PDA

View Full Version : Using a notebook as a desktop (w/ lid closed)

mechcon
2nd August 2006, 08:44 PM
Any of you folks use your notebooks that way?

Is it alright to do it? I suppose my main concern is the heat from the 'heat' areas when lid is closed... anyone care to shed some (positive) light on it? :)

something2sea
2nd August 2006, 08:51 PM
it's 'fine' I did it for a long time with my 12", but, two things, take the battery out of it, and run the powerbook just from the charger (otherwise you'll stuff the battery). Mine didn't overheat while the lid was closed, but, i did mostly use it with the lid open (can't beat duel screen!) so, yeah.

mechcon
2nd August 2006, 08:54 PM
well, having dual screen with a 24" and a 15" isn't that good :\

something2sea
2nd August 2006, 08:56 PM
I had 12" & 17" still better than single 12" or 17"

but, yeah, the main thing i would say (as stated above), is about the battery, I learnt the hard way, and needed to get a new one becuase i stuffed it by leaving in plugged in the entire time

Quamen
2nd August 2006, 09:19 PM
The battery shouldn't be effected. It'll trickly charge, once it's full it won't keep charging it.

I ran my 12" powerbook lid closed and on the power about 70% of the 2 and a half years I owned it, battery is fine.

I'm doing the same thing with my macbook.

What you do need to do, is make sure that you drain the battery every month or so and charge back to full in order to re-calibrate it, otherwise it'll get out of sync report dodgy battery life remaining.

AppleSammy
2nd August 2006, 09:29 PM
Can I use my Pismo running 10.4.7 w/ lid closed? or is this a feature restricted to later models?

thnx all

omelette
3rd August 2006, 04:01 PM
I used a Wallstreet for a couple of years with the lid closed attached to a 3rd party dock (http://www.bookendzdocks.com/) with no problems, so should be ok with your Pismo :)

edit = added BookEndz url

Rayd
3rd August 2006, 04:53 PM
anyone here doing this on a iBook? what are your experiences? i hear that it isnt good as the LCD will block the vents?

any truth to this?

thorevenge
3rd August 2006, 04:55 PM
From what I have heard/seen on the web - iBook + clamshell mode = big no.

melted.marsbar
3rd August 2006, 05:28 PM
Well, while we've bought up batteries in here, is it okay to leave the battery in, and also have my PB plugged in all the time too? Does it really stuff the battery up?

Melted.Marsbar

pipsqeek
3rd August 2006, 05:29 PM
Personally I don't recommend this. Heat rises, and in laptops a lot of it rises through the keyboard.

AppleSammy
3rd August 2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks for sharing omelette, I will be sure to try this on the ol-pismo.

vargz
3rd August 2006, 09:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pipsqeek &#064; Aug 3 2006, 04&#58;59 PM) 201023</div>

Personally I don&#39;t recommend this. Heat rises, and in laptops a lot of it rises through the keyboard.
[/b]
Personally, I thoroughly agree with Pipsqeek...

When using my Powerbook, it is usually opened and spanned with my 20" DELL. Once it was shut, supposed to be asleep but someone must have knocked the mouse or the keyboard, so it was shut and on (for hell knows how long) and was very hot, like never before, even compared to those occasions when I push it.

So my advice is, if you can help it, keep it open and wack it on an iCurve when in use. It&#39;ll keep it cooler and increase its long-term lifespan, I have no doubt.

mechcon
3rd August 2006, 09:42 PM
well i had a discussion with my mate who&#39;s a techie at an apple store, he says that its fine to do, the notebooks are built to do that kind of thing anyway&#33; and he does it all the time.

spargo
3rd August 2006, 10:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mechcon &#064; Aug 3 2006, 12&#58;42 PM) 201130</div>

well i had a discussion with my mate who&#39;s a techie at an apple store, he says that its fine to do, the notebooks are built to do that kind of thing anyway&#33; and he does it all the time.
[/b]

Each to their own I guess. I&#39;m in a similar situation to vargz with my PB spanned to a 17" screen, and I am ultra careful not to have it wake from sleeping with the lid closed - to the point where I actually turn off the charger at the wall so it&#39;ll stay snoozing despite being still connected to the DVI cable to the screen.

