PDA

View Full Version : Password protect folder

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 10:39 AM
Is there a way to lock a folder from viewing unless a password is entered?
I would like to keep some sensitive information in a folder but would like the folder to ask for a password before it can be viewed.

Disko
8th August 2006, 10:45 AM
Click on a folder, and press :cmd: + i on your keyboard. (or right click on it and choose 'get info')

At the bottom of the panel that popped up, expand Ownership & Permissions. Set it to No Access and click the padlock to lock the folder.

Do the reverse of these steps to open the folder. You will need an adminstrator's username/pass to do this - and Any Administrator on the system can unlock the folder.

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 10:51 AM
Champ!

Thankyou! :)

sunrisesister
8th August 2006, 10:53 AM
/me secures pr0n :)

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 10:59 AM
LOL

I followed the instructions but on reverse, it does not allow me access the folder (I'm testing on an empty folder).
I changed the access to read and write. I wasn't prompted for a password.
Did I miss something?

fiark
8th August 2006, 11:05 AM
*deleted*

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 11:15 AM
I'm the main user of this pc but I am not sure.
I'm logged on under my name but I thought I was the administrator

Disko
8th August 2006, 11:17 AM
Create a second test folder, and take note of it's ownership settings. Use those settings while opening the locked (first) folder.

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 11:25 AM
I compared them and the new folder and the locked folder are exactly the same apart from the name.

Sorry, I don't mean to be daft. I do appreciate your help.

Disko
8th August 2006, 11:30 AM
It should open then??

I just tried it out... and you're right - it doesn't unlock. Have we just discovered a bug?

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 11:31 AM
Does that mean if we help Apple by telling them get leopard for free? :D

soulman
8th August 2006, 11:32 AM
Or, if you really want to keep things secure, create a password protected disk image.

The trouble with a password protected folder is that it can still be looked inside. Someone searching for, say .xls files on an accountant's machine, will find them inside a read only or no access folder. Under some circumstances at least.

Password protecting a disk image is easy & the files inside it are totally invisible to any normal searching. AFAIK, there is no way of searching the contents of a .dmg file but there may be something. If it's encypted, then I think it's pretty safe. Just don't lose your password.

Matt Brabender
8th August 2006, 11:36 AM
I might create a dmg then.

Silver
8th August 2006, 12:19 PM
I believe that you won't be queried for a username / password if you have entered one in the last 15 minutes. I think this is an option that can be changed in the KeyChainUtility.app. I'm not in front of a Mac right now, so I can't check.