PDA

View Full Version : Entourage vs Mail.app

cogo
16th February 2004, 08:45 AM
i have been using entourage since 10.1, but have been wanting to move over to mail.app for awhile now. Ive had a bit of a play around with it but i cant seem to find the following features:

-partially recieving emails
Mail.app supports this, but it prompts you every damn time a message comes through! can this be disabled? Thunderbird and Entouage have this feature...

-online access
allowing you to view your emails subjects without downloading the whole message....clicking on the message then downloads them for you

-smart address books
when you want to compose a message to someone that has sent you an email, but dont have them in your address book Entourage is smart enough to auto fill the rest of the details out - i cant seem to enable this in mail.app

am i just overlooking the obvious? or dont they exist?

Disko
16th February 2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by cogo@Feb 16 2004, 09:15 AM
-smart address books
when you want to compose a message to someone that has sent you an email, but dont have them in your address book Entourage is smart enough to auto fill the rest of the details out - i cant seem to enable this in mail.app
That one works for me, but i'm not sure about the other two.

If you've got a stored message, (or maybe it's just a sent message?) then mail remembers the address.

Currawong
16th February 2004, 05:50 PM
I have twice switched to mail.app and twice I've gone back to Entourage. Why? If mail.app can't login to an account, it disables mail checking on it. When I discovered this was when I found a heap of angry emails from people who were wondering why I wasn't replying to their messages.

Also, Entourage handles mail so much better, and tracks it so much better than anything else.

hawker
17th February 2004, 01:04 PM
as much as I hate Microsoft, Entourage is a great program...

don't know much about Mail, opened it once and just laughed :P

mhollis
23rd February 2004, 01:06 PM
I realize that you are dealing with an application that you know. So part of the issue between Entourage and Mail.App is the old "Word Processor Debate," which comes down to "The one you know is always the best one."

I can enter partial addresses in Mail.App. But it does a lookup in the Address Book database -- if your database is in Entourage, it won't find it.

Mail.App will take an account off-line once it cannot check mail. The work around is to restart it or to manually sync. Off-line mail boxes are greyed out, so you should use that as a hint that you should check.

Mail.App is not a Microsoft product and, thus, does not suffer from the possibility that a Visual Basic for Applications Macro Virus may mess with it. While I think that Microsoft makes fine products, I simply will not connect to the Internet with one. They are too large a target for virus and worm spreaders.

That said, Entourage is a fine product and, until the latest incarnation of Mail.App, has been superior.

cogo
26th February 2004, 09:20 AM
I can enter partial addresses in Mail.App. But it does a lookup in the Address Book database -- if your database is in Entourage, it won't find it.

sorry i think i kinda explained this kinda wrong. What i meant was your using Entourage, say someone sends you an email....someone you dont have an entry in your Entourage address book. You delete this message so you have lost their email address.
You want to send this person an email, but dont know their email address.....what Entourage lets you do when composing a message is enter the first letter or so of their name/email address, and it will fill out the rest for you - kind of like if they were in your address book.
Very handy for lazy asses like me :)

Mail.App is not a Microsoft product and, thus, does not suffer from the possibility that a Visual Basic for Applications Macro Virus may mess with it.

Umm...AFAIK, VB and macro virus' dont affect Entourage cause they are platform specific? At least i hope so!

looks like im stitcking with Entourage for the time being then....

Disko
26th February 2004, 09:38 AM
I heard that VB and macro viruses could infect microsoft mac software - but not do any damage to the system.

#of virii for macos X = 0
#of virii for macos X with office installed = ~1200 (afaik)

Shawry
26th February 2004, 05:58 PM
Entourage has a much nicer icon :)

I like all the office.mac icons :)

mhollis
27th February 2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by cogo@Feb 26 2004, 09:20 AM
VB and macro virus' dont affect Entourage cause they are platform specific? At least i hope so!
Sounds like you are hopeful but incorrect.

I shall never willingly use a Microsoft product on any computer, unless mandated by management who will take the hit for the worms, trojans, virii and 'bots, to connect to the Internet. I just won't. I recommend to all my friends that, if they're on a pee cee that they use Eudora or something that Microsoft didn't make.

And Microsoft's (very nice) e-mail programs on the Mac do run VBA code and do suffer from the same security holes that their pee cee counterparts have (if not more).

This is not to say that your decision to stick to their application is wrong but it does suggest you always run a virus checking program on your Mac, which will waste a lot of processor time that, perhaps, you could enjoy in other ways.