PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Norwood Broken into

iSlayer
16th November 2004, 12:26 PM
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=266342

i noticed they have ads on this site so i felt it was worth posting

Disko
16th November 2004, 12:29 PM
yeah, they mentioned it to me earlier today.

If anyone has information as to who did this - get in contact with the police. Also, if you're in adelaide and find some 'too good to be true' prices on new mac hardware, let the police know about that.
If we keep a look out together, then we can catch the people who did this - it can't be tolerated.

All the best to Sonia & other staff at AppleCenter Norwood as well. Hope you guys get things fixed soon.

Disko
16th November 2004, 03:25 PM
Just an update: AppleCenter Norwood have told me what has been stolen. The "bastards" (as i'll call them) got away with:

15" Powerbook G4 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA/100
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (64 MB DDR)
Combo Drive

17" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA/100
ATI Mobility Radeon
9700 (64 MB DDR)
Superdrive

12" iBook G4 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
30GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

14" iBook G4 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

These were all display models, and were hooked up via kensington locks. The cables were cut, so the locks would have been left attached. So if you see anyone with a "new" laptop that has scratches around the lock area, or indeed a cut kensington lock attached to it - Let the police know.
Another thing - none of the stolen laptops had power adaptors taken with them. That should be a dead giveaway if they try to sell.

Again - if anyone has information, notify the police. I'll post serial #'s of these machines in the coming days.

sillydog701
16th November 2004, 03:34 PM
Too bad.

Originally posted by Disko@Nov 16 2004, 03:25 PM
Another thing - none of the stolen laptops had power adaptors taken with them. That should be a dead giveaway if they try to sell.BTW, they could buy power adapters to sell the laptops with.

decryption
16th November 2004, 03:36 PM
Hopefully anyone who gets offered one can dob them into the police. Scum like that shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

MightyAtom
16th November 2004, 03:51 PM
Bastards! They destroyed an iMac and eMac ramming the shop… that makes me feel kinda nauseous.

I hope these fucktards get caught, the AppleCentre Norwood/Adelaide staff are the friendliest and most helpful people they don't deserve this kind of shit.

Lucas
16th November 2004, 04:24 PM
Does anyone know what happens if you buy a stolen Apple on say ebay, for a normal price and then get told its stolen when you register it or take it in for repairs. Is it buyer beware or what.

It would suck to buy a laptop of ebay and have it taken off you when you knew nothing about its shady past. If you paid $20 for a 17-inch powerbook its a different story. Maybe genuine people that find they have stolen goods should be able to keep it if they can prove they didn't have suspicion to believe it was stolen.

I am in two minds - anyway its tragic for the store, and even those people who say "they have insurance" it doesn't work like that. The people still have to clean up something they put their heart and souls into and contend with higher premiums on insurance in the future.

Disko
16th November 2004, 04:26 PM
It's a case of asking "do you have the serial numbers" to the seller and checking that out yourself i think. If you've purchased stolen goods unknowingly, then they just confiscate them as far as i know.

cazlar
16th November 2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 16 2004, 03:25 PM
These were all display models, and were hooked up via kensington locks. The cables were cut, so the locks would have been left attached. So if you see anyone with a "new" laptop that has scratches around the lock area, or indeed a cut kensington lock attached to it - Let the police know.
I'm not so sure that Kensington locks are much of a challenge to thieves. After a recent story on slashdot about how easy some of them are to break into I had a go at mine (a proper Kensington, not a knock-off). After a bit of experimenting I found something circular of just the right diameter, and with a few twists it opens, no problem at all. :unsure:

mjankor
16th November 2004, 06:11 PM
Damn that sucks. I'm always in the Norwood store as it's 200 metres from my work. I hope they catch the bastard(s) who did it.

What's really annoying is that it's a new store too and one of the best in Adelaide. I hope it doesn't impact on their business too much.

paranoid android
16th November 2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by mjankor@Nov 16 2004, 06:11 PM
Damn that sucks. I'm always in the Norwood store as it's 200 metres from my work. I hope they catch the bastard(s) who did it.

What's really annoying is that it's a new store too and one of the best in Adelaide. I hope it doesn't impact on their business too much.
yeah - it is pretty sucky. sonia is great! she has been very helpful in taking over $10k of my hard earned money from me over the past 4 months.(2x15" pb and lacie hdd)

if they are open again tomorrow i imagine it shouldnt impact on their business too much.

Phillip
16th November 2004, 07:03 PM
Damn. Maybe the store can tell us what serial numbers they are and for those here looking into buying something they stole on eBay can ask for the serial number. :P

This again proves that kensington locks really suck.

