PDA

View Full Version : Best Apple service centre in Sydney?

matt
13th November 2004, 01:47 AM
I've broken a screwdriver and maybe stripped two screw heads while failing to install more RAM in my 15" G4 Powerbook. What would be the best tech store to take it to? I'm in Miranda so I was thinking either the Hurstville or Glebe stores, or maybe the Chatswood one if I can make time to head up that way.

iluvmymactoo
13th November 2004, 07:06 AM
The Glebe (actually called AppleCentre Broadway) are a bunch of arrogant twots IMO. When I have dealt with them they show little interest, no patience and a limited amount of knowledge.

I recommend Apple Centre Darlinghurst. They are always very friendly, offer the right advice (for free) and get on with the job as soon as they can.

pipsqeek
14th November 2004, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately I would have to say the same about the Hurstville shop.

Read my sig - click on the Saga. That will give you a taste of what you'll get if you go there.

pipsqeek

iluvmymactoo
14th November 2004, 08:09 PM
Wow and I thought I had problems....

I got to say one thing though if you had of posted that on the Apple forum it would have been deleted and you would have been emailed a non-replyable email warning never to post such a topic again.

pipsqeek
14th November 2004, 10:52 PM
pipsqeek joins the Apple forums

pipsqeek

Febs
14th November 2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 14 2004, 11:50 AM
That will give you a taste of what you'll get if you go there.
To be fair though, the service department has completely changed since.

symean
15th November 2004, 07:54 AM
The newer store in Chatswood ( 2 years old now) got the best Apple Reseller of the year award recently...called Maccentric. They might be your best bet. Have to agree about Broadway, no good. Trust me, IUTWT...

scruffie
15th November 2004, 08:31 AM
I have had consistently bad service with Chatswood. Last time I was there I was waiting while they were blabbering on whether some staff member's adsl connection was PPPoA or PPPoE... Then they noticed i was waiting and shot me a 'what the hell do you want / how dare you disrupt my inner peace' kinda look :(

Aint there a place in castle hill? AFAIK they are a service centre too...

Currawong
15th November 2004, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't be worried about the counter customer service, I'd be worried about what happens when my machine is out of my view. In such cases, I'd pick a service tech I know personally (if such a thing is possible) to do the job, regardless of where he works. Then I know things will be done properly.

pipsqeek
15th November 2004, 09:26 AM
But then again Currawong. I "Knew" my Service techie on somewhat of a personal level.

pipsqeek

iluvmymactoo
15th November 2004, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah I know the Chatswood one. I went there a while back when I first bought an iPod and they were quite put out that I interrupted their conversation.

When I was finally able to get their attention (drag them away from their conversation concerning some previous customer's hair do) they seemed disinterested to sell me one.

Same mean attitude as Broadway.

skibunny
31st October 2005, 06:24 PM
I am lucky enough to be suffering from a failing hard drive and need to take my pb somewhere to get fixed. :(

Does anyone know if the Balmain or Broadway centres are any good? I note that Broadway doesn't have a good reputation here.

Otherwise which would you recomend? Preferably near the city somewhere...

Thanks.

xfodder
31st October 2005, 06:34 PM
my uncle goes to the apple centre in the city

66 Clarence Street

Phone: 02 9367 8585

i found it hard to find the first time i went looking for it, but here is a map that shows where it is

http://www.whereis.com:80/whereis/mapping/...dex=4&brandId=1 (http://www.whereis.com:80/whereis/mapping/zoomOut.do?mapIndex=4&brandId=1)

my uncle seems too think its a top shop, and he has been using Mac's for years.

Oh and for a list of Centre I've had bad experiences at are :

Chatswood (they didn't even acknowledge the fact i was in the store for the whole 20 minutes i was there)

Burwood - Failed to mention that they don't give refunds when i bought a product, then i tried to return it and they took it for 'testing', went back 3 days later and they couldn't find the thing !

Hurstville - They have no idea what a PHONE is ! terrible 'customer service' and dodgy repairmen, took my imac for fixing, got it back, they hadnt fixed the problem and they had dented the plastic casing and the metal stand.

Rayd
31st October 2005, 06:57 PM
Hurstville - They have no idea what a PHONE is ! terrible 'customer service' and dodgy repairmen, took my imac for fixing, got it back, they hadnt fixed the problem and they had dented the plastic casing and the metal stand.

wow, when was that? i really dont think that they would do that ? IMO i think that the service at applecentre hurstville is really good. i know them and im sure Febs will tell you also, (he works there also) that they are quiet reliable. but you can make your own decision.

and if the heads of the screws arnt too blunt, im sure our service guys can do it for you :) and if you want, i'd be happy to do it myself (on a saturday) :D (apple centre hurstville)

purana
31st October 2005, 07:05 PM
Chatswood aint bad, although I seem to have no problems with them as I know most of the people on first name terms and they know me.

