PDA

View Full Version : i stuffed my iPod up help me

Honey
13th November 2004, 01:43 PM
Hey, our computer stuffed up big time so my brother somehow fixed it, deleting everything including iTunes, so i installed again....and put my iPod on da computer, NOW MY MUSIC IS GGGONE!!!!!!
can i get it back?

i know it doesnt sound like much (600 songz) but its all my songz.. and now my iPod is totally useless :unsure:

Disko
13th November 2004, 01:54 PM
did your brother have to erase the hard drive? It seems that your ipod might have 'auto synced' with an empty itunes, which made it empty itself...

Honey
13th November 2004, 01:59 PM
yes everything from da computer...so i put all my files on...and it just deleted everything...itself...ArGH!!...pissing me off...
and not all my music is off cds

OziMac
13th November 2004, 02:16 PM
Sorry Honey, unless you backup your files every so often, you are up the proverbial tree as far as your files go. At least you've learnt a valuable lesson :) Perhaps you should consider getting a Mac?

And I don't think your iPod is useless - I'd just hop on the computer and start ripping your CDs again post haste.

Honey
13th November 2004, 02:21 PM
yeh, i'd like to get a mac iBook but i blowed my money on my iPod, i've decided to get a job to earn money, and save as much as possible...

damian(brother) has an iPod can i copy his music to mine? because my music is on his too, eg: jimmy eat world, yellowcard, blink, anew found glory etc etc)

adamjc
13th November 2004, 02:25 PM
Is there a way to turn the auto-sync off?

....Awaiting my own iPod and dont wont to make the same mistake.\

-Adam

Honey
13th November 2004, 02:26 PM
what does auto-sync mean

adamjc
13th November 2004, 02:31 PM
Automatically updates your iPod to whats in your iTunes library (and vica-versa)

Honey
13th November 2004, 02:38 PM
oh, well i didnt have any music in my library from iTunes,

can i put my brother's iPod on the computer, copy his music files from his, to mine?

iambob
13th November 2004, 02:40 PM
info here about how to copy the music from your brothers ipod to the computer http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=5090_0_8_0_C

info here about sync'ing and how to turn it off http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=5029_0_8_0_M

adamjc
13th November 2004, 02:40 PM
Before you do, wait for someone to tell you how to turn the Auto-Sync off. I dont have an iPod yet (ordered though) so i dont know how to do this.

It might be within iTunes or the iPod that you have to turn it off.

Otherwise you could lose all the music on your brothers iPod as well.

Adam.

***EDIT***

Thanks iambob.

We posted at the same time. :D

scruffie
13th November 2004, 03:12 PM
I think you can go through itunes. Go through Itunes' pref box to manually manage songs and playlists.

The only problem is that you are only able to select this option when you connect your ipod. Methinks its probable that your bro would lose the songs before he is able to change the option.

adamjc
13th November 2004, 03:17 PM
What about if he plugs, his iPod with no songs on it first, changes the option. Then plugs in his brothers iPod.

Could this be a possibility?

-Adam.

scruffie
13th November 2004, 03:32 PM
hmm - that i dunno. :(

i have a feeling that because the preference panel is only active when the ipod connected, it could be the setting for each individual ipod. he could be totally screwed. but then again - i dont have two ipods to try it out...

adamjc
13th November 2004, 03:39 PM
Looked at Apple.com.au for yah Honey.

"Remember, even in manual mode you will not be able to copy music from your iPod back to iTunes." Click Here for Link (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/t3.html)

So i am out of suggestions for you. Sorry. :o

-Adam.

Honey
13th November 2004, 04:35 PM
oh damn!! ill work it out this weekend to try and get my music back on it...TRY...

mjankor
13th November 2004, 05:03 PM
Apple says you can't download songs from the iPod but it's actually very easy. The songs are just inside a hidden folder. If you can access the iPod under Windows as a hard drive then just show all files and you should be able to see them. (I think, I use terminal on the Mac to access mine)

Honey
13th November 2004, 06:31 PM
oh, i dont have a mac, do u just look under my computer or something? i think mines a dell windows xp,

CarbonRods
13th November 2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by mjankor@Nov 13 2004, 05:03 PM
Apple says you can't download songs from the iPod but it's actually very easy. The songs are just inside a hidden folder. If you can access the iPod under Windows as a hard drive then just show all files and you should be able to see them. (I think, I use terminal on the Mac to access mine)
You can easily access the hidden folders on your iPod with a mac -- you just need Disko's script to turn this feature on.

zefi
14th November 2004, 12:33 AM
Nice script Disko, saved to my iPod.

Cheers! :)

the_OM
14th November 2004, 08:09 AM
Honey,
Try these programs to get your brothers music from his ipod to the computer.
They are for windows, so i haven't tested or used them, but they're worth a shot:

Music Liberator 2.7
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/33174

iPod Access for Windows
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/33184

iPod -> Folder 1.2
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/35148

Good Luck

CarbonRods
14th November 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Nov 14 2004, 08:09 AM
Honey,
Try these programs to get your brothers music from his ipod to the computer.
They are for windows, so i haven't tested or used them, but they're worth a shot:

Music Liberator 2.7
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/33174

iPod Access for Windows
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/33184

iPod -> Folder 1.2
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/35148

Good Luck

As mjankor has already mentioned, you don't need any special software to access your music files on your iPod with windows. You just plug your iPod into a USB port and the iPod will appear as an extra drive in windows explorer.

Just navigate to the music directories on the iPod and grab the files.

