PDA

View Full Version : bootcamp - how can i create a shared folder for xp/ox x

ubergrafik
3rd August 2006, 12:48 PM
I have installed bootcamp on my macbook pro. Everything works fine. I want to have a folder on OS X that XP will be able to access too. Both os's need read write access to it so i can have shared things like mp3's and stuff. How can I set that up. I did the standard partion thinggy, so I think that means the XP partition is NTFS.

Thanks.

lambs
3rd August 2006, 01:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ubergrafik &#064; Aug 3 2006, 12&#58;48 PM) 200924</div>

I have installed bootcamp on my macbook pro. Everything works fine. I want to have a folder on OS X that XP will be able to access too. Both os&#39;s need read write access to it so i can have shared things like mp3&#39;s and stuff. How can I set that up. I did the standard partion thinggy, so I think that means the XP partition is NTFS.
[/b]

Pretty sure the shared folder thing can&#39;t be done....they are totally separate systems.

iTalk
3rd August 2006, 01:17 PM
If Windows was installed on a FAT32 partition, then Tiger can have access into any file in that partition.

But from Windows XP&#39;s side, you might need to install &#39;MacDrive&#39; so Windows will be able to read Apple HFS+ partition. I&#39;m not quite sure about the latter one though ..

ubergrafik
3rd August 2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah, thought that it was going to be hard. Thanks, will try the MacDrive option.

Beast5500
3rd August 2006, 02:47 PM
Try TransMac. It&#39;s a shareware product but can read all Mac Formats (HFS, HFS+ HFSX).

OS X can only read NTFS volumes.

ubergrafik
10th August 2006, 11:25 AM
I tried MacDrive and it&#39;s great&#33;

TransMac looks like its only for sale, and more expensive than MacDrive.

Jaffa
10th August 2006, 11:46 AM
The thing about MacDrive that worries me is that if a virus hits the Windows machine then the Mac part could get destroyed...

icant
10th August 2006, 12:45 PM
The original poster should be able to hang an external storage off the side of the machine. e.g. anything ranging from a USB flashdrive to a Firewire drive. I suppose formatted in FAT32, or something.

melbmac
10th August 2006, 01:09 PM
I have a folder on my desktop that is an alias to the desktop folder on XP.

It works fairly well because OSX can read the windows files, and I just make sure to leave any crap I might want to move from windows to OSX on my desktop when i&#39;m in Windows.

If I want to move, say MP3&#39;s to XP then I just drop them in the folder.

Hope this helps, I know it&#39;s not exactly what you were asking but....