Disko
16th November 2004, 07:11 PM
sonia will provide them to me in the coming days i've been told, when they account for everything that's been taken.

hawker
16th November 2004, 09:02 PM
It's probably a PC person affraid to admit they are a Mac lover at heart.

Take the computers back and pay for them!

designers_hub
16th November 2004, 09:16 PM
dam i hate people like that. Its just disgusting.

i hope they catch the ass holes.

note look on ebay. i found on ebay that people pay pretty close RRP prices, so if you see really cheap By it now prices then its proably stolen.

everyone keep a look out on ebay.

designers_hub
16th November 2004, 09:18 PM
o yeah. all computers have a serial number idenitifering. so if they try to use warranity, techical support or i think even activate the computer they get tracked.

since it was a demo if it connects to the net can't they track?

zefi
16th November 2004, 10:33 PM
I thought I would point out that it is an offence to buy stolen goods, whether or not your suspect them to be stolen or not. You can end up in as much trouble as the thugs that did the actual stealing.

So there isn't just an ethical obligation here, but a legal one too.

internet
16th November 2004, 11:38 PM
i thought kensington locks were good

can they just be cut with bolt cutters?

zefi
17th November 2004, 05:08 AM
I don't think they are designed to stop the most determined thief, it's really to stop opportunistic individuals from making off with your machine. There aren't going to be too many uni students with a pair of bolt cutters for example.

Currawong
17th November 2004, 07:07 AM
Unfortunately there are always going to be crime groups that do this kind of thing.

designers_hub
17th November 2004, 07:10 AM
it is an offence if you buy stolen goods. The fine for a seller of just one item is like $5000 + and year in jail. For the buyer its like $2000. I'm not sure but yes the buyer does it charged.

well you can tell if its stolen anyways, does it come with warranity? invoice? is the company real and registered? and is the price just stupid like getting a fully blown G5 computer worth $35 000 for just $1000???

I was contacting a dude on ebay and they where offering me 5 G5's at 1000 each. Each of them where wroth $35 000. i knew that was ether stolen or just a scheme to rob you of your money.

i dought it was stoeln proably just a scheme to take your money and run.

paranoid android
17th November 2004, 05:50 PM
i went into the store today and had a look at the kensington locks,
they werent actually cut - they were yanked out of the side of the powerbook! there was still a little chunk of aluminium and plastic hanging off the side of the locks!

designers_hub
17th November 2004, 08:18 PM
i would think it was a planned attack. apple stuff are worth a pretty penny

but how stupid is that, you basically made teh computer unsellible.

hey you know those anti-theft cords you attach to the computer how strong is that actually? could you cut through it? or does it have metal wires or something

markh
17th November 2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by cazlar@Nov 16 2004, 04:57 PM
I'm not so sure that Kensington locks are much of a challenge to thieves. After a recent story on slashdot about how easy some of them are to break into I had a go at mine (a proper Kensington, not a knock-off). After a bit of experimenting I found something circular of just the right diameter, and with a few twists it opens, no problem at all. :unsure:
Laptop locks really are a waste. More of a casual deterent.. If someone wants to tahe your laptop, they will and the lock wont stop them :-)

mjankor
17th November 2004, 10:39 PM
Surprises me that they went for the laptops, which I expect would be hard to sell if they were damaged by the lock removal, instead of the stores supply of iPods.

Also I heard someone say that the Norwood store will be closing because of this. Can anyone confirm or disprove that.

Disko
17th November 2004, 11:03 PM
I can disprove that mjankor - they're open and trading. expect a news post on it.

estoyloco
18th November 2004, 08:26 AM
Hey ...

I would be very careful when looking into this stuff.. you have to think calmlybefore you do things like this. Your emotions might get the better of you and you might give things away.

I mean if you find a potential suspect dont ask too many questions like serial #&#39;s etc. They wont give them to you and never return your emails. You have to slowly get info out of them. Say for instance if you find a suspect item in the "comtrader" <-sanctuary for stolen goods, then email the seller with a price offer first. Dont ask strait away hi i want your powerbook, what aare its serial numbers? can you provide a receipt,does the box match the serial #&#39;s etc.

I have been involved in a similar scenario twice and i remember i nearly let them get away and thought i might have scared him off. We got the bastard in the end tho.

So yeah if you find a suspect item, ask small questions gradually. Like, does it have any scratches or dints etc?- they might say yeah i had a problem with a kensington lock or something..... just reply saying that doesnt matter as long as the screen is fine. etc... Or ask him a stupid question like can it run windows on it... if he thinks your an idiot it builts up his confidence to come and meet you to sell it... you gotta make him think your a chump.

