PDA

View Full Version : ANZ Online Banking - Safari now a recommended browser!

Goodbye
13th August 2006, 08:21 AM
Hi guys,
Just letting you know that ANZ Online Banking will soon list Safari 1.2 as a recommended browser.

I have never had any trouble with Safari, but now ANZ will officially be supporting it, it's pretty cool.

Do any other banks list Safari as a recommended browser?

Ash :thumbup:

hawker
13th August 2006, 08:24 AM
All banks should realise Safari is a big browser and put up a personal greeting:

'thank god you're using a mac - welcome' ;)

I am with Commonwealth Bank, Australian Credit Union and Westpac and all of them are fine with Safari, I'm not sure if Safari is a 'recommended' browser, but I've never had any problems!

All of them should recognise Firefox too!

cgollner
13th August 2006, 08:24 AM
Cool. Good to see it getting the recognition it deserves. I can just hear Windows users saying "Whats Safari?". Anyway I use Safari all the time except on one website (google web page editor) that needs Firefox.

Go Apple Go.

edit: spelling

dangelovich
13th August 2006, 08:37 AM
Now if only they'd stop resizing the window to fill the screen...
I tried to contact support about it to get it fixed and you know what they said... "Drop your screen resolution to 800x600". I'm using a 20" Cinema Display!!! I told them what my native res was. I even asked them what someone with a higher res (i.e. 30" LCD) was supposed to do... No useful answers there.
Evidently ANZ's support people are morons...
</rant>

DJY
13th August 2006, 09:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgollner &#064; Aug 13 2006, 08&#58;24 AM) 204314</div>

I can just hear Windows users saying "Whats Safari?".[/b]

LOL Mmmm well my Mum who can&#39;t / doesn&#39;t / /use a computer...
now knows what Firefox is&#33;
I put som photos on the net - that she wanted to see... so over the phone I talked her through seeing them&#33;
Ok sure it was on my nephew&#39;s PC... but I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered he uses Firefox not IE. Maybe there is hope for him / her / and even BANKS yet?

fiark
13th August 2006, 09:39 AM
*deleted*

Kuma
13th August 2006, 10:02 AM
St George is woeful&#33;
They not only don&#39;t support Safari, they don&#39;t support Firefox either (as of 5 months ago before I left Oz).
I had to download an early edition of Netscape (so my mum could use it) not even the latest version.

Considering that St George bought the Advance Bank (which was I think the first bank in Oz to have a web based banking service) you would think that they would be ahead of the game...
but even the old fuddy duddies like CBA or WBC have better internet banking

shame STG shame&#33;&#33;

Exocet
13th August 2006, 10:34 AM
SMetway are useless. If using safari I get the error message "This site uses session cookies, please enable session cookies to continue". Change Safari to report as MSIE6.0 and hey presto, without changing my cookie settings I can get through&#33; Shock horror.

Works otherwise though, but its an annoying extra step in order to log on.

thephydeaux
13th August 2006, 02:09 PM
St George may not "support" Firefox, but I have no problems using it for banking.

Tim R

adamjc
13th August 2006, 02:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dangelovich &#064; Aug 13 2006, 08&#58;37 AM) 204325</div>

Now if only they&#39;d stop resizing the window to fill the screen...
I tried to contact support about it to get it fixed and you know what they said... "Drop your screen resolution to 800x600". I&#39;m using a 20" Cinema Display&#33;&#33;&#33; I told them what my native res was. I even asked them what someone with a higher res (i.e. 30" LCD) was supposed to do... No useful answers there.
Evidently ANZ&#39;s support people are morons...
</rant>
[/b]

I admit the resizing window is quite annoying.

Although support wise I have ANZ to be tops, when I ever I contact them about my Accounts or what ever it may be they are fantastic.

Always go out of they&#39;re way that little bit more&#33;

the_OM
13th August 2006, 02:40 PM
NAB has had safari as a recommended browser for ages...... at least over a year now.

mac_man_luke
13th August 2006, 02:45 PM
Australian Centrals online banking is excellent and well supported in safari

BankSAs worked but was an awful slow java application

Kuma
13th August 2006, 03:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thephydeaux &#064; Aug 13 2006, 01&#58;09 PM) 204434</div>
St George may not "support" Firefox, but I have no problems using it for banking.

Tim R [/b]

Indeed... I haven&#39;t had a lot of trouble but for some reason on my mums iMac it is a bitch... only the recommended netscape does the job. (when I rang with the probs I had they said get IE. I politely told em to go and get f&#036;#ked IE for mac was no longer available
IE for mac had not been supported for over a year
IE sux period
they then said Netscape... I went to netscape but the latest version was out... STG said they didn&#39;t support that either and they had to direct me to the previous version.

