PDA

View Full Version : lock the keyboard

landog
14th August 2006, 05:08 PM
Guys do you know of a script / app that would let me lock the keyboard. I have a 1 yearold that loves to play with it and i would love to let her but know she cant do any harm?

dev_enter
14th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Enable fast user switching, then click on the name/icon in the menubar and select "Show Login Screen" or whatever it is (no Mac in front of me right now). :)

ClockWork
14th August 2006, 05:48 PM
Click on your Blue Apple menu -> scroll down to: System Preferences ...

In System Preferences, select Universal Access, and then click on the Keyboard tab.

Click a dot into - Sticky Keys: "On" radio button. Click a tick into the: Press the shift key five times to turn Sticky Keys on or off - check box, and another in: Display pressed keys on screen - for visual feedback.

Leave all the other check boxes empty, and make sure: Slow Keys - is set to "off".

Quit System Preferences.

Your keyboard is now locked. To unlock it, press the shift key on your keyboard, five times. You'll see a white Upward arrow appear on your screen - symbolic representation of the shift key. After the fifth time you've pressed it, you'll hear a sound like a door lightly shutting. Your keyboard is now "unlocked".

Pressing the shift key 5 times either way, will lock or unlock your keyboard.

Note: changes may not occur until after an Application has been quit and restarted. Test it for yourself.

cheers,

ClockWork

The Architect.mac
14th August 2006, 05:50 PM
download multialarm and do a screen lock - might not work on a mac that is not portable... but worth a try

aussiehoudini
14th August 2006, 07:34 PM
and maybe get the alarm to scare the pants off her! :D

Devil
14th August 2006, 07:36 PM
System preferences -> Security -> require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver. then set up hot corners for your screen saver. flick the mouse into a corner every time you take your attention away from the computer.

every laptop owner should enable this and set the computer to require a password when turning on (ie. dont automatically log in)

sdien
14th August 2006, 07:39 PM
why not install alphababy (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19998) for her to play around?

as described:
AlphaBaby lets even infants and toddlers have fun playing with the computer. Every time a key is pressed or the mouse is clicked, a letter or shape is drawn. Sounds can be played every time something is drawn. Your own sounds and pictures can also be used. AlphaBaby helps kids to learn letters, plus provides a safe environment for kids to have fun "typing" on the keyboard!

add: it works like a screen saver, and the only way for you to quit the program is to type "q-u-i-t", which is very unlikly to happen for a 2years old.