PDA

View Full Version : Linux install

Mctastic
14th August 2006, 05:38 PM
hi... may be in the wrong forum.

wondering if this release is worth installing. it's a full dvd install with free office etc. also saw Suise release with a mag. i'm a mac man, .. but just a bit bored at the mo. have 2 pc's to play with as well. think both p3's.

help!

hawker
14th August 2006, 05:41 PM
Linux screams on old PC hardware. Haven't had much to do with Debian. Mainly Gentoo and Ubuntu - but some other members around here use it!

The great thing about the linux community is, if you have a problem with something, you post on their support forums, and 10 to 1 the people that reply, are the ones who built the OS - not someone in India on a phone :)

xfodder
14th August 2006, 07:22 PM
hey mctastic, i think i know which linux mag your talking about ... I BOUGHT IT ! :D i installed SUSE linux on my pc and its works great, i still think that one of the only downsides to linux is that it isn't as 'user friendly' as windows or mac os x ... by this i mean, having to open the terminal to build packages to install certain things ... i have no problems with it, but alot of people will.

if you are fairly competent with using a unix command shell i'd say go for it, as for which distro to choose ... well its really up to you ... ubuntu looks good, SUSE does too ... just explore which one you want

hawker
14th August 2006, 07:24 PM
You do have more simplified linux, like the predecessor to Red Hat - the name escapes me - which has a build that is very user friendly, as in, you can use it just like OS X, you can do software updates like OS X and install apps like OS X.

thephydeaux
14th August 2006, 07:26 PM
Cant say I'm an expert by any means, but I found that of the variants I tried, Fedora core was the easiest for me. I must admit that I didnt try them all though. So, I have FC 4 and apache for a webserver and FC5 running an an IRLP node.

I prolly should think about upgrading the fc4 machine to fc5, but at the moment it hums along very nicely, so I dont really feel inclined to do so.

As for Linux help, here are scores of help forums available on the net.

If you like books - as I do as an oldie that grew up with them- then for setting up a webserver, I recommend "run your own webserver using linux and apache" from Sitepoint. They have a website, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link.

I say go for it. Its been an interesting journey for me, and sometimes very frustrating and difficult getting my head around fc, which is no where near as mature as os X. But I guarantee you wont be bored :)

And, as previously posted, the hardware requirements are low, so if you have an old PC, then what have you got to lose? Except maybe a few hours away from the idiot box.

Cheers

Tim R

xfodder
14th August 2006, 07:43 PM
i haven't tried anything from the red hat range, i used to use mandrake ... haven't used mandriva ... only reason i use suse is because it came with the mag lol ... but as thephydeaux said no matter what distro you do choose it wont be boring ... i have had a lot of fun setting up suse :D

and i wasn't necessarily talking about installing app's ... just to install the video card drivers you have to go into the shell ... but i love doing that type of thing and im getting used to it :D

pipsqeek
14th August 2006, 08:14 PM
I use SuSE 10.1 on a PC, and also Ubuntu Server on a G4 466.

Both are great. With SuSE, I installed SMART, which is better then YaST Update.

With Ubuntu, apt-get is almost seemless.

My pet hate is dependancies, both Smart and Apt deal with them well.

Cheers
pipsqeek

jeremy_warnock
14th August 2006, 08:26 PM
I have suse 10.1 - comes with this months apc - no plug intended. And freespire in parrallels on my macbook. Only installed freespire earily today but its a really finished nice desktop distro

Mctastic
14th August 2006, 09:00 PM
ok ,thanks all. i get where everyone is going, ... what their fav release is etc. i ended up purchasing the mag with the Debian version. now, i know a lot about lots, ... but these names escape me somewhat. i did run an earlier power pc version a long time ago, so i'm familiar with the frustration of the prompt. i have a solid knowledge of Dos, so this is not the worst thing. i was having fun recently fiddling with Unix and it's commands, ... but i also get distracted easily, ... u know there is so much going on out there, there just aren't enough hours.
ok, .. back to the task at hand. is my varient any good. i chse it for one, because it is complete on 1 dvd. the suise v was like 10 cd's, and from the mag, it mentioned Apache, Perl, Python, MySQL, Postgres, GCC, Mozilla, Thunderbird, Firefox, Gimp and OpenOffice as part of the install. to me this covers most all to start with. i would just add the free Photoshop, can't remember exact name, then whatever else i can find.

So in full, it's Debian GNU/Linux 3.1r2(Sarge)

thx for the responses. great stuff!!

Mctastic
14th August 2006, 09:41 PM
well guys. here i go. need to switch now, Mac to PC, ... reluctantly. will be interesting, nevertheless :-)

Alessiman
14th August 2006, 09:41 PM
No matter what version of Linux you install, get iFolder running as well

The best pervasive backup ever

And works on the mac as well

Mctastic
14th August 2006, 10:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alessiman &#064; Aug 14 2006, 09&#58;41 PM) 204924</div>
No matter what version of Linux you install, get iFolder running as well

The best pervasive backup ever

And works on the mac as well [/b]

will do... minor/major set back. it appears my installer dvd is faulty. . . . damn&#33; change the dvd rom, stuck in my LG dvd-rw drive, ... same thing. back to the bookshop, ... get another copy. :cry:

Mctastic
15th August 2006, 01:39 PM
ok, so i had to turn in the debian GNU version..... start again now.

Bought a copy of Linux Format. 6 distro&#39;s to choose from&#33;&#33; 8GB DVD installer, . cool. out of interest....
The top 10 visited distro pages on DistroWatch.com in March...
1. Ubuntu Linux, 2. Fedora Core, 3. SUSE, 4. Mandriva, 5.Damn Small Linux(50MB i believe&#33;), 6. knoppix, 7. Debian GNU .....

here i go again, ... choices choices....

Mctastic
17th August 2006, 10:16 PM
Ok, ... so i&#39;ve chosen Fedore Core and i must say it comprises of a very comprehensive set of programs/tools. in the Mac tradition, i stuck in a spare Barracuda 40Gb drive, install DVD, followed prompts, partitioned my drive, and selected and installed all i needed and maybe would need in time to come.
eventually, ... full graphic interface(Gnome), ... and pretty much all there. little issue with my internet. i can access my access points, and adsl and all seems ok. the .net&#39;s seem to load fine, even redhat .com page, .. but i get no response from apple.com, google or anything else. turned off firewall etc, still no joy. any ideas would be appreciated....

thx in advance
M

Mctastic
18th August 2006, 09:38 AM
help?

pipsqeek
18th August 2006, 11:54 AM
Have you set up the route correctly?

You will have your normal things like your IP Address and your subnet.

Then you will need your Gateway (or router) IP Address. This is the modem&#39;s address. As it is the "gateway" to the outside world.

Apart from that, you will need a primary and secondary DNS Address. This can be your modem&#39;s IP as well, but also (and possibly a better option), find out the DNS servers of your ISP. And put those details in there instead.

Apart from that, there are no other Network settings required to gain full access to the net.

good luck.
pipsqeek

Mctastic
18th August 2006, 02:43 PM
yep, did all of above, as i would do on a mac or pc. tried fixed/dhcp, also manual dns....

wierd... i will have a look later then. thx pipsqeek