PDA

View Full Version : MYOB problem

Mutters
3rd August 2006, 11:29 AM
I've hit the wall here folks. Anyone got experience with MYOB FirstEdge?
I can't import my details from my OS 9 version of First Accounts.
Have tried all export and import options, but the files that are created are greyed out and unselectable.
Can't get any response from MYOB themselves, so far ( so, what's new? ).

stumped

mutters

graemie
3rd August 2006, 11:43 AM
I use OSX FirstEdge, but I don't know how to fix your problem as I never had the OS9 version. Have you got the $99 support with MYOB? It's worth it I reckon. Sorry I can't help.

g.

Mutters
4th August 2006, 10:29 AM
Graemie
I'm reluctant to throw $99.00 to MYOB just to learn how to import.
Is there no one else out there with any idea?

mutters

new2mac
4th August 2006, 11:04 AM
I use it but have never imported from OS9.

Do you have the software manual? It's pretty comprehensive.

I wouldn't pay for phone support either. Have done so in the past & it's been a pathetic waste of money.

graemie
4th August 2006, 11:33 AM
Up to you. It's worth it for me because having the support means I don't get charged additionally for putting CC/BPay/Postbillpay etc on my invoices.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Cheers,
g.

Mutters
4th August 2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks new2mac
No I don't have the manual, but the included html and PDF files seem qutie comprehensive. They talk of importing and exporting from other programs, but don't mention First Accounts at all. From what I can see so far it's just an updated GUI version of FA with internet facilities.
I had the same experience with MYOB support with FA - pathetic.

Graemie, what you are doing sounds perfect, but it's not needed here.

hoping someone knows the answer

mutters

skibunny
4th August 2006, 12:08 PM
Isn't there something along the lines of upgrading the file to the current version? I don't have my mac infront of me at the moment so going off the top of my head but if you try to open your OS9 version with FirstEdge it asks you to upgrade the file to the current version.

Otherwise in the MYOB folder there is a upgrade from V.** app I think

Do a backup of the file first though.

soulman
4th August 2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah, upgrading the file is all I've ever done when upgrading MYOB.

BiRDBRAiN
4th August 2006, 12:31 PM
Have you considered exporting your chart of accounts and just doing opening balance entries in the journal.

Could be the easier way if upgrading isn't working.

I used to work in a position where I was overseeing the accounts of an organisation and I have to say the MYOB support was really good.

Mutters
4th August 2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks skibunny and soulman
The thing is, my OS9 version is on another computer. You've given me an idea though. I might try installing my FA in Classic mode on this comp. Maybe if I try opening the appropriate files with FE it might ask if I want to ugrade? S'pose it's worth a try.

thanks again
mutters

Mutters
4th August 2006, 12:54 PM
BiRDBRAiN
I'll give that a go, but I get the feeling it'll be greyed out when I go to open it.
FYI, I'm moving the files from my old desktop to my iBook via CF card. I've had weird things happen with files using this method in the past. Like QT 5 files that weren't recognised by QT 7. I'd have to open them in Classic, then re-save before they'd open in X.
I wonder if something like that is happening here?
I'll be away for the rest of the day, so thanks for your input people and I'll let you know how I go over the weekend. :thumbup:

mutters

tuffy
4th August 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi

You shouldn't need to install FA - just move the data file on to the mac you have the new version on and open it using the new version.

Mutters
12th August 2006, 02:31 PM
Got sick of getting nowhere, so left it for the past week.
Now, Skibunny and Soulman talk of upgrading, I can't get beyong the window that says I need to upgrade the file. From there it sends me to the intro window where you can open the app or start a new account. Neither of these will recognise my old files.
Birdbrain, the export option does much the same as I said in the above para.
tuffy, much the same happens when I try this, as above.
:cry:
Any more ideas out there?

mutters

benny gsr
12th August 2006, 03:49 PM
I used to run First accounts in classic mode in osx. I upgraded my files when moving into Account Edge (osx). That worked fine. However the upgrade required the "upgrade assistant " (part of Account edge).

Do you not have this as part of First Edge ? It more or less asks you where your old file is, and then guides you through the process.
Without the upgrade assistant, I can't see how it can work.

Good luck

Mutters
12th August 2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks Benny. I think I'll give up on this. No, there is no upgrade assistant with my copy of FirstEdge.
I think I'll skulk over to the corner for a quick little whimper - I'm done. The thing that really disappoints me is that I can get no assistance from MYOB themselves, and there's absolutely no mention of FA in any of documentation!
At least I've got another frisbee now.

mutters

skibunny
12th August 2006, 04:34 PM
Just another suggestion - try downloading the trial version from MYOB to upgrade your old file with. If that works then you can open with your copy of First Edge.

Mutters
12th August 2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for that, I'l give it a go.

mutters

morgan
12th August 2006, 04:57 PM
Not all MYOB files are compatable with each other. MYOB Accounting for XP wont import into First edge, only into Accountedge. This is a pain as MYOB Accouting is $250 but to transfer files you need to buy the $500 account edge. Maybe Firstedge cant import your os9 MYOB files at all...