PDA

View Full Version : How to install Windows XP on to an External USB HDD?

applecollector
28th July 2006, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I would like to know how to install windows XP on to an external HDD i have bootcamp running on my mac mini so i would like to do it from that or Virtual PC maybe?
Anyways i would just like to know how i can do this becuase the XP Install fails all the time on the laptop that i recently got and i want to install XP on another machine and then just plot the HDD in and hope for the best.
If you know ANYTHING please message!
Thankyou

jeremy_warnock
28th July 2006, 04:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(applecollector &#064; Jul 28 2006, 04&#58;35 PM) 199217</div>

Hello,

I would like to know how to install windows XP on to an external HDD i have bootcamp running on my mac mini so i would like to do it from that or Virtual PC maybe?
Anyways i would just like to know how i can do this becuase the XP Install fails all the time on the laptop that i recently got and i want to install XP on another machine and then just plot the HDD in and hope for the best.
If you know ANYTHING please message&#33;
Thankyou
[/b]

You cant - xp starts and stops the usb drives during boot up, so it would effectivly kill itself. There are some hacks around but they are quite complex and I have not heard of anyone having real success

applecollector
28th July 2006, 04:42 PM
S*IT i was really hopeing i could get this machine up and running.
I keep getting these werid errors and i&#39;ve tried so many install disks.
dang :-(

geektechnu
28th July 2006, 04:47 PM
It&#39;s definitely possible:
http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1015

You will need to reserve a small amount of space as the XP boot partition - XP actually installs to the external USB disk, but needs a small data partition to get it through bootup. You can use this internal partition as a data sharing drive too if you wish.

First of all, you need to get the standard install process working first.
What errors are you getting?

applecollector
28th July 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that URL.
To get this working it&#39;s gonna take me ages&#33;
I keep getting these files error while doing the install example
I could be doing the XP Install then like 5 mins to the install i get this thing that comes up and says "this file cannot be installed press esc to skip file note this may prevent windows from booting" if i keep pressing escape i eventually get a blue screen.
and thats as far as i can get.

cgollner
28th July 2006, 05:04 PM
The "this file can not be copied" error can be a number of things but the ones I have encountered the most are corrupt install media and crappy memory thats causing them to be corrupted during the copy/decompress.

applecollector
28th July 2006, 05:09 PM
I have 256Mb Ram inside