That one phone call had me vowing never to use STG again. Indeed my mother threatened to take her business elsewhere... they had to offer some sweetners to keep her business... but she still hates their website (she&#39;s like me - when I compare Windows and OSX she does the same with STG website and ANZ website).

adamjc
13th August 2006, 03:12 PM
Warning on St George website after you click LogOn for Internet Banking:

MAC @ St.George News Update
St.George is working hard to maximise the Internet Banking accessibility available to MAC users.
Following is an update for you on our developments, including a summary of supported browser and operating systems.
It is recommended that you read this thoroughly and upgrade your system if required to optimise your Internet Banking experience.

Internet Explorer 5.x
Is supported across all MAC operating systems.

Netscape Communicator is no longer supported.
This applies to all MAC (and Windows) operating systems.

MAC OS 10.1 and 10.2
Internet Explorer 5 and above is supported
(however, the latest MRJ component will be required).
Netscape Navigator 6.1 and 6.2 is supported. on MAC OS 10.1
Netscape Navigator 6.1 is supported on MAC OS 10.2

Netscape 7 is not supported at this time

MAC OS 8.6-9.2
Netscape Communicator is no longer compatible with our Internet Banking system.
Please download Internet Explorer 5 and the latest MRJ by clicking here.

More Information?
Please visit our:
Supported Browsers
Important downloads to improve your online experience
Or, call (or email) the Internet Banking Help Line
on 1300 555 203 8am-9pm EST, 7 days a week.

Phone Banking Plus also offers most of the services provided by Internet Banking, including account balance information, funds transfers and BPAY. Call 13 33 22 or click here for more information

This information is also available within the Internet Banking section of the website.

[/b]

http://www.stgeorge.com.au

fiark
13th August 2006, 04:50 PM
*deleted*

cmjl
13th August 2006, 09:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dangelovich &#064; Aug 13 2006, 08&#58;07 AM) 204325</div>

Now if only they&#39;d stop resizing the window to fill the screen...
I tried to contact support about it to get it fixed and you know what they said... "Drop your screen resolution to 800x600". I&#39;m using a 20" Cinema Display&#33;&#33;&#33;
[/b]
Had a similar problem with another bank&#39;s Internet banking system doing this to me, though this was on logout. I advised them that individuals who are susceptible to photo-sensitive seizure could have an attack triggered by such aggressive screen resizing, particularly if a normally darker screen is suddenly taken over by a large white box with a small slab of text in it.

I received a very nice reply from the bank concerned and within a week they had changed their IBS to show the same text upon logout but in the same window that had been used for the banking session.

Worth a shot perhaps. YMMV.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamjc &#064; Aug 13 2006, 02&#58;42 PM) 204450</div>

Warning on St George website after you click LogOn for Internet Banking:
http://www.stgeorge.com.au
[/b]
I&#39;ve received these warnings on my browser from time to time when doing my St George/Bank SA related banking but have yet to have a problem with Firefox or Camino on OS X and Firefox on Windows or SUSE Linux.

Suppose I should try Safari sometime :-)

Give them time and they may update their tested browser list.

MichaelH
13th August 2006, 09:28 PM
BankSA has used the same system as St George for a long time - and it too is advising that Mac users can soon use Safari and Firefox as part of a general upgrading. :)

pipsqeek
13th August 2006, 09:52 PM
Weird.

Safari is the recommended browser. I&#39;d say that majority of their customers (ANZ) would be running windows. Not sure how they&#39;re going to get Safari working on their machine.

BTW, I&#39;ve been with ANZ for a very long time, and have never had issues with Safari, Camino, etc. But glad to see that a minority is finally recognised.

pipsqeek

p53
13th August 2006, 10:06 PM
always good to see that companies are thinking of the minority.
on a side note i wonder where Apple would be today if it weren&#39;t for the iPod. They&#39;ve gained so much standing over the past few years. I think in a few years time we&#39;ll be seeing a lot more Mac support from banks, telcos etc.

Bart Smastard
13th August 2006, 10:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Aug 13 2006, 08&#58;24 AM) 204313</div>

All banks should realise Safari is a big browser and put up a personal greeting:

&#39;thank god you&#39;re using a mac - welcome&#39; ;)
[/b]

Too true mate. Maybe they should also put up a warning to IE users that there&#39;s a good chance their details will be stolen and that they&#39;d never would have this problem if they were using a Mac :)

f1_power
13th August 2006, 11:41 PM
I&#39;ve never had a problem with Adelaide Bank using Safari. There is also a link to a Apple Security Updates document on the main login page (along with a link to a M&#036; one&#33; :lol: ) so I guess it would be Safari supported.

In fact one of the random middle pics when you load up the main www.adelaidebank.com.au is a chick standing with a PowerBook :D