PDA

View Full Version : AppleCare included with edu purchases?

scopegate
10th November 2004, 08:32 AM
When I bought my iBook a few years ago, I remember that AppleCare was included in the educational price. I've looking into a new machine, and wasn't sure whether that was still the case. A look here (http://store.apple.com.au/buy/education/) shows it listed (bottom right) as a separately priced item :huh:
What's the story, could someone tell me?

cheers,
Fred. :)

iSlayer
10th November 2004, 08:33 AM
i thought it was included but the fact the you can buy it seperatly makes me wonder

decryption
10th November 2004, 08:46 AM
With educational purchases, AppleCare is no longer included. It's been like that for a few months now.
The standard 1 year warranty is still included, but not an extended warranty.
It's a shame, I know, but eh...

zefi
10th November 2004, 09:23 AM
Apple recently changed the pricing structure for educational discount, as mentioned it has reduced the warranty - this isn't a really good idea in my book. This is a major selling point for some students.

The other thing that has changed is, the edu discount used to be available for alumni; so anyone who graduated from a eligible university. The other good thing is that TAFE students can now claim the discount, where as they weren't able to under the old scheme.

king89
10th November 2004, 09:26 AM
I don't know if this is still the case, but when I bought my PowerBook 6 months ago (has it been that long) I got an extended warranty on my laptop, however it only included 90 days phone support. This is all under edu. pricing.

So it is like applecare, without the extended phone support.

aj

zefi
10th November 2004, 09:29 AM
I believe 90 days telephone support is standard on any Apple product you buy. And the scheme was changed ever so recently this year, I could check the date for you ... but from memory it was maybe 4-5 months ago?

macmate
10th November 2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by zefi@Nov 10 2004, 09:23 AM
Apple recently changed the pricing structure for educational discount, as mentioned it has reduced the warranty - this isn't a really good idea in my book. This is a major selling point for some students.

The other thing that has changed is, the edu discount used to be available for alumni; so anyone who graduated from a eligible university. The other good thing is that TAFE students can now claim the discount, where as they weren't able to under the old scheme.
another thing worth noting is that apple never came with edu. an extended warranty did. apple care include techtools which is actually worth quite a bit. this you never got with EDU. also the warranty was a local warranty. This has now changed to an international warranty.

QueenOfSwords
10th November 2004, 04:16 PM
Yeah I got my iBook last December under the old EDU scheme, so presumably its covered for three years. I hope i don't have to find out. :huh: But no extra stuff.
I was surprised to see it had changed. For what its worth, you can get additional warranty cheaper than Applecare if you buy from a large retailer, but YMMV.

purana
10th November 2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by QueenOfSwords@Nov 10 2004, 04:16 PM
Yeah I got my iBook last December under the old EDU scheme, so presumably its covered for three years. I hope i don't have to find out. :huh: But no extra stuff.
I was surprised to see it had changed. For what its worth, you can get additional warranty cheaper than Applecare if you buy from a large retailer, but YMMV.
If you post me a serial number I'll check for you ;) I think I still have access to this part of apples website since leaving my old job where we used it on a regular basis.

DJY
10th November 2004, 06:04 PM
This was the final factor in my switch date!
I was advised the three yr warranty with EDUC pricing was stopping Jun 28 2004? (or was that the end of Jun 04)...

thats what pushed me into buying mine!
Means I get 3yrs warranty not 1! Oh yeah and saved a heap of cash - which I converted into extra RAM.

Phillip
10th November 2004, 06:15 PM
The level of support for iPods have dropped as well. Now you get support for one case only with the standard warranty.

moo
10th November 2004, 07:23 PM
There are 2 types of warranty / 'applecare' for edu;

1. individual purchase is 1 year only (used to be 3 years but ended on 28 June 2004)
2. institutional purchase is still 3 years.

hth

downsys
10th November 2004, 08:21 PM
whoa...Thank God i got my iBook 4 days before June 28th :blink:

Febs
10th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Nov 10 2004, 05:49 PM
If you post me a serial number I'll check for you ;) I think I still have access to this part of apples website since leaving my old job where we used it on a regular basis.
The username/password is still the same. ;)

another thing worth noting is that apple never came with edu. an extended warranty did. apple care include techtools which is actually worth quite a bit. this you never got with EDU.

