PDA

View Full Version : Group mailouts in Mail.app

Mikey
27th July 2006, 06:16 PM
I often need to send a mail out to 20 or 30 people, using Mail, but I get an error message 'server not available' or wrong POP address or something. If I send the same message to only 4 or 5 recipients at a time, I have no problems. Does anyone know what the problem is? It is enormously frustrating.

ClockWork
27th July 2006, 07:26 PM
hi,

I've seen this prob crop up in several email apps - not just Mail. It appears to happen when some (or even just one) e-mail address, is in someway incorrect - ie: one is addressed to: mrsoandso@bigpond.com.au
- when in fact it should read: mrsoandso@bigpond.com - minus the .au.

Worth checking that each email address is correct. Certain emailers will refuse to mass-mail if even one address is incorrect.

So... suggestion is to try two things:

1. Try mass-mailing again and this time, note down the exact error it comes up with. You can do this by taking a screen snap-shot by hitting keys: :cmd: + shift + #
You'll hear a camera click the your screen will appear as a Picture on your Desktop.

2. Check each address of the 20 or 30 people you're mass-mailing very carefully. This may not be the problem, naturally, which is why it's worthwhile getting Mail's exact error message.

Try 1. first and post error message back here.

cheers,

cw

vid
27th July 2006, 08:07 PM
I use Entourage and had a similar problem when send to many in a "Group" I ended up breaking the groups in 2 having Customer Type1A and Customer Type1B this was with about 200 addresses though, you could also use something like iMailist (available at http://imailist.sourceforge.net) for sending bulk emails of a webpage.

ClockWork
27th July 2006, 09:15 PM
yeah Vid,

I've noticed that in Entourage also - but you can get around it in Entourage's Preferences by unticking Automatically check names when sending messages - under Compose - yet Mail doesn't have such... finely honed Preferences.

cw

Currawong
27th July 2006, 11:53 PM
There's also a thread on bulk email software (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=23748) that you might find handy.

mac_man_luke
27th July 2006, 11:59 PM
Most likely an isp limit

use a bulk mailing system that sends them individually, even then you might be limited to a certain number per hour

if so you might need to consider setting up a mail server