Although it helps that myself and a few other people I work with use them all the time (so this helps things). They pretty much do about 3-4 of us for salary sac's every year :)

xfodder
31st October 2005, 07:23 PM
it was this year.....i know hurstville has gone through some ownership changes over the past year, but they still aren't professional enough, well apple australia is screwed as-well, apple makes great products, but their quality control isn't good enough and their customer service is even worse.

i think apple australia needs to have monthly checkup's on all apple center's to make sure they are doing things right and not shifty.

Oh and the one of the most important things to remember when running a business..
One Unhappy customer tells one person who then tells another, then another......

Galumay
31st October 2005, 07:28 PM
well i avoid the apple centres, but i have found Frequency Communications fantastic for everything apple, i am sure if you asked them nicely they would help you out!

enigmatic
5th November 2005, 04:20 PM
I've had my Powerbook repaired by Chatswood twice and I've been reasonably happy with the service.

They didn't like the fact that I told that what was wrong and what needed replacing but they still gave fast and efficient service.

Things may have changed as people move on and I know they opened another store at Warringah.

Wheels
5th November 2005, 04:38 PM
My experience with MacCentric at Chatswood was terrible! Extremely poor customer service and I was completely ignored. I also stood at the counter for 10 minutes with no reponse. I would never go there again because it has happened quite a few times. Very nice people at the Apple Shop at Pymble though.

timace
5th November 2005, 05:16 PM
Haven't dealt with an AppleCentre in Sydney for support, only in Sales.
Broadway = meh
Pymble was much better. If I still lived up there, I'd still be going to them.

Only dealt with AppleCentre/Mac1 Wollongong for support, and I must say, it's a bit better than it used to be.
I had a seriously problematic iMac 333 (froze for 10 seconds every so often, had CD-ROM woes)... Never did get resolved. Ended up getting rid of that machine anyhow, heh.
They just took their sweet time getting a replacement keyboard (mightn't have been their fault though) for my 12" iBook.

If I need support up here again, I will go back to Pymble.

Wheels
5th November 2005, 06:04 PM
Stores really do need to treat their customers in a good way to keep business! With websites like these, if a customer has a bad experience then all other Apple lovers find out about it and stores can very quickly lose cred! Some stores really do need to improve their customer service and make sure they always treat them well!

pipsqeek
6th November 2005, 01:01 AM
I know for a fact that the store I dealt with has lost a good 100 or so customers that I use to refer to them.

Digging up an old reply, Febs. I don't see how you could say that things have changed in the Service dept since then. When your reply was dated around the time of the iBook Saga.

If that's what it changed to. I'm glad I haven't returned.

Truth is, I send all my stuff (when it goes faulty) to Macmate, who frequents our Appletalk IRC channel, #apple.

I know my machine will be in extremely good hands, and I'll hear the story proper. Not some lame arse excuse, lies, and false answers that just piss me off. (example: Apple have told us nothing, I just spoke to them. Oh, really, lets call them now and see what they say. Hmm, they say that the stuff was shipped, and someone here signed for it. Now where is my stuff I've paid for?

pipsqeek

Rayd
6th November 2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 6 2005, 02:01 AM
I know for a fact that the store I dealt with has lost a good 100 or so customers that I use to refer to them.

Digging up an old reply, Febs. I don't see how you could say that things have changed in the Service dept since then. When your reply was dated around the time of the iBook Saga.

If that's what it changed to. I'm glad I haven't returned.

Truth is, I send all my stuff (when it goes faulty) to Macmate, who frequents our Appletalk IRC channel, #apple.

I know my machine will be in extremely good hands, and I'll hear the story proper. Not some lame arse excuse, lies, and false answers that just piss me off. (example: Apple have told us nothing, I just spoke to them. Oh, really, lets call them now and see what they say. Hmm, they say that the stuff was shipped, and someone here signed for it. Now where is my stuff I've paid for?

pipsqeek
i'll reply to that, :) the service department has NOW completely changed as of around a month or 2 ago. so now all is good at applecentre hurstville :D maybe you could give it one last try aye pip :)

Febs
6th November 2005, 01:38 AM
As ipod_man said...the service department has changed again.
pip - I don't know the full details of your story, but I think you were dealing with Pete if I'm not mistaken? There's been two major changes to the department since his departure.

..and the many, many happy customers we have certainly let us know (see Macworld, for example). So we must be doing something right. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.