PDA

View Full Version : Trackpads....

mechcon
14th July 2006, 07:58 AM
I always wondered, now that all the new notebooks can do the two finger "rightclick" (where you hold two fingers down on the trackpad, and click on the button to secondary (or rightclick)

i wonder if it's possible on a powerbook g4 (purchased in june 2005) ? I suppose what im asking more, is.. is it a hardware or a software thing?

Muzza_77
14th July 2006, 09:26 AM
I think that it would probably be both, aka. The trackpads in the powerbooks can't detect the rquired information for it to be possible and they also need the software.

the_OM
14th July 2006, 09:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muzza_77 &#064; Jul 14 2006, 09&#58;26 AM) 194736</div>

I think that it would probably be both, aka. The trackpads in the powerbooks can&#39;t detect the rquired information for it to be possible and they also need the software.
[/b]

I think it could be..... the newer powerbooks had the scrolling trackpad, which someone managed to write a driver for so that the old powerbooks could do it as well.
So it could be possible for someone to write one for this.

mechcon
14th July 2006, 09:37 AM
out of stupidity.. and boredom... oh and curiousity, i put 2 fingers on the trackpad and clicked on the desktop (knowing it wouldn&#39;t work) but it was able to read the two fingers on the trackpad (As the cursor didn&#39;t move anywhere)

I&#39;d be very intrigued to see if it&#39;s possible&#33;&#33;

Mikey
14th July 2006, 09:40 AM
Mechcon,

You need Sidetrack. Up/down and sideways scrolling (side to side is a bit hit and miss with my old 12" PB), double click, assign corners etc. If you don&#39;t mind a reminder to cough up some loot everytime you lift your lid, its free, too&#33;

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

I don&#39;t know how anyone can use a non-scrolling powerbook without sidetrack (or any laptop, really).

BTW my &#39;right click&#39; is just a single tap to the bottom right corner of the trackpad. Much more elegant than two fingers on the pad and then clicking, IMHO.

gurgle
14th July 2006, 09:53 AM
yeah i cant imagine using a lappy without sidetrack
another :thumbup: for it

Mikey
14th July 2006, 10:08 AM
Woo Hoo - I just downloaded Sidetrack version 1.4.1 (I had been running 1.0.1 or something) and the side to side scrolling works first time - I just run my finger along the bottom of the trackpad. It was a bit of an iffy feature for me before - sometimes it would work and sometimes not, which is a bit frustrating on the limited screen real estate (as they say) of a 12" PB&#33; Works a treat now on a very small Appletalk window (am I allowed to call it a &#39;window&#39; on Appletalk?)

mechcon
14th July 2006, 10:17 AM
problem is that two finger scrolling is disabled with that program installed.. which sucks

Mikey
14th July 2006, 10:28 AM
Sucks?? Why are you so into having to use two fingers to scroll? I just run a single finger down the right side or along the bottom of the trackpad to scroll. I have checked out the two finger scrolling, but to my Sidetrack-accustomed fingers, it seems clunky, and I don&#39;t have the right click function. Also, you can assign scrolling to any side of the pad, and mouse clicks (supports 5 buttons) or keyboard shortcuts to any corner. You can adjust sensitivity of single or double tapping, adjust how big the scrolling/corner tapping areas are etc.

Two fingers? Two schmingers. Just install Sidetrack and stop moaning. (&#33;)

bartron
14th July 2006, 10:37 AM
Don&#39;t knock using two fingers util you have a good go at it....once you start using two fingers it&#39;s hard to go back to one (all you filthy minded teenagers get your eyes off that sentence <_< ).

I find myself trying to do the two fingered scrolling thing on the Dell notebooks at work becasue it&#39;s second nature to me now....and didn&#39;t take long to get that way. I tried sidetrack and while it was ok I couldn&#39;t really get used to it....horses for courses I guess.

mechcon
14th July 2006, 10:43 AM
either way, the company are looking into fixing it up so that two finger scrolling is included in the next version.. maybe then i&#39;ll consider getting it..

DJY
14th July 2006, 11:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mikey &#064; Jul 14 2006, 10&#58;08 AM) 194753</div>

Woo Hoo - I just downloaded Sidetrack version 1.4.1 (I had been running 1.0.1 or something)[/b]

Thanks for the heads up mate&#33;
I also can&#39;t imagine using my PB without SideTrack.
Did notice though I was on 1.2.1 so I&#39;m heaing over to download more recent version as well&#33;

Aa
14th July 2006, 11:29 AM
I&#39;ve given the Apple two finger option, Sidetrack and iScroll options all a go and out of all it&#39;s iScroll that comes up trumps for me.

Nice and customisable (sorts out nearly all of the complaints you will ever see about it) and really works beautifully once you become accustomed to it. but... won&#39;t work on 2005+ notebooks.

Sidetrack is good also but can be a little sluggish - particularly after sleeps or inactivity. This may have been addressed in the most recent builds though, but i haven&#39;t gone back.
It&#39;s not really free though if you get popups reminding you all the time to donate...

I&#39;m not looking forward to losing iScroll when i eventually update to a MacBook Pro

mechcon
14th July 2006, 11:39 AM
the bonus at least with a macbook pro, you get the two finger scrolling, and doing that two-finger rightclick, dont forget that&#33; :P

Peter Wells
14th July 2006, 12:00 PM
iscroll doeast two finger scrolling and right clicking. i prefer it to sidetrack.

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/17240

mechcon
14th July 2006, 12:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iboy &#064; Jul 14 2006, 12&#58;00 PM) 194837</div>

iscroll doeast two finger scrolling and right clicking. i prefer it to sidetrack.
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/17240
[/b]

sadly wont let me install it on my powerbook, probably cos i already got the two finger scrolling...

Peter Wells
14th July 2006, 12:27 PM
actually, just tried out sidetrack again for the first time in months, and it has improved alot. it has now replaced iscroll on my computer&#33; that is all.

mechcon
14th July 2006, 01:36 PM
halloh... what&#39;s this then...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27485

bugga... it wont work on the powerbook neither...