.

Personally I love the idea of owning a MacBook, but IMHO the range still still have unresolved issues with their logic board -- but that&#39;s just me.

theov
16th August 2006, 06:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mac7 &#064; Aug 16 2006, 12&#58;09 AM) 205408</div>

wow. thanks a lot for all the reply.

my macbook now running on AC power only, I discharged the battery. I wanna see if the problem still persist but no problem at all for the moment.

I will definetly consider the advice for bring the macbook to apple centre. The second my macbook have a sudden shutdown again, I will run to apple centre. :)

for now, I think I will just pray so that nothing bad happened and backup all my files. it&#39;s just that I can&#39;t afford to not have a computer for even a day. too many assignment need to be finish...

anyway thanks again.
[/b]

I had the running on AC only problem, the repairer said the connector that connects the battery power to the logic board has to be sitting very tight and because it wasn&#39;t it is what caused the problem. So even if it is only that and hopefully not the logic board also then you should still take it to an applecentre as its a fairly easy thing for them to fix.

macmate
16th August 2006, 08:54 AM
personally i would take it into your local repair centre as soon as you can be without it for a day or two. i have replaced two logic boards so far with this problem in the last two weeks. if you hassle them enough you should be able to get them to get it swapped overnight, if not, call me and i will be sure to get it done very quick as i am in melbourne too.

Ric

mac7
16th August 2006, 09:33 AM
oookaay... the blackbook just died again.. So no if or but this time. I have to bring it to apple centre straight away. anyone got a recommendation? I hear that Mac Flinders St has the best service.

I did google on &#39;sudden macbook shutdown&#39; and found that many macbook user experienced this problem, I&#39;m glad that I&#39;m not the only one :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(macmate &#064; Aug 16 2006, 08&#58;54 AM) 205452</div>

personally i would take it into your local repair centre as soon as you can be without it for a day or two. i have replaced two logic boards so far with this problem in the last two weeks. if you hassle them enough you should be able to get them to get it swapped overnight, if not, call me and i will be sure to get it done very quick as i am in melbourne too.

Ric
[/b]

swapped overnite??? can I call you? please?? :)