And anyway an iCurve is a must for spanning, so that helps with temps whether on or if cooling down/off.

melted.marsbar
3rd August 2006, 11:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vargz &#064; Aug 3 2006, 09&#58;34 PM) 201125</div>

Personally, I thoroughly agree with Pipsqeek...

When using my Powerbook, it is usually opened and spanned with my 20" DELL. Once it was shut, supposed to be asleep but someone must have knocked the mouse or the keyboard, so it was shut and on (for hell knows how long) and was very hot, like never before, even compared to those occasions when I push it.

So my advice is, if you can help it, keep it open and wack it on an iCurve when in use. It&#39;ll keep it cooler and increase its long-term lifespan, I have no doubt.
[/b]

I suppose I forgot to mention those things :P

I have my PowerBook spanning to another 15" LCD, and it&#39;s on an iCurve. But should we remove our batteries, or will they be fine with the AC charger plugged in all the time?

vid
3rd August 2006, 11:53 PM
I connect to my OLD 17" monitor much of the time with the lid closed and the battery in, the only problem I have occasionally is when I unplug and then go to use it "normally" the computer has turned off and I have no idea why, the only way to avoid this is to unplug the monitor with the lid open and THEN shut it.

avolve
4th August 2006, 05:13 AM
i use my iBook as a desktop at home, yet have problems with it not wanting to wake when the lid is closed. I do not span it (19" and 12") do not work together than well, and - given the sleep issue - have been keeping it open, yet with the screen brightness turned right down

If i touch the keyboard/plut it in, it will wake to login then go back to sleep.

Any experiences/thoughts/work-arounds?

thanx ;)

ps i am also interested in the battery issue - i have my iBook plugged in pretty much all the time when in use (i.e. at school when not at home) and i posted before how my battery went holding from 3-4 hours charge to only holding 1 overnight :(

mechcon
4th August 2006, 07:04 AM
I forgot to mention that I have an icurve too :P

oh and what is the official word from apple regarding this query? anyone stumble upon it?

James
4th August 2006, 09:14 AM
Here you go:

&#39;How to use your PowerBook G4 or MacBook Pro with the display closed&#39; (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286

Good ol&#39; Google&#33;

B)

mechcon
4th August 2006, 09:18 AM
no no.. good ol&#39; slave to use google :P

bartron
4th August 2006, 09:22 AM
Just as long as you don&#39;t use a hairdryer (http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/A3F324DDBED1ADBFCA2570F3001E7138) at the same time

Bartron

Aa
4th August 2006, 09:27 AM
There are some appledocs in the support area of the apple site that specifically deal with clamshell mode and the models that should be doing it.

I highly recommend checking them out before committing yourself to any long term usage. For the appropriate models there is no issue as long as you keep your machine well ventilated. That melted ibook that appeared on the net a few months ago was from clamshelling in an enclosed space i believe.

One recommendation. be careful using things like limewire or video skype etc.. that use up to 80% of your processor. Thats my opinion anyway.

mechcon
4th August 2006, 09:57 AM
I found that once it&#39;s in clamshell mode, and the primary display is on a monitor of sorts, you can of course open the lid, and problem solved

iDaife
14th November 2006, 09:32 PM
Just checking whether it would be O.K. to span a 20" monitor with a closed MacBook? There doesn't seem to by any warning from Apple, and they explain how to do it on their site (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286)

Cheers, Dave;)

tom_mclean
14th November 2006, 09:52 PM
There may be no warning, but the effect of the heatpath (the keyboard on most laptops) being blocked, may distort your screen, keys, and trackpad.

/tom.

iDaife
14th November 2006, 11:25 PM
That's worrying.. has it happened to anyone here?

Currawong
15th November 2006, 12:08 AM
If you run the machine sitting on top of a laptop cooler, that'll help considerably. In the Apple Stores, the demo model's shown set up this way are sat in a vertical "bookend" style stand, not a on a laptop pad.

thorevenge
15th November 2006, 12:13 AM
From memory the pro models are the only ones designed with the cooling in mind to enable clamshell mode.

Whilst they do generate a lot more heat with the screen closed, the cases and the fans etc are designed in such a way to operate like this.

The consumer models (iBook and MacBook) are not made for this kind of activity. This also coincides with Apple's decision to not enable screen spanning/dual monitor support natively and only enable screen mirroring. This is for a reason. They aren't made for this.

