PDA

View Full Version : 12" powerbook: bag or sleeve?

paulhek
27th July 2006, 10:08 PM
hi all,
I just got myself a 12" powerbook through ebay (great little computer). I am now in the market for something to protect it and carry it around. What do you guys use and advise? I am in doubt about the sleeves or bags. I thought a sleeve would be good so I can just put it in my backpack, but maybe they are unhandy, since it does not fit anything else? And where do they have a wide choice in bags or sleeves? I did not see much at the australian apple resellers online.

cheers,
Paul

vargz
27th July 2006, 11:11 PM
For my 12" PB. I use a Bitolithic protection kit comprising of zipper sleeve, screen protector and gear pouch. I believe Bitolithic runs out of Melbourne, by a top-bloke by the name of Emiliano. Unfortunately his protection kits have been so popular that he has since run out of material hence cannot produce kits for the time being. Though I'd say its worth enquiring about and finding out when you can get one. I'll certainly be buying one again for my next Apple notebook.

http://www.bitolithic.com/bags/index.htm

iva
27th July 2006, 11:45 PM
I use a STM glove when I carry it in a tote or a backpack. It even fits it in larger handbags. This is good when I have to carry a lot of other stuff with me. When I travel by air I put it in the glove and throw it in my onboard bag. Often airport security won't make you take it out of the glove when you put it through the x-ray machine which is great.

If I'm only carrying the laptop and maybe a wallet, I use an STM baby brink. Nice and compact. Learned over the years that if I buy a massive laptop bag I never end up using it.

And I love my 12 inch powerbook too :) Much envy and awe when it gets pulled out in public. No one can believe I can fit it into a handbag.

djjeffree
28th July 2006, 12:41 AM
I definately recommend using a sleeve. With all the travel I have done it has definately saved the casing of my laptop. Try to find one with memory foam as opposed to neoprene since the memory foam tends to give better protection.

J.

macmelly
28th July 2006, 09:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iva &#064; Jul 27 2006, 11&#58;45 PM) 199072</div>

And I love my 12 inch powerbook too :) Much envy and awe when it gets pulled out in public. No one can believe I can fit it into a handbag.
[/b]

Hehe...must admit I agree with you there. My 12" ibook fits beautifully into 2 of my handbags with room left over for all the other junk I have in there. I swear I&#39;m like mary poppins.

Back to you Paul, I use an STM sleeve which is great.

peajay
28th July 2006, 10:18 AM
STM Sleeve here too

bartron
28th July 2006, 11:10 AM
I had my 12" in a STM laptop bag before I sold it....My new 15" MBP has it&#39;s own STM bag now as well. I like bags as you can fit other stuff in there as well...and normally if I&#39;m going somewhere with my laptop I need to take the stuff with it (charger, battery, mouse, pens, pads etc) as I&#39;m certain to need it at some stage.

Bartron

something2sea
28th July 2006, 01:57 PM
STM sleeve for me aswell (happy little 867MHz 12" PB)