PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Leopard: is the best yet to come?

stefanlod
8th August 2006, 07:10 PM
I remember when people thought that OS X was just going to be a platinum interface with a UNIX underpinning. Boy were we all in for a hoot when we all saw Aqua for the first time in 2000(?), a time when UIs were drab and boring. So I'm holding out that we could see more WOW in Leopard as time goes by. Of course, that's my opinion, so what's everyone else thinking?

...Comments on what might be coming, wishlists, etc?

edit: for those of you who want more concisely phrased choices, the choices can also be interpreted as: No.
Possibly.
Yes.
I don't know.

ethania05
8th August 2006, 07:14 PM
I just want to see time machine working on my mac...at least they admit macs crash as well, well...without actually saying those words specifically.

lavo
8th August 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm not going to vote, as there should have been an option that said "The best is yet to come".

I'd like to hear the opinion of some of the developers here on the list what they think of the Leopard preview. Especially guys like iSlayer, with the announcement of DashCode and Webclips.

We still have Macworld Paris, the Christmas buying period, then Macworld San Fran. Don't be suprised if Apple let a couple more features slip.

Kuma
8th August 2006, 07:18 PM
Im already a fan of Leopard.
The first thing I did this morning was visit apples website and I said to myself
"well thats cool!" but no real reason to upgrade

then I looked more closely...
I get access to Photo Booth and Front Row with Leopard - now Im getting happy.. but still not overwhelmed.
then I watched the keynote... and Time Machine blew me away!! now Im excited. (also Alex is very cool too)

Added Mail 3 has a couple of nice touchs and iChat has some features that I could definately use...

but what makes me more giddy is the Top Secret features I believe that Leopard will "blow Vista away!"
It is already on my shopping list.. but I really do belive the best is to come...

how much more can they give me???????????? :thumbup: :D

iSlayer
8th August 2006, 07:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lavo &#064; Aug 8 2006, 07&#58;16 PM) 202683</div>

I&#39;d like to hear the opinion of some of the developers here on the list what they think of the Leopard preview. Especially guys like iSlayer, with the announcement of DashCode and Webclips.
[/b]

webclip and dashcode are just gimicks.they wont help real developers.the thing they will do is make it easy for anyone to make a widget which im not convinced is necessarily a good thing.The Yahoo Widget Engine site is flooded with webcam and rss widgets which in my opinion really takes away from all the good widgets out there.I see the same happening with dashboard

xcode 3/developer frameworks...
sounds very good.im waiting to hear just how many new things there are but early reports are good
Core animation looks very cool

From my point of view i think leopard is going to be very good for both users and developers.

stefanlod
8th August 2006, 07:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lavo &#064; Aug 8 2006, 07&#58;16 PM) 202683</div>

I&#39;m not going to vote, as there should have been an option that said "The best is yet to come".
[/b]

Sorry, that slots into the second last choice :). Maybe I should&#39;ve rephrased the questions, pity we can&#39;t edit polls&#33; :cry:

mechcon
8th August 2006, 07:23 PM
I likes what I saws, but I&#39;ll loves it when itd releaseds

Zurg
8th August 2006, 07:32 PM
The evolution continues; I couldn&#39;t help but think that this release really focused on the business customer; iCal Server, Mail improvements, iChat functionality, Time Machine.

As a developer I am really excited about xCode 3 (with all its bits and pieces, xRay anyone?), i think those improvements are going to be huge.

Is the best yet to come? I think you are going to see some improvements to Safari without question (did screenshot of the wiki showed a new menu icon?). I also couldn&#39;t help but notice that there wasn&#39;t anything about the finder. There was a lot of noise about that pre wwdc and I would be suprised if Apple hasn&#39;t done anything to it.

I am sure there will be some pleasent suprises, with most of those focusing on the end user. We shall see.

BiRDBRAiN
8th August 2006, 07:41 PM
I would love to see some UI stuff in Leopard using the new Core Animation features.

sunrisesister
8th August 2006, 07:43 PM
i want it.. and i want it NOW&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Rayd
8th August 2006, 08:04 PM
i thought it was great as it is now&#33; although i wanted finder redone . but im sure that is a TOP SECRET feature :P

Alec Fraser
8th August 2006, 08:40 PM
With the exception of Time Machine and Core Animation, most of what they showed was pretty bland. I&#39;ll admit to thinking "Wait...I&#39;ve seen that in Windows" when they started talking about recent programs and files appearing in Spotlight. Not to mention launching applications from Spotlight by searching ala the Vista Start Menu. And while I love Time Machine, I can&#39;t help but worry that it&#39;s going to be Windows System Restore Points on crack...with the exception that Time Machine will actually work.

Today was definately a shot across the bow for the folks at Redmond, but I think Apple are playing their cards close to their chest with Leopard, and with good reason. They don&#39;t want to give MS time to copy any more of their ideas...I don&#39;t think the mention of the Photocopier banners was in jest. They&#39;re pissed about how Tiger-like Vista has turned out and they&#39;re not going to hand MS any more features.

