PDA

View Full Version : A3 colour printers

darrenk
13th November 2004, 12:43 AM
In the market for a new A3 colour printer for the office - so far we have been using a Ricoh CL7000 but the accounting software (where you can tally up the number of prints per user) doesn't work with Mac OS X.

We do around 30-50 colour printouts per day, and also need it to act as the main office photocopier/printer for black and white documents so an inkjet isn't economical for our needs.

Does anyone have a recommended brand/model that we should have a look at?

snax
13th November 2004, 04:25 AM
i'm not sure, but *choose carefully*. you don't want to be stuck with an expensive office annoyance.
the hp 8550 does alright being the only printer in the design department at my uni, but i know nothing about any other models.

decryption
13th November 2004, 07:04 AM
Get an Epson.
I know with their scanners, they have the best OS X support :)

warren21
13th November 2004, 07:31 AM
I think you should go for a canon. All canons are built for macs.

hawker
13th November 2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by warren21@Nov 13 2004, 07:31 AM
All canons are built for macs.
Where did you hear that?

Epson and Canon have alot of support for OS X. And I have not complaints about Lexmark... Stay away from HP......... You have been warned.

macmate
13th November 2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Nov 13 2004, 08:49 AM
Where did you hear that?

Epson and Canon have alot of support for OS X. And I have not complaints about Lexmark... Stay away from HP......... You have been warned.
i sell all and i say epson.

unless you get a Xerox

Phillip
13th November 2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Nov 13 2004, 09:49 AM
Where did you hear that?

Why Not HP? :blink:

I am just about to buy a HP Laser :unsure:

hawker
13th November 2004, 02:41 PM
I have taken countless HP printers and computers back in for servicing, and it is annoying for business people.

The most annyoing one I had, was we had a HP laptop that a General Manager of a major Darwin Business used and it has been playing up since we got it. We reinstalled Windows, reloaded software, tested the memory and hard drive, tested the system board and still something was wrong, just before the warranty expired we took it in.

Memory and system board were faulty, and why couldn't we work this out? because HP have their own specails tests that apprently only work. Its nice of them to tell us so we can help fix PCz....

macmate
13th November 2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Phillip@Nov 13 2004, 01:06 PM
Why Not HP? :blink:

I am just about to buy a HP Laser :unsure:
HP stands for Heapsa Problems.

adamjc
13th November 2004, 02:49 PM
What is the best brand printer for everyday use with Mac Support.

I need to get one but currently run Windows but upgrading to Mac end of this year.

Thanks,

Adam.

macmate
13th November 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@Nov 13 2004, 02:49 PM
What is the best brand printer for everyday use with Mac Support.

I need to get one but currently run Windows but upgrading to Mac end of this year.

Thanks,

Adam.
what will you print? what size you need?

zen
13th November 2004, 03:55 PM
I have an old school Epson Stylus Photo 1280 (A3 Inkjet) and can't say there's ever anything majorly wrong with them since the day we got it (almost 4 years now come to think of it :o)

A3 Inkjets are certainly not a cheap machine to mantain in general and genuin inks arnt exacly that affordable either. But if your up for quality and reliability go with the bigger brands and never stinge to buy aftermarket or refill your catridges.

I too recommend Epson or Canon. Stay away from everything else... B)

Currawong
13th November 2004, 06:44 PM
Zen, he can't run an inkjet, it has to be a full-on office printer :)

trotkiller
13th November 2004, 09:02 PM
At work we use a fuji xerox phaser, bit pricey, but amazing quality printing on plain paper

check this one out Phaser 7750 (http://www.fujixerox.com.au/products/office_product.jsp?features=a3&id=283). It has a 715MHz G4 PowerPC processor and up to 1 GB RAM... :D

also look at the phaser 7300

darrenk
15th November 2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys - yeah, I need to get an office printer so inkjets are out of the question. From the advice given here I'll look at the Fuji Xerox range. Is Tektronix still around? They used to make a bunch of dye-sub printers but I never really got my head around them to see if they were cost effective in an office environment.

Alternatively, I might just get a cheapo black & white photocopier/printer and a good Epson/Canon A3 inkjet.

darrenk
15th November 2004, 12:42 AM
Ahh - looks like Tektronix was bought out/merged with Fuji Xerox. (I should have picked up on this earlier from trotkiller's post on the Phaser range)

I'll see if I can get some test prints from Xerox on the Phaser 7750 - I'm a bit worried about the potential cost per page though, considering a lot of our work is more like 85% full colour page coverage as opposed to the usual 5% page coverage figures companies usually quote!

darrenk
18th November 2004, 09:30 PM
Have done a bit of research and looks like we'll go for the Xerox Document Center C250 - the prints on plain paper are pretty good, and the overall price isn't all that bad. Plus I think it uses a G3 processor!

Document Center C250 (http://www.fujixerox.com.au/products/office_product.jsp?features=copy&id=296)