Yeah that's right. Edu purchases came with "Tricare", not AppleCare. Basically just a three-year warranty, with nothing else. It really is a shame they dropped it - it was by far the biggest incentive.

The other thing that has changed is, the edu discount used to be available for alumni; so anyone who graduated from a eligible university.

Yep, a real shame too. I go to an AUC member university (in fact, the AUC website is a subdomain of my uni's website! :)), and next year is my last year. I really would've liked to keep receiving edu discounts for the rest of my life.. :(

macmate
10th November 2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by iodine@Nov 10 2004, 05:49 PM
call 133 622 and ask them. you give serial and they give expire date. but their date will be different to the real date. real date is 3 year from invoice but apples is 3 years from shipping.

Febs
10th November 2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by macmate@Nov 10 2004, 09:53 PM
call 133 622 and ask them. you give serial and they give expire date. but their date will be different to the real date. real date is 3 year from invoice but apples is 3 years from shipping.
If the product's been registered though, then the expiry date in Apple's system is the real date (ie: from or around the invoice date).

macmate
10th November 2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Febs@Nov 10 2004, 10:15 PM
If the product's been registered though, then the expiry date in Apple's system is the real date (ie: from or around the invoice date).
yep, sorry forgot about that.....

ajs
10th November 2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I was going to chime in that the edu care plan was called Tri-Care but Febs was all over it. :)

Pity it does not exist anymore - it was a good selling point for those in the education sector. I was lucky with my laptop - I actually had a screen and topcase replaced under Tri-Care. Initially, I only went in for a new power-supply but the tech took pity on my machine and it looks good as new these days. :D

International Warranty is a good addition to AppleCare though - especially for those who travel with their PowerBooks/iBooks.

OziMac
11th November 2004, 06:06 AM
Yep - the decline of tricare is definitely a shame, because three years of support really sees out the peak use-life of the product, whereas less things tend to go wrong in the first year. But they never offered tricare anywhere else as far as I can remeber, and definitely not even in the US.

And I totally agree ajs - the international warranty is a godsend for travellers - as well as for people fortunate enough to bring home Apple products from overseas too.

QueenOfSwords
12th November 2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by macmate@Nov 10 2004, 09:53 PM
Good to know. I should check. Thanks.

jeremy
13th November 2004, 12:13 AM
Damn I had to shell out for 'apple care' on edu pricing. Was $420 so I think a bit cheaper than full pricing?

But also the apple centre where I bought from were misleading. I asked if I could think about it or if I had to get it before I used the laptop and they implied the later. Neither did they tell me about any cooling off period, I'm not 100% sure if they have to do that for an upfront service purchase or if it's just for contracts where there is an ongoing payment. However, I did notice in the terms that you can get a full refund within 30 days (minus any service you've had carried out under the plan). I also read that you can sign up for apple care at any time under the 1 yr standard warranty.

I'm not sure that they mislead me deliberately (I would say they hadn't read the terms), though I do see their incentive in signing people up on it. While they only get something like 6% on edu sales, if any service needs to be carried out under apple care then as an Apple Centre, they'd get paid by Apple to do the job.

So what do others think anyway? Is Apple Care worth the extra $420? I can only think that if anything goes wrong with the display and I need it replaced, then it's probably well and truly worth it. Even though there is the whole duty of care thing where if you're paying $2,000 for a laptop, if it just dies out of the blue after 2.5yrs (i.e. due to a fault) that'd seem unreasonable and they'd be expected to replace it, warranty or no warranty. Though warranties do mean less hassle when that happens (for one, hopefully you don't have to deal with consumer affairs) and should hopefully mean that you get better service.

Febs
20th November 2004, 11:14 PM
I always purchase AppleCare, but not until ~11 months of my warranty are up. Why? Well if a major component dies once under warranty, then dies again (all within the original 12 months), I'll demand a free 3 year warranty.

When my DP500MHz G4 (top of the line at the time - over $7,500rrp ffs!) had its motherboard and front panel board die once, Apple said if it happened again, they'd give me Tricare for free. It didn't happen again, so I bought an APP for it after 10-11 months.

Cheers,
- Febs.