PDA

View Full Version : I've been sent a "Voice clip"

froggy
22nd July 2006, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

As I was chatting to someone, they have sent me a 'voice clip' using MSN on their windoze machine. I use either Adium and aMSN but in aMSN, I'm told that I need the latest version of MSN. Does MSN for Mac support this, or is it only for windoze?

Is there any way that I can play the clip?

Cheers,
Andrew

ClockWork
22nd July 2006, 09:25 AM
Not that I know of - and I grant I may be wrong, yet I've never found a way, with MSN or aMSN. When the message provokes you to download the latest MSN Messenger, it's referring to the latest MSN Messenger for Windows only.

You might want to try out Mercury Messenger 1710 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25617) - a rather clever Mac emmulation of MSN for Windows, including webcam ability.

It appears to have all the same abilities as MSN Messenger 7 for Windows.

cheers,

ClockWork

froggy
22nd July 2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks CW. I thought that I probably couldn't hear the clip using any of aMSN, MSN for Mac or Adium.

If I get that Mercury Messenger, will I be able to go back somehow and listen? Will the sender be able to send it again? I honestly have no idea how stuff on that inferior platform works. (When people ask me for help with windoze, I tell them that I don't do windoze - and get some rather strange replies!)

Cheers,
Andrew

ClockWork
22nd July 2006, 09:54 AM
I believe they'd have to Send Again - in order to hear their signatured voice clip.
I've been using Mercury for quite some time now, and I think it's rather clever - after trying aMSN and Adium.

It has other features which not even MSN Messenger for Windows has - for instance, you can see by colour coding, who on your list has a webcam, who's Blocked you or who's Blocked and Deleted you, so for the ones who Blocked you one day, you can then be a total smart arse and ask them why they Blocked you on that particular day... just after they said they had to go. They'll be wracking their noggins how you knew.

;)

CW

thorevenge
22nd July 2006, 11:29 AM
Mercury is an awesome little MSN clone app that I adore for its webcam - works with Firewire iSight - but I found its stability lacking at times, hence I went back to MS's official client.

But definitely use Mercury - it is a great substitute as a Mac client for the MSN protocol to match the features of the Windows one.

mercury.to