PDA

View Full Version : Menus and Languages

ClockWork
30th July 2006, 04:27 AM
Apologies for the damn wide screen. I have both Googled and Appled this, lest I wouldn't be asking, yet would anyone know if it was possible to turn most of the menu items in Tiger into a Unicode character set?

I need to set up a Mac for an Arabic fellow - a Persian - language: Farsi

Naturally, I cannot speak or read Farsi, so the initial setup must be in English. I have seen examples of Farsi menus in NeoOffice:

http://sixthcrusade.com/images/0/07/Neo12_writer_arabic.jpg

and then wondered if Farsi could... somehow be applied the rest of the menus of what is essentially a Western - European based machine.

Anyone kind enough to know if there is such software for OS X? The ability to switch the out-put into a completely different language?

Naturally - this one's a toughy as it's not merely a case of the characters themselves being completely different, yet also the fact that everything is being read right to left.

Have also looked into this software: http://www.devalipi.com/pages/moreinfoag.html

Yet all these factors appear to be application based, rather than System wide.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

ClockWork

Kuma
30th July 2006, 06:19 AM
well for system wide changes
you can just go to the intl panel in sys pref. and choose the language you want.

arabic is there... farsi is not listed
I dont know if you can d/l it from somewhere...
but switching languages is a piece o' cake

I just had a better look at the language options...
well you need to be able to recognise it... there is a whole bunch of non latin alphabet systems listed.. I can only recognise hebrew, cryllic, greek, korean, chinese and japanese.. maybe thai too...

but the arabic/farsi option doesn't leap out at me.. (too many too similar)

Currawong
30th July 2006, 08:57 AM
It also requires that each application have farsi (or Arabic) built in for the to show up in the language.

ClockWork
30th July 2006, 12:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Currawong &#064; Jul 30 2006, 08&#58;57 AM) 199590</div>

It also requires that each application have farsi (or Arabic) built in for the to show up in the language.
[/b]

So... do you mean that every app would need to be a Persian version of that app?

cw

Currawong
30th July 2006, 01:03 PM
Yes. To see for yourself, right-click (or control-click) on an Apple application, select "Show Package Contents" and inside Contents -> Resources you&#39;ll see a bunch of .lproj folders, one for each language the app has been translated into.

Kuma
30th July 2006, 01:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Currawong &#064; Jul 30 2006, 02&#58;03 PM) 199654</div>

Yes. To see for yourself, right-click (or control-click) on an Apple application, select "Show Package Contents" and inside Contents -> Resources you&#39;ll see a bunch of .lproj folders, one for each language the app has been translated into.
[/b]

Currawong
am I right in thinking that it is not every app. as many apps use their menu from the apple system.

well at least all apps which come with your mac (and iworks) use the system pref. setting for languages...
just seeking clarification on that...

tintinaujapon
30th July 2006, 03:09 PM
In the International Preference pane, Languages tab, click the Edit button and you will see the full range of languages available. The list on the left is just the most commonly used ones.

By comparing with Wiki&#39;s information, you can see that one of the Arabic scripts is Farsi. See screenshot.

http://tinyurl.com/fuelt

ClockWork
30th July 2006, 10:07 PM
Tintinaujapon,

hmmm - I see...

It&#39;s a bitch of a job the more I think of it. He can&#39;t read or speak english very well.
I can&#39;t speak Farsi at all. He can&#39;t setup an Apple computer.

Even with a translator between us...

And to begin - everything starts with: Select your language:

and as Tintinaujapon&#39;s image shows, the characters for Farsi look like a dozen
other which are not Farsi...

This Persian fellow wants to do FCP, graphics, the lot&#33; (in Farsi&#33;)

[tears out hair]

thanks peoples,

ClockWork

Currawong
31st July 2006, 08:58 AM
Kuma, I haven&#39;t tried switching to a language then launching an app that doesn&#39;t have a translation for that language to see to find out for sure. I&#39;d guess though that all menu&#39;s except the Apple menu are application-specific.

tintinaujapon
31st July 2006, 09:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 30 2006, 08&#58;07 PM) 199803</div>

and as Tintinaujapon&#39;s image shows, the characters for Farsi look like a dozen
other which are not Farsi...

[tears out hair]
[/b]

[Small voice] I think Farsi&#39;s squiggles are quite distinct....

superecologist
31st July 2006, 11:36 AM
Farsi and Arabic are unrelated, except geographically&#33; Farsi is more or less interchangeable with Tajik and Urdu (Pakistan, N India, Uzbekistan etc.), and Arabic is middle eastern/semitic ... but I digress.

I run my PB15" in both English and Portuguese (Brazilian flavour) at various times, and have no problems with most apps - you can download a multilingual version of Camino for example - all Apple apps and MS Office all speak Portuguese too.

:-)

ClockWork
31st July 2006, 11:52 AM
Superecologist,

Yes... I did pick up on that factor during a... quasi-comprehensible conversation
with this fellow. Farsi in not Arabic... yet it definitely looks like it... from an uneducated
view, and one (I&#39;m not certain about this) - one can&#39;t switch the language to Arabic
and then choose Farsi... because apparently... it won&#39;t be there... because it&#39;s not Arabic&#33;

This fellow speaks and reads in Farsi, yet he makes regular trips to Iran, and that is why
all this is so... confusing.

I think I&#39;ll need to find myself a linguist.

cheers guys,

ClockWork

PS: Also - as he is in Australia for 6 months and then elsewhere for 6 months, does anyone
know of a true Pay-As-You-Go ADSL service, with an Upload speed of 256k? He wants to use
video conferencing, and from past experiences - it works best on 256k Upload. Ta.

sdien
31st July 2006, 01:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 31 2006, 11&#58;52 AM) 199895</div>

... Farsi in not Arabic... yet it definitely looks like it... from an uneducated
view, and one (I&#39;m not certain about this) - one can&#39;t switch the language to Arabic
and then choose Farsi... because apparently... it won&#39;t be there... because it&#39;s not Arabic&#33;

PS: Also - as he is in Australia for 6 months and then elsewhere for 6 months, does anyone
know of a true Pay-As-You-Go ADSL service, with an Upload speed of 256k? He wants to use
video conferencing, and from past experiences - it works best on 256k Upload. Ta.
[/b]

clockwork,

farsi is definately not arabic, but it uses arabic character in terms of writting, as there are several other languages that i can recall: urdhu, ancient malay...

sorry can&#39;t help with the settings but i can suggest about the internet part..
check internode wireless (by unwired) (http://www.internode.on.net/unwired/plans/) which i am forced to use due to the same situation

cheers

tintinaujapon
31st July 2006, 01:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 31 2006, 09&#58;52 AM) 199895</div>

This fellow speaks and reads in Farsi, yet he makes regular trips to Iran, and that is why
all this is so... confusing.
[/b]

The language of Iran is Farsi I believe. It uses an Arabic script without being Arabic. Just like Turkish is an Arabic language but uses roman script. The poor Kurds have one language and four or five scripts according to which country they&#39;re in.

I feel for you CW. Sorting out these language issues can be a real pain. Moreso when every OS update tends to reset all your switching shortcuts etc.