PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Folders Between Users

iDaife
14th July 2006, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question here. I have 2 users on my comp, and want to have the 'Documents' folder shared between the 2. I.e. so that they both access the same place. In XP it was possible to change the root destination so that the same files would be accessed, but I'm having difficulty doing that in OS X. Haha sorry, I'm a recent switcher...

Oh, I actually have another question too: How do I choose specific folders to save files (e.g. Word documents) into. All that comes up is 'Documents', 'Music', 'Desktop' etc when I try to save- E.g. I can't save into separate folders located in the general 'Documents' folder.

Thanks for your help, Dave;)

speedway boy
14th July 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm not the best help on these things but I'll give it a go :P

I'm guessing, but are you the administrator of the computer? It sounds like some kind of 'parental control' on which folders you can access. Just a guess.

morgan
14th July 2006, 09:00 PM
Put the documents folder in the folder users/shared. That folder is common to all. Otherwise it is possible to change the permissions on the documents folder to it read/write for others by clicking on documents and pushing apple-i.

iDaife
14th July 2006, 09:11 PM
But doesn't the shared folder mean that others can have access to it over the network?!

EDIT:

Ignore this- The 'Public' folder would be the folder which is shared over the network. Sorry.

Is it possible to keep the original Documents folder's icon with the shared folder's alias (the one with the page on it).

Currawong
14th July 2006, 09:34 PM
/Users/username/Public is shared over the network. /Users/Shared isn't as far as I can see from quick testing.

soulman
15th July 2006, 12:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Currawong &#064; Jul 14 2006, 08&#58;53 PM) 195001</div>
...You could just delete the Documents folder and instead alias /Users/Shared to /Users/username/Documents. That&#39;s the simplest option...[/b]Would docs created by one user definitely be editable by another in this scenario?

I ask because I have a similar situation - 3 users on one machine who all need access to the same subset of the documents they create & manage - and I have not been able to adequately resolve this for them. Docs often end up belonging to a particular group which means that one or both of the other users can&#39;t edit.

iDaife
15th July 2006, 12:41 AM
Another thing- It says that I have &#39;insufficient privileges&#39; to change the name of the Shared file&#39;s alias to &#39;Documents&#39;. My account is a admin account... how can I overcome this?&#33;

soulman
15th July 2006, 12:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDaife &#064; Jul 14 2006, 08&#58;33 PM) 194994</div>
...How do I choose specific folders to save files (e.g. Word documents) into. All that comes up is &#39;Documents&#39;, &#39;Music&#39;, &#39;Desktop&#39; etc when I try to save- E.g. I can&#39;t save into separate folders located in the general &#39;Documents&#39; folder...[/b]There is a control called a disclosure triangle which is usually to the right of the box where one types the file name. Click this and a folder hierarchy appears. It should be clear from this how the file can be saved in different places - just navigate by clicking the various folders that appear &/or by using the original popup menu that was visible before.

soulman
15th July 2006, 12:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iDaife &#064; Jul 15 2006, 12&#58;41 AM) 195045</div>
Another thing- It says that I have &#39;insufficient privileges&#39; to change the name of the Shared file&#39;s alias to &#39;Documents&#39;. My account is a admin account... how can I overcome this?&#33;[/b]That will probably be because the alias is owned by user &#39;system&#39; and group &#39;wheel&#39; or something like that. Get this information by selecting the alias file in Finder and then selecting &#39;Get Info&#39; from the file menu. Expose the &#39;Ownership & Permissions&#39; area of this window and adjust the Owner to you. You will need to enter your admin password to change the owner. Post back if this doesn&#39;t work.

iDaife
15th July 2006, 01:06 AM
Ey soulman, thanks for all your help in answering my questions- your a massive help&#33; I&#39;m off to bed now, but I&#39;ll be able to try all this tomorrow- I will post back how it goes then.

Thanks again dude, Dave

EDIT: Yep, it all worked&#33; Thanks again, Dave;)