PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going Mac

leonessa
31st July 2006, 06:13 PM
Hi,

I think about going Mac and would be looking for an iBook or MacBook 12'-14' to comfortably run Photoshop CS2.

What would be the minimum requirements? It does not have to be a brand new model...

Thanks for your advice.

mvjs
31st July 2006, 06:20 PM
Welcome :)

If I was buying a new Mac, I would definatly buy an Intel based Mac - i.e. MacBook. iBooks are painfully obsolete compared to the MacBook.

But - Adobe Photoshop CS2 is not Universal - but because the MacBook is so much faster than the iBook you probally would find their speeds comparable until it goes universal - when the MacBook will scream on CS2.

The MacBook also has a 13.3 inch Widescreen, Camera, Longer Batterylife, Remote and a newly designed keyboard.

mechcon
31st July 2006, 06:31 PM
its true what they say, "once you go mac, you wont go back" (I switched just over a year ago, so yeah :P its true)

Agreed on the Macbook decision, however, I would put an ibook and a macbook side-by side if you can, and see the performance of CS2 on a macbook.. maybe even CS1 if there's features that are avail in both that you use..

Also on the CS3 side of things, the macbook will be shmick for it

Aa
31st July 2006, 08:54 PM
i'm running a design business (albeit a smaller one) comfortably off a 1.25ghz 15"Pbook. with 1gb Ram. She's a darling until the psd file size is around 400mb from there up she struggles, but rarely have i crashed it.

that said, I cant wait for a 64bit MacBook Pro with 4gig ram and universal CS3+Studio9 next year.

graemie
31st July 2006, 09:07 PM
I thought that 4Gb of Ram for MBPs/iMacs was going to be prohibitively expensive?

g.

speedway boy
31st July 2006, 09:25 PM
been seeing more and more of these posts of late. Good to see. I wonder if this anecdotal evidence is backed up by the sales figures?

Anyway back to the original point...

yep you should be fine if you jam it full of ram. But it will be a good day once adobe go universal though.

mechcon
31st July 2006, 09:46 PM
and (as much as i hate to say it) microsoft

adamjc
31st July 2006, 10:20 PM
I just switched my cousin on Saturday. Convinced her about the benefits etc. Printed off comparison models of other brands, and she just saw how much more better Macs are.

We went down to Next Byte in Melbourne to purchase the MacBook 15" 2.16Ghz and WOW, they gave an unbelievable deal, she was so happy...

Now I'm going over on Saturday this week to help her out. She loves it, I'm glad that now I have "converted" 2 people!!!

jeremy_warnock
31st July 2006, 10:31 PM
i have a macbook with 2gigs of ram and cs2 runs fine

Mac_Switcher
31st July 2006, 10:32 PM
Seeing as CS2 isn't universal yet, play it safe and get this one: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=23248

new2mac
31st July 2006, 10:34 PM
Yup, get a 12" or 15" PB. Load it with RAM & you'll never go back.
My wife's 12" PB 1.33ghz rocks with PS. We use it on location all of the time.
PB's are beautiful.

fiark
31st July 2006, 11:42 PM
*deleted*

SubElement
31st July 2006, 11:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fiark &#064; Jul 31 2006, 09&#58;42 PM) 200144</div>

So any ideas when CS2 will be universal? Do you think it will be anytime soon? Couple of months maybe?
[/b]

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/intelmacsupport.pdf

Go there. Adobe have said they do not plan to re-release their current products with Universal binary&#39;s, instead they are focusing their resources on the next version of their suite.

mechcon
1st August 2006, 07:07 AM
as a technical support staff... I honestly can&#39;t be arsed to fix pc&#39;s outside working hours anymore, not for friends, not for family friends.

I tell&#39;em instead to get macs, or get no support from me :P

jeremy_warnock
1st August 2006, 08:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mechcon &#064; Aug 1 2006, 07&#58;07 AM) 200167</div>

as a technical support staff... I honestly can&#39;t be arsed to fix pc&#39;s outside working hours anymore, not for friends, not for family friends.

I tell&#39;em instead to get macs, or get no support from me :P
[/b]

i do exactly the same mechcon - i can not count the number of nights/weekends i have lost due to virus&#39;s on friends/families computers. Or when they insist on running the latest apps and os on a machine way to old and wounder why its buggered.

its very nice to macs to come home to - press the button hear the chime and know its all good to go

insular
1st August 2006, 10:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mechcon &#064; Jul 31 2006, 06&#58;01 PM) 200034</div>

its true what they say, "once you go mac, you wont go back"
[/b]

That was my MSN name for a while when I got my new Macbook&#33;

Definitely recommend the Macbook, I&#39;ve only got the CPU whine issue which is hardly noticeable at times but still there and I have an issue with running an external monitor (seems to be a faulty port). Waiting on NB to DOA it for me, hoping to chase that up tomorrow.

Make sure you get some more RAM for it, 512 isn&#39;t really enough and doesn&#39;t even come close to demonstrating the real speed of the machine.

But all the benefits of these little machines by FAR outweigh the negatives (which are isolated cases IMO).

The Fluffy Duck
2nd August 2006, 12:25 PM
weather its a PC or a Mac or anything thats digital for that matter. Dont buy yesterdays technology for use tomorrow.

Dont get an iBook&#33;&#33;&#33;

Dont get me wrong I love the little machine and ive never had a problem with it (touch wood). However the macbook is a far faster machine. You will use it for cs2 and the speed diffrence is roughly the same as the ibook but everything else will be much faster and when cs3 comes out you will be glad you got the macbook over the ibook. And if you can run windows on the macbook you cant on the ibook. Also it looks sexier :P

EDIT: one thing you will want is maxed out ram in the macbook to run CS2 at full speed.

leonessa
2nd August 2006, 01:59 PM
Hi Guys,

thanks for all your comments.

I have 2 more questions:

is it really true, that a Mac is "idiot-safe"? Just asking because I&#39;m not really an expert in setting up computers ;) Or does everything come preinstalled?

What software would I need to get started? Any which I can really do without? I&#39;ll use my Mac mostly for editoing pics and updating my i pod :)

Cheers,
Leo

speedway boy
2nd August 2006, 02:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leonessa &#064; Aug 2 2006, 01&#58;59 PM) 200525</div>

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your comments.

I have 2 more questions:

is it really true, that a Mac is "idiot-safe"? Just asking because I&#39;m not really an expert in setting up computers ;) Or does everything come preinstalled?

What software would I need to get started? Any which I can really do without? I&#39;ll use my Mac mostly for editoing pics and updating my i pod :)

Cheers,
Leo
[/b]

Pull it out of the box, plug it in. thats it.
Yep, it comes with iLife which has all the apps you will need to get started. Import some photos, make a DVD etc. Plug in you ipod.

And if you come accross any hurdle, this site will always be here to answer questions.

If you have used itunes before then you will feel familiar with the other applications like iPhoto etc.