PDA

View Full Version : OSX 10.4.7 - keyboard shortcuts not working!

Bexford
17th July 2006, 11:38 AM
Hi there

can anyone help?! just had a new mac installed at the office running OX10.4.7 and none of my keyboard shortcuts are working at all....is right across the board, not just in individual apps.

have restored defualt settings within the system prefs etc but has had no affect at all.

you never realise how much you rely on something till its gone!

any help much appreciated.

cheers
Bexford

ClockWork
17th July 2006, 11:49 AM
Bexford,

Open System Preferences and check the settings within Keyboard & Mouse (Keyboard Shortcuts) and within Speech as there's a few options in those Preferences that can disable all the Shortcuts.

Tell us what you see.

Ed: Also, have you got a new keyboard to go with your new machine, and if the problem persists, could you state what kind of machine you have there. Details.

cheers,

cw

Bexford
17th July 2006, 11:52 AM
hey cw

thanks for the reply.

just checked that an everything is ticked so seems that nothing is disabled at all!

any ideas?

cheers
bexford

ClockWork
17th July 2006, 11:53 AM
See edited reply above Bexford.

Bexford
17th July 2006, 11:57 AM
ok....yes, new keyboard with the mighty mouse...running off a PM G5 dual 2.3ghz.

cheers
Bexford

ClockWork
17th July 2006, 12:13 PM
Is it a wireless Keyboard / wireless Mouse?

Ed: And does it respond to the F9 key or the F11 key with Applications open?

Bexford
17th July 2006, 12:23 PM
no not wireless for either - and yes, DOES respond to F9 and F11 with apps open.

ClockWork
17th July 2006, 12:27 PM
*scratches head*

Have you done a Software Update (Apple menu - scroll down to Software Update...) and download latest updates?

Also - what happens if you switch keyboards with someone else - if you have another keyboard for the PMG5 in the office?

Repost after Software Update and keyboard swap - for positive / negative feed back.

cheers,

cw

Bexford
17th July 2006, 12:34 PM
no.....havent done an update - but thats a good idea.

as for chnaging keyboards...will give that a whirl and let you know how I go!

cheers
Bexford

Bexford
17th July 2006, 02:01 PM
great! the software update has worked a treat and all keyboard shortcuts are now working beautifully....thanks very much for all your help and advice.

cheers
Bexford

ClockWork
17th July 2006, 02:57 PM
Good good! I was fearing it was something more sinister.

cheers,

cw

DJY
17th July 2006, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you have another very happy customer there ClockWork...
and solution provided within the hour!

Mmmm if only other life situations were responded to as well!

ClockWork
17th July 2006, 05:54 PM
mmmm - yes - like ... where the hell is my wallet?

I imagine calling Telstra Directory Services:

"Hi - I've lost my favourite orange socks. I had them on just yesterday."

"They're behind the left side of the bed, next to where you took off your boots last night."

"Hey - Thanx!"

... and they were...

(Dial a Woman Diectories)

;)

cw

Bexford
19th July 2006, 10:28 AM
hey CW.....

and so it was a temporary state of bliss we had entered - when I came to the office the following day - the problem had returned!

it is driving me nuts to be honest... I am about to try another keyboard to see if that works....cos cant have another day without the shortcuts.

life is clearly a "missing wallet!"

cheers
Bexford

Mctastic
19th July 2006, 10:31 AM
what software do you run? Entourage for mail? design apps? i found when you opened a combo certain apps, their keyboard shortcuts conflicted

Bexford
19th July 2006, 10:37 AM
hey

yep, use Entourage for me mail - and am currently working in Flash MX 2004 and Freehand.

Bexford
19th July 2006, 10:55 AM
update as follows: just switched keyobards and all is working fine seemingly.

however this is only a temporary fix so if anyone does have a permanent solution - much appreciated!

cheers
Bexford

ClockWork
19th July 2006, 11:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bexford &#064; Jul 19 2006, 10&#58;55 AM) 196436</div>

update as follows: just switched keyobards and all is working fine seemingly.

however this is only a temporary fix so if anyone does have a permanent solution - much appreciated&#33;

cheers
Bexford
[/b]

hmmm... a permanent solution... now that&#39;s really asking alot&#33; okay - back to 20 questions:

It&#39;s a Powermac G5 right? And the Tower is sitting "under" your desk, yes?
Your keyboard is connected to what? A USB Extension? A USB Hub?
If you give your keyboard to another Mac user in the Office, does it play short-cut silly buggers with their Apple?

cw

Mctastic
19th July 2006, 11:38 AM
ok. first, sys prefs/keyboard&mouse panel: click on &#39;keyboard shortcuts&#39; look for options with a yellow triangle next to them(means they conflicting), if not, just disable the spotlight shortcut. it conflicts with shortcuts in Freehand. Next, go to entourage preferences. disable &#39;use microsoft office keyboard shortcuts for editing text&#39; under General.
depending on your memory situation, normally just quiting all your apps and starting them again works. otherwise you may need to restart.

edit: i may be off the mark here, .... &#39;cause you say all your shortcuts stop working...

ClockWork
19th July 2006, 12:21 PM
It would also appear you are having graphic difficulties with Flash MX and Mac OS 10.4 - click here (http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/) << may take sometime to load, as I believe hundreds of thousands like yourself are currently reading this Adobe site and looking at all its extra links. If it drops out the first time - hit it again, as the site does appear to be v busy. Have you got all Macromedia Updates?

It&#39;s beginning to look like certain problems bewteen Macromedia Applications and Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) - some of which have not been resolved yet.

Here are mpre links - again - slow to connect to:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...cfm?id=tn_18889 (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18889) - (under Mac OS 10.4 Only&#33;)

and a myriad of links from here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...cfm?id=tn_18893 (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18893) - concerning Macromedia & Tiger.

Q1: When all your Applications are "off", do you encounter the same keyboard problems? This is assuming its a problem twixt Macromedia and Tiger, as opposed to a problem with the keyboard itself.

Q2: Presumes you are working in a graphic studio. If it is not the keyboard that is the problem, and it turns out to be a series of conflicts between Macromedia and Tiger, is this actually your responsibility??

cheers,

cw