PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro back from repair

stevekicks
12th July 2006, 10:23 PM
hey fellas..

about two weeks ago i took my macbook pro into the malvern applecenter to show them what i thought were dead pixels. apparently it was dust, but either way, they ordered me a new screen.

i took it in on tuesday night so they could install it and told the techie about the whine. he said he'd check it out and let me know. it was ready to pickup wednesday so i went to get it and they told me that they ordered a new board.. so i took it in today (thurs) at lunch time and it was done by 5.

so over a course of three days i got a new screen and a new logic board - which is great because now there's no irritating whine.

just a few questions though... the serial number is no longer displayed in system profiler - is this normal? i know when HP replace motherboards, they can put in the original serial into the new board. lastly, the fan seems to be on the whole time. im pretty sure its the fan because i can still hear it when the hdd spins down. is this normal? i have to admit that above the F keys is alot cooler than it used to get but remember reading something somewhere that said if the fans where on the whole time, its bad.

cheers.

applecollector
12th July 2006, 10:35 PM
i have 3 things to say.
1. Today is wednesday and not thursday :-P
2. yes the serial number will not be displayed after a logic board has been replaced.
3. If the fans are on all the time it seems like something is still wrong...ummm u might need to get this one checked out.

QueenOfSwords
13th July 2006, 06:52 AM
You can see 'fan always on full blast behaviour' when the logic board is swapped out, if they've neglected to reconnect the thermal sensors. A few people removed the excess thermal grease on their MBPs, got very cool temperatures, and then realised the fan was never spinning down.....

On the other hand, since the SMC update, the fans have been more aggressive. The left hand fan on my MBP does seem to run all the time. How loud is the fan?

stevekicks
13th July 2006, 07:48 AM
the fan can barely be heard.. so i dont think its on full blast. i could hear it last night when i was using it in bed. i cant hear it this morning, where as i would've heard the whine if it was still there.

Ozi
13th July 2006, 09:29 AM
I think you should still take it back and get them to run the Apple Service DIagnostic over it: this would test the Fans to make sure they are ok, and connected properly.

It is normal for you to no longer see the Serial Number in about this mac. It is, however, still visible in the battery bay. :)