PDA

View Full Version : terminal program to talk to serial devices

spike@au
2nd August 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi all, looking for a terminal program to use to talk to serial devices from phones that use AT commands to GPS devices to network gear such as switches. Can anybody recommend one that emulates the usual VT100 etc.

Thanks

teej
3rd August 2006, 12:35 AM
screen - `man screen` at the terminal prompt ;)

forgie
3rd August 2006, 12:56 AM
I've had to resort to using Hyperterminal inside Virtual PC..... AFAIK nothing in the way of a terminal really "talks" to RS-232 properly in OSX. There was one program that's a few years old, but it didn't work in Tiger unfortunately.

Hmmm me thinks this would be a good opportunity for a developer project?

nath
3rd August 2006, 02:28 AM
I use ZTERM (http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/) and an external USB to serial converter (some IBM one I had laying around) on my 12"PB to connect ot all manner of Cisco hardware and server serial consoles..

purana
3rd August 2006, 08:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teej &#064; Aug 3 2006, 12&#58;35 AM) 200769</div>

screen - &#96;man screen&#96; at the terminal prompt ;)
[/b]

Umm this is not a terminal program for talking to serial type devices.. it however allows your terminal session to be several virtual ones after screen is ran... and detached etc.

spike@au
3rd August 2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks all for the replies, sounds like nath has the solution, I&#39;ll give that a go. Cheers Spike

teej
3rd August 2006, 10:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purana &#064; Aug 3 2006, 08&#58;12 AM) 200807</div>

Umm this is not a terminal program for talking to serial type devices.. it however allows your terminal session to be several virtual ones after screen is ran... and detached etc.
[/b]
Please have the deceny to investigate someones advice before discarding it.

screen port speed

eg:

screen /dev/tty.USBUART 9600

forgie
3rd August 2006, 10:22 PM
So does screen work? Great if it does&#33; ZTerm didn&#39;t work for me at all from memory. I got a feeling it was never updated for Tiger, but I could be wrong there.

teej
3rd August 2006, 10:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Aug 3 2006, 10&#58;22 PM) 201141</div>

So does screen work? Great if it does&#33; ZTerm didn&#39;t work for me at all from memory. I got a feeling it was never updated for Tiger, but I could be wrong there.
[/b]
Yes it does - I use it for configuring my Cisco 827 via a USB to Serial adaptor. I had the same problem as you, couldn&#39;t get ZTerm to work so I found yet another use for screen ;)

From the manpage:

If a tty (character special device) name (e.g. "/dev/ttya") is specified as the first parameter, then the window is directly connected to this device. This window type is similar to "screen cu -l /dev/ttya". Read and write access is required on the device node, an exclusive open is attempted on the node to mark the connection line as busy. An optional parameter is allowed consisting of a comma separated list of flags in the notation used by stty(1):
[/b]

nath
4th August 2006, 01:40 AM
Great, I also did not know screen could be used, I will more that likely discard zterm in favour of it :)

pipsqeek
4th August 2006, 07:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nath &#064; Aug 3 2006, 02&#58;28 AM) 200785</div>

I use ZTERM (http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/) and an external USB to serial converter (some IBM one I had laying around) on my 12"PB to connect ot all manner of Cisco hardware and server serial consoles..
[/b]

How does that work? Well?

My experience hasn&#39;t been fantastic with those things and Cisco.

Maybe the brand of the converter. hmm.

Cheers
pipsqeek

purana
4th August 2006, 08:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teej &#064; Aug 3 2006, 10&#58;12 PM) 201137</div>

screen port speed

eg:

screen /dev/tty.USBUART 9600
[/b]

And maybe you SHOULD have posted this in the first place, along with your suggestion of just &#39;screen&#39; and leaving it at that. In any case I stand corrected, guess they have implemented alot more functions, and seriously no need to be NASTY.

zbaron
4th August 2006, 08:50 AM
I ported my old Linux favourite -- minicom. I&#39;ve made a package available at http://homepage.mac.com/netmaster_bruce/ which installs it in /usr/local/bin -- yes, it has to be run from a Terminal.

Its PPC native but works fine on Intel as well. I use it with a Keyspan USB/RS232 converter.

teej
4th August 2006, 10:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purana &#064; Aug 4 2006, 08&#58;19 AM) 201228</div>

And maybe you SHOULD have posted this in the first place, along with your suggestion of just &#39;screen&#39; and leaving it at that. In any case I stand corrected, guess they have implemented alot more functions, and seriously no need to be NASTY.
[/b]
I apologise if my post caused offence although I fail to see how it would have. I suggested checking the manual page for screen - that would have provided the answer. If you or the original poster were unsure of how screen could be used to do this, a follow up post could have been made - instead you made an assumption that was incorrect, which frankly, I consider bad form for a forum leader.

forgie
4th August 2006, 11:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teej &#064; Aug 3 2006, 10&#58;12 PM) 201137</div>
Please have the deceny to investigate someones advice before discarding it.[/b]
If someone said "Please have the decency to....." to me, I would be a little taken aback too....

Anyway, it looks like the moral of the story is: if purana makes any more incorrect assumptions, teej is gonna have a hissy fit. Chill people :rolleyes:

Hopefully from this thread, EVERYONE involved should have learnt something. EVERYONE. You know what I&#39;m saying.

purana
4th August 2006, 11:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zbaron &#064; Aug 4 2006, 08&#58;50 AM) 201232</div>

I ported my old Linux favourite -- minicom. I&#39;ve made a package available at http://homepage.mac.com/netmaster_bruce/ which installs it in /usr/local/bin -- yes, it has to be run from a Terminal.

Its PPC native but works fine on Intel as well. I use it with a Keyspan USB/RS232 converter.
[/b]

Oh minicom, something I used so often many many many moons ago. I think I might have to grab that and install. Great program. Worked well, did the job and with little fuss.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(teej &#064; Aug 4 2006, 10&#58;41 AM) 201278</div>

I apologise if my post caused offence although I fail to see how it would have. I suggested checking the manual page for screen - that would have provided the answer. If you or the original poster were unsure of how screen could be used to do this, a follow up post could have been made - instead you made an assumption that was incorrect, which frankly, I consider bad form for a forum leader.
[/b]

I admitted my fault (publically) and yes I am not perfect, and seriously give the dog a bone (you don&#39;t need to drag it on and on).

g5agogo
4th August 2006, 12:23 PM
I guess I&#39;ll be the first one to say thanks teej. Your advice was spot on and has no doubt provided a number of us appletalkers with some new knowledge.

forgie
4th August 2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, thanks teej, I will find that very useful.