PDA

View Full Version : Ram from USA

ric3am
18th November 2004, 05:04 PM
Hi just seeing if any one has bought ram from RamDirect or Transintl.com and if you end up pay any import tax they have a Gig of ram for $159 US which is a lot cheeper that here

iluvmymactoo
19th November 2004, 01:09 PM
I did buy ram (1 gig stick) from the States not too long ago.

Yes you will be charged duty. It cost me around $85 I think.

iSlayer
19th November 2004, 01:11 PM
i hope your joking

Catacaustic
19th November 2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Nov 19 2004, 01:11 PM
i hope your joking
Why would someone joke about this?

Import duties have to be paid no matter who you are. Well, unles you're a company big enough to get around it, as I'm sure that we all are not. The only way ot avoid this is ot have the goods marked as "gifts" but this still doesn't work sometimes.

I've had stuff from eBay that's clearly been second hand and not sent with any invoices or other documentation, marked as gifts but I've still had to pay import duties on what they thought was the "proper price" for the goods.

Buying from overseas can be good sometimes, but like everything else, there's always good and bad sides.

iSlayer
19th November 2004, 04:40 PM
i meant paying $85 duty on ram thats worth 150
that cant be right

epowermac
24th November 2004, 06:57 AM
Howdy
If your going to buy from the States, you have to weight up everything not only the price of the item.

For that TransIntl modules, they are US $159 + US$25 freight = US$184 in AUD$248 (Bout with crappy Visa rates). Then you have $55.00 customs search fee if it come through FexEx or UPS Plus GST. So in the end , you will be looking at about $320 AUD.

If you can get them to send by USPS, then you will avoid Customs fee and GST on this amount.

Also, remember if you need a warranty replacement, then you have to send back to the States to get a replacement.

To avoid all the hassles, I can get John to give you a special price for our 1Gb Kit (2 x 512mb) for your G5/

Hope this helps

Robert Zatta
www.epowermac.com.au

iSlayer
24th November 2004, 07:01 AM
how many people have been hit with a customs fee.
i just got some stuff from the uk valued at $320 aus and didnt get charged anything.

oh and Robert whats the best price you can do for the 1gb kit

Mark T
24th November 2004, 09:15 AM
I bought 2 x 1GB sticks of ram from Crucial last month.

Cost (US$) 506.98 + 20.00 freight = A$731.56

Import Duty & GST (paid to DHL) $131.49

Credit Card foreign currency transaction $10.97

All up $874.02

Did a little bit of online shopping in Australia first, but couldn't find much for less than $990.

By the way, the two sticks are sitting in the new 20" G5 iMac and running at 128 bit (whatever that really means).

About customs etc, I can remember reading that items worth less that A$50 customs just let go through, over $50 and it will need duty/GST paid to get it out of customs. The courier will pay it and then chase you up for it.

Regards

Mark

iSlayer
24th November 2004, 09:18 AM
hmm i guess i was lucky then
for something worth $320 i didnt get any gst or duty.

epowermac
25th November 2004, 02:59 AM
Islayer
If it comes through the postal system, there is no Customs fee or GST up to $1000.
If it comes through a courier service like FedEx, UPS or DHL then they will charge the Search fee and GST. This of course rests on the supplying company declaring the true value of the item. !!

Hope this helps.
Will speak to John and get you a quote on the ram.

Robert Zatta
www.epowermac.com.au

ric3am
25th November 2004, 06:12 AM
I have paid for the ram from Transintl the total cost came to $430 for two kits of 1Gig even if I have to pay $55 plus GST it still would be a good price, as the best here was around $650 + postage, why is there such a difference in ram prices ? I would have preferred to buy locally

ric3am
6th December 2004, 02:21 PM
Just installed new ram from Transintl working fine I'm happy to report that I did not have to pay any duty or tax at this end total outlay for 2 Gig of ram $430 Au dollars parcel was sent through united states postal service, even with the potential difficulties for warranty it is definitely worth the saving of $200 for similar ram from local suppliers. Maybe someone could let me know why so-much diff in prices, hopefully next year when duty tariffs drop prices might equalize

iluvmymactoo
6th December 2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by ric3am@Dec 6 2004, 02:21 PM
Maybe someone could let me know why so-much diff in prices, hopefully next year when duty tariffs drop prices might equalize
It's called greed ;)

Radar
6th December 2004, 03:21 PM
The threashold before duties have to be paid is $200 AUD. There are two ways around this, either ship via USPS, which generally takes longer but has a threashold of $1000AUD, or get it sent as a gift, which is not a failsure surefire way.

I order alot of DVD's and books from the states, just make sure never to go over $200 AUD and you're fine.