PDA

View Full Version : 10.4.7 weirdness

jasako
6th August 2006, 06:11 PM
Since updating to 10.4.7 a while ago several non-Universal Binary apps have become extremely flaky. Sometimes they open and behave as normal, othertimes they won't open at all.
Amongst them are:
Windows Media player 9.0
Dominos 3.1
Red Faction 1.2

Luckily my main working app is fine

Admittedly many of these are older versions but even with Windows Media player 9.0 (latest update from the Micro$oft site) it's hit and miss as to whether it will even launch.

Anyone else had similar problems (and found out why)?

something2sea
6th August 2006, 06:28 PM
I dont know the others, but try the Windows Media Components for Quicktime (http://www.flip4mac.com/download.htm), that's a universal binary, and plays windows media files inside quicktime.

Microsoft has actually stopped developing windows media player, and recommends mac users to use that software instead!

jasako
8th August 2006, 10:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(something2sea@gmail.com &#064; Aug 6 2006, 05&#58;58 PM) 201966</div>

Microsoft has actually stopped developing windows media player, and recommends mac users to use that software instead&#33;
[/b]
Thanks for the info something2sea, I was not aware of that, I&#39;ve downloaded the software and all works well but the problem of sporadic refusal to open apps remains, including Micro&#036;oft Office 2004 which is a bit of crimp - can any one help?

I&#39;ve done all the usual things but to no avail.... it&#39;s getting a tad frustrating and short of a complete re-install of the system and then trying the update again I&#39;m lost. I&#39;ve found nothing like this on the Apple discussions either. Could it be a conflict of some kind between some other piece of sotware, I don&#39;t have anything outlandish installed.

back2mac
8th August 2006, 10:13 PM
Since upgrading to 10.4.7 on an iMac G5 - I have lost the ability to minimise apps.
Also - but perhaps not related to the upgrade - my Trash no longer shows anything in the trash. To empty it - I have to open the trash and then delete. Any ideas?

Thank you.

melbmac
8th August 2006, 10:41 PM
Some strange issues there, yet again I&#39;ve not had a major bug...

warren21
8th August 2006, 10:54 PM
Some strange issues there, yet again I&#39;ve not had a major bug...[/b]

Yeah me too mine&#39;s fine. :)