PDA

View Full Version : External HD for MacBook

macnewby
22nd July 2006, 04:31 PM
I am thinkning about getting an external HD for my MacBook. Main reason is that upgrading the 2.5" SATA drives is expensive and relatively low capacity. It will be for photo and music library, and I don't think I'll be needing my MB to be all that portable. Apple places seem to stock Lacie drives and I've read mixed reports on them. Are they ok and would anyone suggest anything else?

And I'm looking at the Lacie F.A. Porche 250 GB Firewire, or the Lacie d2 250 GB triple interface (USB2, firewire400, firewire800).

Or maybe the 250 or 300 GB Lacie Brick? anybody had any experience with these?

vampire
22nd July 2006, 07:07 PM
The cheapest way is to buy an external case and then buy a HD.

I've got a external laptop hd, I bought the case and hd seperatly and put it together.

I got the laptop size one becuase it is more portable. I currently use it with my pc and mac.

ClockWork
22nd July 2006, 07:48 PM
Vampire's idea is the most sensible and economic solution. However - having said that, I myself bought a LaCie d2 external Firewire - and one truly sees where one's buck sallies forth. Their good! Have also carried around 20 GB Pocket Drive LaCie for around the last 8 years and the poor little bastard's been knocked around endlessly in transit - now covered in dents and it still works as well as the day I brought it home from the hospital.

Have had numerous customers buy the LaCie Porche models (which are somewhat cheaper as you will have noticed) - and the feed-back I've received suggest they fuck up very quickly - within 2 months - and then getting them services or replaced becomes a "I'll never see it again" tradgedy.

I really like these - these (http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10511) - these (http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10128) - these (http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10447) - and would love one of these (http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10351) - if I had that moolarrr.

The Pocket LaCies (http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10722) are also brill, for portability and there simple rubber casings.

Yet from feed-back, there's something odd and untrustworthy about the Porche (http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=10384) LaCie Models. They're naturally cheaper as they don't have the Triple Interface of the LaCie d2, the LaCie Big Disk Extreme, the LaCie Bigger Disk Extreme - etc - and they look "suss" - not that's any excuse, by closley resembling a huge Lead Brick.

Personally, LaCie Triple Interface is very handy.

cheers,

ClockWork

:)

The Architect.mac
22nd July 2006, 08:12 PM
macnewby - buy yourself a Lacie d2 Extreme - Triple Interface in any size and you wont be disappointed...

vampire
22nd July 2006, 08:15 PM
Another Idea if you want multiple pcs to share the same HD, you can get a network case and plug it
into your router. That way anyone can access it, even wirelessly.

forgie
22nd July 2006, 08:16 PM
If you want cheap but trusty, I have had zero problems with the Vantec Nexstar 2/3 range. I have a Nexstar 2 3.5" Combo w/ a WD 320GB HDD in it. I also have a Nexstar 2.5" USB2 enclosure.

If I had more money, I'd probably shell out for something a bit nicer, but the Nexstars have never let me down. The 3.5" combo drive cost me about $80 from memory.

designers_hub
22nd July 2006, 08:28 PM
i suggest you just walk into your local cheap computer store, buy yourself a seagate (i prefer seagate) and buy a case, you will save hundreds!

a 250gig will cost around $140, with the case it will add up to be around $160-180, so your saving a good 200-300.

i find that Lacie are overprice.

WITH 2.5gig HD, they are not expensive if you buy them from your local computer store, ebay or even this forum, i've seen lots selling here. just buy the drive 80gigs should only set you back $100 or less, a case will cost just $5-10.

the backup drives they sell are seriously overpriced, i guess its because your paying for the backup software.

forgie
22nd July 2006, 08:34 PM
Adding to designers_hub's post, my 320GB Firewire+USB2 drive can be had for:

$144 for the 320GB WD HDD from MSY (they were $150 when I got mine, MSY always have the latest prices)
$63.95 for a Nexstar 3 Combo enclosure from A.I. Tech

Total: $207.95 for a 320G Firewire/USB2 drive.

BTW, staticICE (http://www.staticice.com.au) is your friend when searching for cheap components! :)

p53
22nd July 2006, 08:52 PM
most times it's cheaper to buy hard drive and case separately and put it together. but sometimes you can get a good deal and get a ready-made one cheaper.
check out msy.com.au - they have very good prices, very seldom do i find someone charging less.
i've got two Seagates here in generic cases - working well so far.

Squozen
22nd July 2006, 08:55 PM
I bought a LaCie. I have purchased several external cases and they've all sucked dog balls compared to the LaCie in build quality. The worst of them tend to have terrible controller chips also, whereas the LaCie models have Oxford controllers.

