PDA

View Full Version : Fast user switch without password

lukefleming
20th July 2006, 06:35 PM
anyone know a way to fast user switch withut a password. i know i can just use no password but then there is no security. i would like to have it so that once we have logged in once in each account we dont have to type a password to switch! anyone know how/if this can be done. cheers.

Rayd
20th July 2006, 07:20 PM
well having to not put in your password when switching defeats the purpose if your worried about security... then any user has any access to any file they want :P

AusMac
20th July 2006, 07:25 PM
I don't know what is so hard about typing a simplified password between each other.
Works fine here.
Why else would we have passwords if it was not about security?
Passwords are on a need to know basis.
I need to know my wife's password.. she does not need to know mine.
Unless you have otherwise altered it..
Any user can simply restart the machine from their account and end up in the Admin account.

ClockWork
20th July 2006, 07:30 PM
ummm - just create the second Account as either Standard or Admin, with no Password - yes?

That way, they can automatically log into their Account on Startup, but not into your's, and once in their side, they don't have any Access Priviledges to your Home folder or its content - or - if user switching from your Account to theirs, they don't need to put in a Password because they don't have one - yet in order to Log-Out of their's or to switch back to your's, there's no option but for you to key in your Password. Yes?

PS: I've yet to catch up on your Mac Mini thread.

cheers Luke,

may the sauce be with you

cw

lukefleming
21st July 2006, 12:35 PM
yeah thats what ive done clockwork,
i just want it so that once we (my fiance and i) have each logged into out account once we can freely switch without a the need to enter a password, i dont see this as any less secure. I still have to use a passwor to enter admin ac upon boot.
its not a big issue, i thought it would make computing easier if it was simplified.

ClockWork
21st July 2006, 01:17 PM
you could always bypass entering your Password on Login via Apple -> System Preferences... -> Accounts - then choose your Account, select Login Options, and check the: Automatically log in as: You, check box.

Still... how can you possibly have a trusting relationship if you and your fiance have Passwords... hmmm? What are you hiding from one another? ;)

cheers Luke,

cw

lukefleming
21st July 2006, 01:22 PM
:) no i want to get rid of the passwords
i want a password for admin security but just want to switch between the two without a password.
i was trying to convey that i dont see it as any less secure if mac os x let you do this, it is just like leaving your computer on all the time for anyone to use.

Disko
21st July 2006, 01:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 21 2006, 12&#58;47 PM) 197177</div>

you could always bypass entering your Password on Login via Apple -> System Preferences... -> Accounts - then choose your Account, select Login Options, and check the: Automatically log in as: You, check box.

Still... how can you possibly have a trusting relationship if you and your fiance have Passwords... hmmm? What are you hiding from one another? ;)

[/b]

Probably not helpful in this case because the OP stated "i know i can just use no password but then there is no security."

I don&#39;t think fast user switching without a password prompt is possible unless you remove the passwords anyway. :thumbdn:

edit: lukefleming, how about setting up an admin account, and then having your two other accounts set as &#39;standard&#39;, and password free. Set your login options to boot to "Name and Password". Then whoever uses the computer has to know a username of an account to get in. For admin stuff, type the administrator account&#39;s name/pass...
I reckon that is as close as you&#39;ll get to a result.

Currawong
21st July 2006, 01:33 PM
I can confirm - it&#39;s not possible.

ClockWork
21st July 2006, 01:39 PM
What a kerfuffle&#33;

by the way - what does OP stand for?

cheers,

cw

Edit: As to not post again - Over Proof - snaps fingers - Yes - of course&#33; - now I understand... that... whole connection... thing... yes...

Peanut anyone?

lukefleming
21st July 2006, 01:41 PM
Over Proof :)

thanks guys ill leave it how it is :)

Danamania
21st July 2006, 01:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ClockWork &#064; Jul 21 2006, 01&#58;39 PM) 197184</div>

What a kerfuffle&#33;

by the way - what does OP stand for?

[/b]

Original Poster, usually. I&#39;ve seen GP used for "Grandparent Poster" too

dana