Whilst I don't mind running dual monitors I would never put my iBook into clamshell mode. Even the hack I used to enable screen spanning, called Screen Spanning Doctor, say's its not a good idea to do it, despite being able to unlock clamshell mode.

Further, the README also states how enabling clamshell mode can break your iBook even if you don't use it as it is a hack, unlike the screen spanning which the graphics card is capable of.

I agree with aa.... read the docs cos if you do it and your Mac dies, even under warranty you will be hard pressed to see it repaired I think you will find...

aspro
15th November 2006, 06:30 AM
…The consumer models (iBook and MacBook) are not made for this kind of activity. This also coincides with Apple's decision to not enable screen spanning/dual monitor support natively and only enable screen mirroring. This is for a reason. They aren't made for this.…

Well the Macbook can do screenspanning etc. exactly like my old Powerbook could, so perhaps it is made for it?

mechcon
15th November 2006, 06:53 AM
mmm I'd get the official word from apple first...

decryption
15th November 2006, 07:09 AM
You could just leave the screen open, and go dual screen :)
Leave it up and place your mail client, or IM windows there and keep your main screen for web surfing/the task you're concentrating on. That's what I did when I had a laptop.

Currawong
15th November 2006, 09:25 AM
If you have the desk space and an iCurve, you can do a great dual-monitor style setup. In my case, I only have a narrow desk, so I don't.

thorevenge
15th November 2006, 11:43 AM
If you have the desk space and an iCurve, you can do a great dual-monitor style setup. In my case, I only have a narrow desk, so I don't.

Yeah this is what I have running.

I know how much heat my iBook generates so closing the lid is a no-no. But dual monitors is nice :)

iDaife
15th November 2006, 11:53 AM
But what about MacBooks, not iBooks? There are indications that it can run a monitor with the laptop closed. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

geektechnu
15th November 2006, 12:34 PM
But what about MacBooks, not iBooks? There are indications that it can run Work fine striaght out of the box with MacBooks.

You'll need:
- a MiniDVI->VGA (or ->DVI) adaptor
- external kb+mouse to wake the macbook once it's closed.

iDaife
15th November 2006, 01:30 PM
Haha, sorry, I should have clarified. I intended to ask in relation to heat. I.e. will I experience screen and plastic distortion etc, as some iBooks have experienced?

Thanks for the effort though geektechnu!

Cheers, Dave;)

geektechnu
15th November 2006, 01:51 PM
Haha, sorry, I should have clarified. I intended to ask in relation to heat. I.e. will I experience screen and plastic distortion etc, as some iBooks have experienced?

Thanks for the effort though geektechnu!

Cheers, Dave;)
(*slaps forehead*) Whoops...

I have to say, I've had no problems with heat so far.
I previously noticed the main heat from my iBook running closed was from the HDD.
Macbooks seem to run much cooler in this regard.

Though some people say their macbooks get pretty hot (not me, but maybe I'm just lucky).

You could probably try it out a handful of times with little risk of any damage occuring.
(just to test how hot it get with the lid closed under normal usage)

iDaife
15th November 2006, 02:57 PM
Cheers mate, I'll do that then. Good to hear that you haven't experienced any probs tho.

Dave;)

pipsqeek
15th November 2006, 04:22 PM
(*slaps forehead*) Whoops...

I have to say, I've had no problems with heat so far.
I previously noticed the main heat from my iBook running closed was from the HDD.
Macbooks seem to run much cooler in this regard.

Though some people say their macbooks get pretty hot (not me, but maybe I'm just lucky).

You could probably try it out a handful of times with little risk of any damage occuring.
(just to test how hot it get with the lid closed under normal usage)

You have to be careful when you say it doesn't get hot.

Do you mean it doesn't "feel" hot to touch? or that the macbook operating temperatures remain low?

Because if it doesn't feel hot when you touch it. It could be a case of the Heatsink not making contact with the item producing the heat... therefore not removing the heat from the item, and spreading it out and away from the source.

pipsqeek

Jaffa
29th November 2006, 06:29 PM
If you want to use some big screens and a small laptop screen my advice would be run something like mail or something like that on your small screens, freeing up your bigger screens for more important *cough* work :P

Also, in my documentation that came with my MacBook there are instructions on how to user the computer with the lid closed, so it looks like Apple finally give support to doing this, caus I was told that you could do it with previous models but apple didnt support it.

BTW. Post No. 666. Not good :eek: