PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 12" - replacing bottom case

hoiboy
6th August 2006, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Newbie to the forum here, so forgive me if I make any mistakes! I've got multiple dents in the bottom case of my Powerbook 12" G4 1.5mhz - they don't affect the operation of the computer (other than occasionally hindering the ejection of DVDs) but they are definitely ugly.

Anyway, I bought a new bottom case through ebay from USA, but I know that replacing it myself would be quite an operation to say the least, having already had a look at the (25+ pages!!) guide at www.pbfixit.com. So, I wanted to ask:

1) For those who have done it - how difficult was it? I can't say I'm particularly good with my tools either, but I would definitely be willing to give it a go if it wasn't overly difficult and just takes a long time (as opposed to it being really difficult); and

2) I suspect that I'll have to take the computer to someone to get it done professionally. In that instance, does anyone have any good recommendations for where I should take my Powerbook to in the Sydney region? I've already got the case so I'm mainly concerned about 1) the quality of the work and 2) the cost. The Hurstville Apple store quoted me about $145 per hour (and said that it should be a 1 hour job) but I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone else yet.

Any recommendations here would be highly appreciated because if I am going to pay that kind of $ to get it done, I don't want a botched job! The laptop is probably the most important asset that I have uni and work, after all.

Okay, that's long enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hoi.

lavo
6th August 2006, 10:09 PM
Unless you are a wizz and can afford other parts if you stuff up, go right ahead! When I was a service tech, I hated 12" PBs more than any other. You have to be really careful when you take the top case away from the power connector on the motherboard, as the connector is very tight and the solder on the board is crap.

Also, every component has to be taken out to replace the bottom case. I'd take it to the pros, as if they manage to break something, they have to replace it.

** Fixed mistakes before the Spelling Nazis bust my door down :-)

Ozi
6th August 2006, 10:32 PM
erggh. 12" powerbook bottom case replacement would probably take a good teck 1.5-2 hours. Its not a fun job! That said, you have to remove everything to replace this part, as lavo said. Its probably worth the ~$300 in service fees to avoid killing your MLB or other expensive part.

AppleSammy
6th August 2006, 10:48 PM
This is definitely not a trivial job :cry: , each component must be replaced in sequence. However, if you are really keen I have found this site valuable for repairs (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/53.0.0.html)

good luck :thumbup:

Byrd
7th August 2006, 11:01 AM
If you're fairly technical and have a spare afternoon to do this, by all means go for it. If not, take Ozi's advice :)

JB

hoiboy
9th September 2006, 02:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Just to let y'all know, I emailed quite a few Apple Service places for quotes on this kind of stuff, and it seems like that Powermedia in Surry Hills is the cheapest place by quite a margin and they seem like a solid outfit from everything that I have read, so I might take it there within the next week or two. Does anyone, by the way, have any experiences with dealing with Powermedia?

I've definitely thought better of doing it myself - just looking through the guide at pbfixit.com was enough to make me woozy...