PDA

View Full Version : Making the switch

eyeLikeCarrots
18th November 2004, 11:49 AM
Well, I've gone and ordered my ibook...

14inch, 512, 60gig, bluetooth, wireless..

At the Uni I work at they recently bought in salary sacrifice so a $2000 machine is not quite affordable.

I was going to go for the 12inch and get mroe ram but I saw safari on the 12inch and compared it with the 14 and I think the bigger screen is better.... and its not too much heavier...

This machine will be what I do all my work on.. might get a few games to amuse me but otherwise I'm going to re-write my gateway/firewall rules to isolate my x86 windows game box from the internet (Except to enable online games to connect)...

Now I'm itching to get my hands on the machine but I'm told the delivery time will be ages away...

Ozi
18th November 2004, 11:54 AM
Congrats! The 12 and 14 inch iBooks have the same number of pixels, but yes the actual images displayed by safari will be larger. Welcome to the Apple community. :D

iSlayer
18th November 2004, 12:08 PM
welcome welcome.
always happy to see another switcher.
now if only we can convice you to get rid of the pc altogether :)

eyeLikeCarrots
18th November 2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Nov 18 2004, 12:08 PM
welcome welcome.
always happy to see another switcher.
now if only we can convice you to get rid of the pc altogether :)
Well, being a fairly hardcore gamer I don't think I'll being getting rid of x86 gaming platforms any time real soon...

But games like bf1942 are on Mac.. i just wont be able to play much on the iBook and I can't afford a powerbook this year.

I'm looking forward to using safari instead of Intershit Explorer.. and things like konfabulator and subethaedit look pretty sweet.

Disko
18th November 2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by eyeLikeCarrots@Nov 18 2004, 01:22 PM
I'm looking forward to using safari instead of Intershit Explorer.. and things like konfabulator and subethaedit look pretty sweet.
Not that you can't get most of those apps or better on PC... :P

eyeLikeCarrots
18th November 2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 18 2004, 01:08 PM
Not that you can't get most of those apps or better on PC... :P
Well, I've only read about these thigns so far...

The purchase of the laptop is only going ahead because I need to get the whole thing sorted before my work contract ends...

The only thing that got me into Macs in the last 2 years was these availability at uni.. as time went on I found myself doing more and more of my work on in the Mac lab... plus I like being able to open a term and stick my hands in the guts of the OS

zefi
18th November 2004, 10:38 PM
Dude, you will not regret it. I just got my iBook a nifty little 12" and she is excellent. I mean combining the benefits of mobile computing and the ease of use and rock solid OS X, the experience is rather seamless, imho.

I want to write a review, but I'm not sure if I am allowed.

Congrats on the switch.

decryption
18th November 2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by zefi@Nov 18 2004, 10:38 PM
I want to write a review, but I'm not sure if I am allowed.

Why wouldn't you be allowed? :P

Write up the review, e-mail it to Disko or I and it will put up on the site for all to see!

zefi
19th November 2004, 07:16 AM
I thought I had to be "special". :)

But, cool. I'll do it over the holidays.

Currawong
19th November 2004, 07:24 AM
It's quite common to have a Mac for doing work on, and having a PC for games - it's a combination that works best, as you can run less programs on the PC, making for fewer problems. You can have 1000 applications installed in OSX and it wont change a thing (as long as you have sufficient HD space).

eyeLikeCarrots
19th November 2004, 07:53 AM
Yup....

Well I am off overseas at the end of next year... this purchase should see me through the trip and when I get back I plan of buying the equiv of a dual G5. Happily there seem to be more decent vid cards around for Mac so its all good.

I hope to see the greater gaming emergence of OSX on the next 2 years (fingers crossed)..

Anyone know what recent games will run on the 9200 of the ibook ?

Cheers

iSlayer
19th November 2004, 07:55 AM
well just about any game will run on the 9200
some will be slow and will need to be played with low settings but they will run.
i used to play bf1942 and halo on a readon 7500 in an emac and they ran just fine

mac gaming is great these days.
we get most of the best pc games.
we still miss titles like gta3,halflife,need for speed and a few others but we get some good games.

zefi
19th November 2004, 08:13 AM
I could play Call of Duty on my iBook, resolution at 800*600 and textures at low for decent frame rates. I love this game by the way, I've been a fan of military FPS since Medal of Honour. But none reach the intensity and just out right craziness of COD. And with headphones on, you really feel immersed within the action. I'd suggest going to apple.com or macgamefiles and trying out a few demos.

My iBook handles games a lot better than my trusty iMac 800 with its GForce 2.

eyeLikeCarrots
19th November 2004, 08:20 AM
crazyiness of COD... I hear you there brother.. some of the games I've had of "Behind enemy lines" mode had been wild....

decryption
19th November 2004, 12:02 PM
I like playing glQuake on my iBook :P
Relive the golden days of FPS :D

And there's nothing wrong with having a Mac and a Windows machine. I have an Athlon 64 for gaming/ripping DVDs/BitTorrent and my iBook for real work :)