You may need to enable 'show hidden files' in windows explorer so that you can see the music directories.

Steve

frenchtoast
14th November 2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Honey@Nov 13 2004, 01:59 PM

and not all my music is off cds

So if its "your" music but its not off "your" cds where did it come from...

I&#39;m sorry but i can&#39;t feel sorry for someone losing music they don&#39;t actually own. <_<

tap
14th November 2004, 11:03 PM
I used iPod Agent (http://www.ipodsoft.com/) on the weekend to back up my iPod. It&#39;s a real pain that I cannot easily update my music collection now that I&#39;m on &#39;holidays&#39; in QLD. It&#39;s been nearly 2 months since I&#39;ve put a new cd on there. But the real pain when was when I managed to erase my iPod when I first connected it to my aunt&#39;s PC. I could have sworn I clicked the &#39;No I don&#39;t want to erase my iPod&#39; button. This coupled with the iPod crashing every week or two makes me wonder how the iPod is the leader of the pack. The others must really suck ;)
I can&#39;t wait to get my 20" iMac so I get some stability in my life again.
BTW, have people noticed the delivery times shortening for iMacs yet? I ordered it last week.

PS Dial-up sucks

adamjc
15th November 2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by frenchtoast@Nov 14 2004, 11:12 PM
So if its "your" music but its not off "your" cds where did it come from...

I&#39;m sorry but i can&#39;t feel sorry for someone losing music they don&#39;t actually own. <_<
100% with you frenchtoast&#33;

No sympathy what so ever. If you aint good enough to buy the music, then you aint good enough to own an iPod.

-Adam.

Cam
15th November 2004, 09:17 AM
From memory AutoSync doesnt clear the data. You can still access it in the hidden directory.

thomas
15th November 2004, 01:17 PM
The iPod options are specific to a particular iPod, thats why you can only access them when an iPod is mounted. eg - setting one iPod to auto sync won&#39;t affect another iPod plugged into the same computer with Manual update enabled. If you are going to use your iPod with more than one computer its best to have manual enabled, else your iPod experence will be confusing and annoying.

Auto syncing is good because it syncs all your play counts and ratings (in addtionto everything else) between both iPod and iTunes. The only downfall is the intial subject of this thread.

the_OM
15th November 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@Nov 15 2004, 07:42 AM
100% with you frenchtoast&#33;

No sympathy what so ever. If you aint good enough to buy the music, then you aint good enough to own an iPod.

-Adam.
Well then i guess there&#39;s 4 million odd people out there who ain&#39;t good enough to own ipods according to you.

adamjc
15th November 2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Nov 15 2004, 02:48 PM
Well then i guess there&#39;s 4 million odd people out there who ain&#39;t good enough to own ipods according to you.
Well if that is the case...so be it.

Just remember one thing before you make smart arse comments. If everyone downloads music off the net, &#39;free of charge&#39; then sooner then later there will be no music to download&#33;

In the words of Apple: "Dont Steal Music".

-Adam.

the_OM
15th November 2004, 02:37 PM
If everyone downloads music free of charge then explain to me how exactly there&#39;ll be no music? Musicians will just stop will they?

I think you assumed that its cd sales that make up a bulk of a artists income, well that is completely wrong. Artists get quite little from sales. The majority of their income comes from performances and live shows, its the major record companies who suffer, not the people who make music. Therefore the bands will still march on.

Granted downloading is not cool, and people should pay for music even if the money does mostly got to record companies, but your stupid post on how you have to all of sudden be good enough to own an ipod required a smart arse comment.

And by the way, anyone should be good enough to own an ipod, that way, apple gets paid and keeps on bring out even cooler devices, faster computers, and a better os, and windows users might actually stop generalising and labeling us arrogant based on the comments of a few.

adamjc
15th November 2004, 02:38 PM
No Comment.

eni
15th November 2004, 02:47 PM
I certainly don&#39;t support piracy, but would like to say a few things.

Firstly, please don&#39;t anyone think that apple is on the moral high-ground here because of a &#39;dont steal music&#39; piece of cardboard. Apple&#39;s entire iPod &#39;empire&#39; is built on piracy, they know it and so does everyone else. If they truly wanted to stop it the iPod would only play protected formats and ripped cds would only associate with one PC/Mac (sound familiar?).

Secondly if everyone did download music which killed off the &#39;industry&#39; then maybe we&#39;d finally get more indie raw music instead of mass-produced crap. Personally I don&#39;t have the slightest problem with someone downloading the latest britney spears &#39;wonder&#39;, but not supporting real artists is a crime. (That isn&#39;t to say there aren&#39;t some amazing signed artists as well, and of course they should be supported just the same. I&#39;m sure you can see the distinction I&#39;m making here even if you don&#39;t agree with it.)

A last point I&#39;m not sure if I should make (as it&#39;ll weaken the credibility of the above by slipping into pedantic comments) but for anyone in Australia, wasn&#39;t there a discussion here saying that by Australian law we don&#39;t even have the right to rip our own CDs? Then, isn&#39;t every iPod owner here engaging in piracy? As piracy is a law-of-the-land type concept you can&#39;t pick and choose which laws to follow just because you think they&#39;re stupid (and wow are they stupid).

I&#39;d like to close by saying again I don&#39;t condone piracy and ripping off artists. Sometimes however I find flaws in arguments too tempting to leave alone and also often you can present the strongest case by putting forth both the strengths and deficiencies of something, leaving your opponents with nothing to use against you and showing how the strengths clearly outweigh those deficiencies.