It already looks good, but I&#39;m hoping for a hell of a lot more in Leopard than what was shown today. I think that Steve mentioned the Top Secret gear to allay any fears that the otherwise bland keynote would have created. To me, the most exciting feature so far (other than Time Machine) is Front Row 2.0 that they only hinted at...and the fact that it will be available to the entire install base&#33;&#33;

Also, this is the Developer Conference after all...it&#39;s not aimed at consumers just yet. There&#39;s more to come and here&#39;s hoping that it&#39;s going to be as awesome a jump as Tiger was&#33;

DJY
8th August 2006, 08:47 PM
Demo was cute / gimicky...
but I guess with Preview copies out live now - surely whatever else is in there - Redmond would know about by today surely as well?

Having to wait until the Northern hemisphere Spring though will be frustrating&#33;&#33;&#33;

danno74
8th August 2006, 08:54 PM
Of course the &#39;Top Secret&#39; features are the best ones to come... otherwise they wouldn&#39;t be &#39;Top Secret&#39; :)

I, for one, am losing my mind over some of those new features in Leopard... really handy for the way I use my Mac and a lot of things that used to painful, like emailing HTML templates through Mail, all built into the apps. The widget thing was awesome too... imagine the edge us Mac users are going to have bidding on eBay&#33;

:P

Kuma
9th August 2006, 02:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iSlayer &#064; Aug 8 2006, 08&#58;22 PM) 202685</div>

webclip and dashcode are just gimicks.
[/b]

From my understanding webclip made widgets will NOT be able to be uploaded to the Apple servers.. as for dashcode it would appear that although making widgets easier to make it will still only be for developers or serious hobbiests... so although there will be a influx of widgets (and undoubtedly total quality will decline) I suspect that overall these will be both positive for widget development.

And we widgets will become even more varied and useful. (now I just need more desktop real estate for all the new widgets that I will be making and using). :thumbup:

marc
9th August 2006, 03:00 AM
Keep in mind that uploading widgets is now a bit harder... you need to be a registered developer (it&#39;s free, but more red tape for someone who&#39;s just bashed out a quick copy-cat RSS widget etc). That should help keep the quality up.

Kuma
9th August 2006, 07:32 AM
hmm I didnt know that.. maybe they will have a public area and a recognised developer area...

fiark
9th August 2006, 08:50 AM
*deleted*

marc
9th August 2006, 10:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kuma &#064; Aug 9 2006, 07&#58;32 AM) 202806</div>

hmm I didnt know that.. maybe they will have a public area and a recognised developer area...
[/b]
Nup, it&#39;s ADC members only. I think this is a good idea, as it&#39;ll stop anyone from anonymously posting a malicious widget. In that past that would have been much easier.

Mctastic
9th August 2006, 11:08 AM
The OS always get better. there will be finder enhancements, layout changes. for me speed improvement important. nevermind the current and new systems, Apple know the OS must work faster on old macs too. i&#39;m happy with the spaces featue, core animation and especially time machine. to think only windows users had that functionality. will work well, but it must not be forgotten that it will not solve partition damage and physical hard drive deffects from occuring. hopefully there is a plan for solid state drives on mac soon. that time machine visual and the name is just a little corny, isn&#39;t it? basically any Mac users are going to love their mac&#39;s some much more knowing they can recover trashed items etc.
for me the biggest consideration will buying a new G5. i was never blown away totally with the last range, ... but this one, i must have&#33;&#33; course i&#39;m going to have to sell the family car to get one with 8GB of ram and a 30" Apple display......

lavo
9th August 2006, 12:07 PM
Just thinking about Time Machine and some of the problems it might pose too. For one, you will have to be more vigilant on what parts of the hard drive you *don&#39;t* want backed up ie anything that might be incriminating in the future, maybe? You might thnk you have deleted it today, but the file will now lurk in the past&#33;

Also, if the threat of viruses does eventuate on the Mac, is there a way that the virus will be backed up in the past, deleted today by a virus scanner, but then some malicious script is released that goes "back in time" and releases the virus?

locus
9th August 2006, 12:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danno74 &#064; Aug 8 2006, 06&#58;54 PM) 202714</div>

Of course the &#39;Top Secret&#39; features are the best ones to come... otherwise they wouldn&#39;t be &#39;Top Secret&#39; :)
[/b]

Indeed... I reckon there will be something juicy and sweet that will blow everyone away.

I hate surprises :(

AnthoMac
9th August 2006, 12:14 PM
I&#39;m hoping Apple will tweak the Finder and perhaps give it more time to fully implement new and exiting features. Heck I really hope theyre using that time to consider this (http://phillryu.com/2006/07/26/fake-leopard-screenshot-contest-winners-better-than-the-real-thing/) page -those ideas conceived will surely justify skeptical mac users to upgrade and throw the Vista train entirely off its tracks.

fiark
9th August 2006, 12:16 PM
*deleted*

lavo
9th August 2006, 12:24 PM
They probably have (well, the virus thing). But, you never know these days. Announcing a feature like this 8 or so months before releasing creates a lot of feedback. This gives Apple a chance to plug holes before release.

fiark
9th August 2006, 12:27 PM
*deleted*

Kuma
9th August 2006, 12:31 PM
theorising about a product that we saw for only 10mins is an excercise in futility.... however one that Im interested to hear what people think.. :D