Naturally I didn't pay full retail price for the LaCie...

soulman
22nd July 2006, 09:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 22 2006, 07&#58;48 PM) 197489</div>
Have had numerous customers buy the LaCie Porche models (which are somewhat cheaper as you will have noticed) - and the feed-back I&#39;ve received suggest they fuck up very quickly - within 2 months - and then getting them services or replaced becomes a "I&#39;ll never see it again" tradgedy.[/b]I have 2 of these - a 2.5 & a 3.5 - and at least a couple of other people on ATAU have them also. No problems with mine and no other problems I&#39;m aware of.

vampire
22nd July 2006, 10:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Jul 22 2006, 08&#58;34 PM) 197502</div>

Adding to designers_hub&#39;s post, my 320GB Firewire+USB2 drive can be had for:

&#036;144 for the 320GB WD HDD from MSY (they were &#036;150 when I got mine, MSY always have the latest prices)
&#036;63.95 for a Nexstar 3 Combo enclosure from A.I. Tech

Total: &#036;207.95 for a 320G Firewire/USB2 drive.
BTW, staticICE (http://www.staticice.com.au) is your friend when searching for cheap components&#33; :)
[/b]

MSY is a great place to get your external hd, that&#39;s where I got mine

ClockWork
23rd July 2006, 04:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(soulman &#064; Jul 22 2006, 09&#58;05 PM) 197510</div>

I have 2 of these - a 2.5 & a 3.5 - and at least a couple of other people on ATAU have them also. No problems with mine and no other problems I&#39;m aware of.
[/b]
yeah - I know - but ya know how we love to generalize :)
my information simply comes back from my customer base. Those who bought the d2s - I don&#39;t hear any complaints from them - those that bought the Porsches - a never-ending stream of frustration and woeful tales over the phone - not all of them of course... but alot of them - lost somewhere between quality control and the one or the other choice of interface.

Vamp&#39;s idea is probably the most practical, if we weren&#39;t so effing lazy ;)

cheers,

CW

(what can I be certain of, anyway?)

macnewby
23rd July 2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks all.

I don&#39;t need a SATA external drive for my Macbook right? As long as the HD and the case are compatable it will all work?

nJm
24th July 2006, 12:06 PM
I&#39;ve got a WD 320gb drive in a FW400 enclosure I bought a while ago. Can&#39;t remember what brand but it looks a bit like a mini Powermac.

I&#39;ve seen a Maxtor 300gb USB2 drive advertised for &#036;229 in the green guide.

Pacman
24th July 2006, 12:20 PM
Have just bought a Maxtor 200Gb USB/Firewire external HDD. Plan to connect it to my Macbook pro for backup and also back up my win XP PC on it over a wireless network.
Fantasy? will let you know in a few days.

Have been told that it can be partitioned and the 2 partitions set up for mac and win separately&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Might turn out to be a big hard disk on the network which will be just fine&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Mctastic
24th July 2006, 12:42 PM
sold and been using the 2.5" FA Porsche Lacie. been through it all about 1.5 years old. like with any external drives i&#39;ve come across, only ever given problems when &#39;abused&#39;. filling the drive and running over an extended time will result in partition damage. this is when they crash. ok, the other way, . . pure negligence. that&#39;s the othr problem with the mini drive, ... it doesn&#39;t weigh much and is easily bumped, dropped. for my work i wouldn&#39;t work without my 2.5". . . of course for reliable backup, i depend on a full size 250Gb custom built box.
5.25" externals, ... i&#39;d only buy one brand, Seagate. they&#39;ve proven their dependability to me, over and over. don&#39;t allow anybody to sell u Western Dog stuff.....

jeremy_warnock
24th July 2006, 01:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pacman &#064; Jul 24 2006, 12&#58;20 PM) 197918</div>

Have just bought a Maxtor 200Gb USB/Firewire external HDD. Plan to connect it to my Macbook pro for backup and also back up my win XP PC on it over a wireless network.
Fantasy? will let you know in a few days.

Have been told that it can be partitioned and the 2 partitions set up for mac and win separately&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Might turn out to be a big hard disk on the network which will be just fine&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
[/b]

any drive can have upto 4 primary partitions - just remember if you want to read/write to the partiation that xp uses from your mac itll will need to be formatted as fat32 and no larger then 32Gigs - you cant write to ntfs from os x

Pacman
25th July 2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the tip Jeremy but why the restriction on the space? I have a 200 GB drive that I am hoping to partition into 80 and 120 Gb with the 120 for windows. Looks like I will not be able to do that??
Any help appreciated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeremy_warnock &#064; Jul 24 2006, 01&#58;06 PM) 197937</div>

any drive can have upto 4 primary partitions - just remember if you want to read/write to the partiation that xp uses from your mac itll will need to be formatted as fat32 and no larger then 32Gigs - you cant write to ntfs from os x
[/b]