PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Issues---what should i do?

joshbyte
4th August 2006, 12:38 PM
Hi I've had my standard 13inch white macbook, which i purchased online at the apple store for about 3 months. I am pretty new to using apple computers.

Anyway These are my problems

I have just noticed that on the edge of my macbook it has a crack in it (the crack is not exposed yet its just a line BUT IT IS A CRACK! :cry:)

I have not dropped the macbook at all or anything like that. i dont take it travelling etc. it just stays home like a normal pc.

Secondly it's always making a buzzzzzzzing noise sometimes high pitch sometimes low. You can just about always here it!!

I also have problems with my trackpad and button.

I seem to always loose control of my cursor. its like someone else is using it. The trackpad button has a light yellowish stain on it. Also the Right side of the track pad button makes a weird noise just by touching it. It sounds like there is some kind of thing is loose in it (hard to explain its sounds just like a clock ticking)

The macbook scratches soo bad even on the cover----its not like i put things on the cover for it too scratch but somehow it is covered in scratches. I don't really care anyway because you have to actually stare at it to notice it.

purana
4th August 2006, 12:44 PM
Take it to a repair centre and have it looked at.

choy
6th August 2006, 09:55 PM
I have addressed some of your issues in your duplicated thread, but I'll cover the ones you're complaining about here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joshbyte &#064; Aug 4 2006, 12&#58;38 PM) 201326</div>

Secondly it&#39;s always making a buzzzzzzzing noise sometimes high pitch sometimes low. You can just about always here it&#33;&#33; [/b]

Make sure you actually find the source of your buzzing noise. My Macbook had a buzzing noise - but it was coming from the AC adaptor, not the macbook itself. The issue only happened when it was plugged in to AC power and charging (ie when battery is 100% and it&#39;s plugged in - no noise). It was also high pitched/low pitch and interestingly became high pitched when I clicked on the trackpad button (&#33;&#33;)

to test for it, run your macbook down to 30% or so, then plug in your ac adaptor. Once the adaptor has warmed up (around 5-10mins), you should be able to hear a whine from the AC adaptor. Pressing the trackpad button will make it worse.

I had my ac adaptor replaced by apple free of charge and I haven&#39;t had the same problem with the new one (you will have to verify the problem with an apple tech. Since it is hard to reproduce, you should do it in front of the tech, they won&#39;t have time to reproduce it for you)

I also have problems with my trackpad and button.

I seem to always loose control of my cursor. its like someone else is using it.
[/b]

This isn&#39;t a fault. If you look at your trackpad, it is a wide pad to match the widescreen. All trackpads work based in proxmity of your finger/bodypart to the pad. Because it is so wide, when first using your macbook you can often run into the mistake of having a part of your thumb accidentally brushing the side of the pad when typing - which will make the trackpad identify this part as your finger. Hence "losing control of my cursor"

You need to get used to repositioning your hands so this doesn&#39;t occur, or alter the trackpad sensitivity (former is a better option)

The trackpad button has a light yellowish stain on it. Also the Right side of the track pad button makes a weird noise just by touching it. It sounds like there is some kind of thing is loose in it (hard to explain its sounds just like a clock ticking)[/b]

See my other post in your duplicated topic for the answer to the staining. As for the "wierd noise" - no idea what you are talking about there, haven&#39;t heard that issue before either. With all the other issues you&#39;ve found though, you might end up with a replacement anyway. I recommend you reproduce your nice list of problems, making the amendments to it base don what appletalk guys have said, and present your laptop to the nearest service center and get them to have a look at it. If you bought from the online store, ring them first and get a job number for it. Id does sound like you have got a dud, which is unfortunate, but happens no matter what brand laptop you buy ( I sell laptops -ASUS, TOSHIBA, HP, SONY, ACER, etc etc and they all have their share of duds). Every time you buy a computer, you roll the dice and at some point or another everyone will get a dud machine if they buy enough computers.

The macbook scratches soo bad even on the cover----its not like i put things on the cover for it too scratch but somehow it is covered in scratches. I don&#39;t really care anyway because you have to actually stare at it to notice it.[/b]

Not a warranty issue or a support issue. Like ipods, shiny plastic surfaces scratch. You might not even see the source of the scratch, but little sand particles on desktop surfaces can do it - or even worse, a grungy old bag or even a new bag which accidentally gets dirt and sand in it. I have a client who has a school load of school issued NEC ibook knocokoffs (ie pc laptop which is shiny plastic white in colour) and they all exhibit tiny scratches. Not trying to be smug, but this is something you should take into account when buying the computer. This is another reason why I bought the black matte finish macbook over the base white, even though I paid a premium for it.

that being said you can buy body protectors to prevent further scratching, I have the ipod version of this and it&#39;s well worth the money:
<http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APPMCBF.html>

Alternatively you can buy one of the multitude of macbook sleeves to protect it, but I think the shield is a better more permanent solution.

I&#39;m sorry you seem to have got a dud, but I am confident you should be able to get the case and power adaptor issues fixed.

Dave