PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo Update

tania2412
2nd August 2006, 11:35 AM
I've been reading that this might be on the cards with the big Mac event coming up. I've just ordered a MacBook Pro. Is this something I should be worried about mine not having? ie what does it mean in laymans terms??

new2mac
2nd August 2006, 12:04 PM
The likelyhood of Apple introducing that chip into the MBP lineup is very slim i think.
It would mean a quad processor laptop. Which would be great - but if they're getting 'warm' now in the MBP 15". What will the new chips be like heat wise?
Still could happen in the future, but not reall likely now.

Also i believe they do have a policy covering for upgrades if you've ordered close to an announcement - it might be within 14 days or something. Not sure.

tania2412
2nd August 2006, 12:10 PM
ok thanks.
i'm not too worried about it...been waiting so long to get it that I'm not going to put it off now :)

leon
2nd August 2006, 12:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(new2mac &#064; Aug 2 2006, 12&#58;04 PM) 200493</div>

The likelyhood of Apple introducing that chip into the MBP lineup is very slim i think.
It would mean a quad processor laptop. Which would be great - but if they&#39;re getting &#39;warm&#39; now in the MBP 15". What will the new chips be like heat wise?
Still could happen in the future, but not reall likely now.

Also i believe they do have a policy covering for upgrades if you&#39;ve ordered close to an announcement - it might be within 14 days or something. Not sure.
[/b]

The outlook is actually quite likely. The Core 2 Duo is not a quad core chip. The Core 2 Duo (Merom) that is going into the laptops runs cooler than current chips, uses less power, and is supposed to be 20 to 40% faster.

The Fluffy Duck
2nd August 2006, 12:38 PM
R.I.P "pentium"

tcn33
2nd August 2006, 12:40 PM
Even if Steve announces Core 2 Duo MBPs at WWDC, they probably wouldn&#39;t be available until late August at earliest, according to Intel&#39;s press release.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor-based notebooks will be available at the end of August.[/b]

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/rel...0060727comp.htm (http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20060727comp.htm)

lucious
2nd August 2006, 01:48 PM
If they are releasing updated MBP&#39;s then they will generally let existing stock sell out, before releasing them. (Update: the delivery times may stretch out to days or weeks)

All it means is that your &#39;old&#39; MBP will run slower and warmer... It&#39;ll still be a good Mac though.

I don&#39;t think they&#39;ll be updated until at least September - it&#39;s going to be all about Leopard, Mac Pro&#39;s and Servers and the &#39;one more thing&#39;...

Kharn
2nd August 2006, 02:11 PM
I&#39;m planning to upgrade with the next MBP. From what i&#39;ve been reading there is a good chance that it will be announced next week and ship later in the month. Its also rumoured that they&#39;ll be updating the case design. Besides that it will have a memrom processor and maybe a few more minor updates: hard drive, video and latch.

mechcon
2nd August 2006, 02:34 PM
folks, as long as the computer bloody does the job (at a satisfactory performance level), isn&#39;t that the main thing???

jeremy_warnock
2nd August 2006, 03:52 PM
I agree with mechcon - if the computer does the job thats all that matters.

But for what its worth my money will be on a janaury revision of the mbp - there has been little if any remours about the design change - we know its a consideration but no more then that