He will would most likely arrange for him to meet you or come to your place when he sells it. If that happens let the police know, they will get an unmarked car down to your street and you will get him.

I would start looking in the comtrader. New ebay users ... etc.

They would also most likely have a number of Optus prepaid typenumbers thatdont have a link to them, so take down various numbers etc. If they sell on ebay to get around the "you cant have a hotmail type address" they sometimes buy XXX@optusnet.com.au from sites that sell make your own address etc.

So yeah.. eitehr just look into it a little bit then perhaps email disko who could pass the info onto that apple place.

I wouldnt wantto recommend having them come to ur place but if you did, have someone sweeping your next door neighbours place so that they can observe what car, rego, make etc that they come in, while they are inside or up at your place. This is taking me back...it was so much fun getting the bastard... Too bad the police cant do much... hopefully with this scenario tho bcos they brke into a store there might be finger prints etc...

Sorry for mamoth post..

Just think really carefully before emailing seller.. cos if he gets one email that puts him off he might suspect following ones etc..

nider
19th November 2004, 04:52 PM
fools, the laptops have a chunk missing from the side of them... well that&#39;s gonna make them hard to spot...

Stupid friggin thieves :angry:

macintoshrules
19th November 2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701@Nov 16 2004, 03:34 PM
Too bad.

BTW, they could buy power adapters to sell the laptops with.
You need to give them the serial numbers to be able to buy power adaptors as they are almost always stolen without them. Lets hope we catch the stupid &#036;#*&#036;)@#&#036;*@)%@#5@#%*#*%)*@#%*@#&#036;(*#&#036;*)@#&#036;(#* #@&#036;*@#*&#036;)#@ @#*&#036;*&#036;@&#036;)(#&#036;*&#036;#*@#*&#036;)@&#036;# *#)&#036;*)@#*%)@%(*#&%#@ @#&(*@&#036;&@#&#036;&&&#036; &&#036;&@#&#036;&@#^&#036;*^&#036;*&&#036;#^ @ *@^&#036;*#@&#036;*&&#036;#^*^&#036; @*&@&#036;&@^*&^&#036;*@^&#036; ^@#&#036;^*^&#036;*&#036;^ @&#036;^*#@^&#036;*&#@^&#036; &*^&#036;*&#@&#036;^ &#&#036;^@*#^&#036;*&#&#036;^* @&&#036;#*#&#036;*&#036;^* *&#^&#036;*@#^&#036;&** @*&#036;&#@&#036;^*@#&#036;&*@^# &*#&#036;^@#&#036;*&#@&#036;^&#036;*&^&#036;*&@*&^ @*^&#036;*#&#036;*&&#036;^*&# *&#^&#036;*@#^&#036;*&@#&#036;^ &&#036;@*&#036;^*&#036;^*@^@*^* *@# &#036;@#&#036;^@&#036;^&*&#036;^**@@*@^&#036; @#^&#036;*&@#&#036;*&@*&*&^@ &&#036;*&@#&#036;*&^*&#036;^*#@&#036; &*#@^&#036;*&#@&*@#*&@&#036;^#@ *&^&#036;*&#@&#036;*&#@^&#036;*&&#036; &*#^&#036;*&#@&#036;*&^&*@#*& and so on...

Someone also posted this on the linked forum
User #66918 6 posts
adelaidecrows02
I&#39;m new here, please be nice
iBook writes...
I&#39;ve heard that a few other shops have been rammed on the parade recently?

Quite a few of the stores surrounding our store have been robbed, one even two nights in a row - and this has happened in the last month.....none of these have been ram raided however...two of the stores had sledge hammers used, and at least one of the other stores, entry was via the roof......Unley last week had a couple of ram raids, and according to the police guy i was speaking to yesterday, had the same MO as what happened to us....

On a positve front I had a call from the police last nite and they have pretty much identified who has done it, and what they have in their possession, so am waiting for confirmation today..
herring | anchor
Reply to this post | Send WhiM
posted Wednesday at 9:21 am

sillydog701
19th November 2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by macintoshrules@Nov 19 2004, 05:02 PM
You need to give them the serial numbers to be able to buy power adaptors as they are almost always stolen without them.
No, you don&#39;t.

Disko
19th November 2004, 06:12 PM
I&#39;ve purchased power adaptors - you don&#39;t need a serial number to get them.

What will give it away is that "the bastards" ripped the kensington lock right out of the side of the powerbooks - so there is a big chunk of aluminium missing on the stolen goods.

