PDA

View Full Version : iTunes not playing some CD's

cmjl
22nd July 2006, 01:25 PM
I have two CD's in my collection that iTunes summarily ejects without playing.

No error messages about bad disks or such, just insert, think, eject.

The CD's appear clean and scratch free although only one of the CD's has the "compact disc digital audio" logo on it, which makes me think that the other uses some non-standard encoding to provide copy or playback protection.

The disks work AOK in a cheapo CD player that I have, as well as my IBM Thinkpad laptop.

Any ideas or thoughts? Is iTunes and/or my iMac G5 just being fussy?

step_andy
22nd July 2006, 04:16 PM
Try making a disk image on HD and force iTunes to read from the image.
A.

yinyang
22nd July 2006, 04:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cmjl &#064; Jul 22 2006, 01&#58;25 PM) 197409</div>

I have two CD&#39;s in my collection that iTunes summarily ejects without playing.

No error messages about bad disks or such, just insert, think, eject.

The CD&#39;s appear clean and scratch free although only one of the CD&#39;s has the "compact disc digital audio" logo on it, which makes me think that the other uses some non-standard encoding to provide copy or playback protection.

The disks work AOK in a cheapo CD player that I have, as well as my IBM Thinkpad laptop.

Any ideas or thoughts? Is iTunes and/or my iMac G5 just being fussy?
[/b]

you&#39;ll probably notice that the discs have a D.A.T.A imprinted on the inner portion of the CD (clear bit), on either or both sides. they are apparently the company that does the pressing for a lot of CDs for Australian record companies, and something in the way they press the CDs causes issues with Apple hardware, usually Matsuhita optical drives. i&#39;ve found that some of my discs get spat out, whilst others don&#39;t, and to make it more baffling, with a two CD set (De La Soul), disc 1 was fine, but no-go with disc 2...wtf&#33;&#33;

if you make a disk copy via a normal wintel PC, and then try re-importing, it&#39;ll be fine. i&#39;m considering getting a cheapo external to get around this.

ClockWork
22nd July 2006, 07:08 PM
Not.... directly related... yet had same disk-spit experience when first trying to burn data to Dual Layer DVDs. They&#39;d mount on the Powermac that had a Dual Layer Pioneer Burner... but they&#39;d be spat out by any other Apple Mac with Combo or SuperDrive.

Problem solved by using DL DVD+Rs. Never worked out why DL DVD-Rs didn&#39;t mount.

Cheers,

ClockWork

PS: Has anyone ever encountered the Audio CDs that mount but won&#39;t rip in iTunes?

Squozen
22nd July 2006, 08:52 PM
I&#39;ve only ever seen a couple of discs that iTunes wouldn&#39;t easily rip, both from Warner. Fortunately most of the stuff I buy these days isn&#39;t from RIAA members.

cmjl
23rd July 2006, 02:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yinyang &#064; Jul 22 2006, 04&#58;19 PM) 197434</div>

you&#39;ll probably notice that the discs have a D.A.T.A imprinted on the inner portion of the CD (clear bit), on either or both sides...
[/b]
Thanks for that tip yinyang. One of the two CD&#39;s indeed has "D.A.T.A" on it, though the other does not. Could be some more pressing problems.

I have been able to get my hands on a Sony external DVD/CD reader/writer and both disks work OK on that one, so I&#39;ll be able to play my disks that way.

Thanks all for your assistance&#33;