These guys are so busted. :)

icant
20th November 2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 19 2004, 08:12 AM
What will give it away is that "the bastards" ripped the kensington lock right out of the side of the powerbooks - so there is a big chunk of aluminium missing on the stolen goods.

These guys are so busted. :)
Wasn&#39;t there a post above, that said the Kensington locks are not actually very difficult to unlock?

Once the cable is cut, and the laptop carried off, the thief has "all the time in the world" to figure out how to unlock them; and then remove them without damaging the PowerBook itself.

Maybe the thief won&#39;t sell the laptops. Maybe he/she/it is a needy student that needs a computer but couldn&#39;t afford it... :unsure: Still makes it wrong, I know.

fompsweeva
20th November 2004, 08:16 AM
From what I&#39;ve gathered from this thread, they ripped off the locks at the scene and there are still bits of powerbook at the store.w

zen
20th November 2004, 11:08 AM
From my point of view, These thiefs arn&#39;t professionals
They don&#39;t know what these gear are worth exacly nor how to work them (No Technological Knowledge)
Possibly not a very well planned attack either, judging by the way the locks are removed
They are Scums, Druggo&#39;s, A discrase to those professionals in the same trade :ph34r:

I&#39;m sure the real thiefs would like to knock their lights out too :P

Ozi
20th November 2004, 11:31 AM
LMAO you sound like we need to encourage the "professionals" there, zen&#33; :lol:

But yes I would agree... perhaps they just happened to crash their car into the store, and as they drove off the jagged metal at the front of their car caught on the computers, and they unwittingly carried them off? possible&#33; :D

Disko
20th November 2004, 11:35 AM
Heres something new for you - i was told that the G5 imac i reviewed was at the front of the store, and took the full hit from the car. It fell and landed face down on the floor. Anyway - it still works. :)
The emac on the other side of the room has a black mark and scratches over the top of it - and that still works as well. :)

Phillip
20th November 2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 20 2004, 12:35 PM
Heres something new for you - i was told that the G5 imac i reviewed was at the front of the store, and took the full hit from the car. It fell and landed face down on the floor. Anyway - it still works. :)
The emac on the other side of the room has a black mark and scratches over the top of it - and that still works as well. :)
:D Good to know how robust the Macs are.

Zen, your post made me laugh. :lol:

frenchtoast
20th November 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 20 2004, 11:35 AM
I wonder whos going to go in and ask if they can buy them cheap as damaged stock.

mjankor
22nd November 2004, 02:22 PM
I&#39;ll ask tonight :D

iSlayer
22nd November 2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 20 2004, 11:35 AM
the emacs are EXTREAMLY tough.
ive heard of people dropping them off 1m high benches and not having a scratch on them.

for those who dont know the material apple use for g3/g4 towers and ibooks and emacs is the same material used to make bullet proof glass.
the new imacs use that material aswell.

the_OM
24th November 2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Nov 22 2004, 02:25 PM
the emacs are EXTREAMLY tough.
ive heard of people dropping them off 1m high benches and not having a scratch on them.

for those who dont know the material apple use for g3/g4 towers and ibooks and emacs is the same material used to make bullet proof glass.
the new imacs use that material aswell.
you have me tempted to fire a bullet at my old ibook thats just sitting behind me gathering dust now.

mjankor
24th November 2004, 07:02 PM
Noooo. I&#39;ll take it off your hands. I want one as a server.

pipsqeek
24th November 2004, 10:49 PM
Too bad the G5 towers don&#39;t cope so well with a 1m drop off a bench.

I&#39;ve seen the result of one. Its not pretty.

Actually it wasn&#39;t that bad.

pipsqeek

weiinadelaide
30th December 2004, 05:28 PM
i had my ibook for 2 years , and got it stolen 2 months ago with my bf ibook at home. apparently some one broke into our house during the lunch break.

my housemate&#39;s dell got stolen too.

this morning, we got a call from police, they got the man (men) who stole our goods. we got the housemate&#39;s dell back, and they don&#39;t have our ibooks, probably sold already. :(

i don&#39;t understand the law here in australia, if they caught the guy, can he give us compensations or something? :( would like to know..

that bastard got my digital camera as well, nikon 5400 :&#39;(

mjankor
30th December 2004, 05:33 PM
I wouldn&#39;t be surprised if you could sue them. I expect the insurance company would be after them if you claimed them under insurance.

Not sure though. I&#39;ve never really looked into it. I just have my stuff insured.

Exocet
30th December 2004, 06:19 PM
The police charge them for stealing. They will tell you who sold it. It is your responsibility to seek recompense from the thieves.